Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    redvee wrote:
    50x17 gearing isn't any good above 37mph. I was pedalling but there was no resistance from the freewheel. Before people suggest I change gear, I can't on a SS.

Good spinning I tend to not get above 30mph ish.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Had my annual check up with the oncologist. Now 9 years clear, only one more check and they sign me off.
    And my new frame arrived today.
    Today is a good day. :-)
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Had my annual check up with the oncologist. Now 9 years clear, only one more check and they sign me off.

A very good day! Congrats :D
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    The Mighty Pickle has a sister; The Disco Chicken arrived on Sunday morning, eight weeks early and weighing 3lb 14oz.

Currently in ICU but no concerns; was both jaundice and carrying infection markers but both are in decline following antibiotics and UV disco lights. She's breathing on her own but is still in an incubator.

She's wicked.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Well done Mrs A & all the best to premmie D.C.
    Think the CFO would have preferred that weight to the 8lb 14oz #2 addition.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Veronese68 wrote:

Congrats!

On another happy sidenote: Sunshine! Glorious sunshine! And cold, icy headwinds. But still, sunshine!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • veronese68
    Asprilla wrote:
    The Mighty Pickle has a sister; The Disco Chicken arrived on Sunday morning, eight weeks early and weighing 3lb 14oz.

Currently in ICU but no concerns; was both jaundice and carrying infection markers but both are in decline following antibiotics and UV disco lights. She's breathing on her own but is still in an incubator.

She's wicked.
    Excellent news. Congratulations to you all. :D
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Asprilla wrote:

She's wicked.

Congratulations! And don't worry about the weight (or lack of) - I was 4lbs4oz when I was born, and am now a healthy strapping young(ish) lady :D

Part of me wishes her real name really was Disco Chicken....
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • asprilla
    msmancunia wrote:
    Part of me wishes her real name really was Disco Chicken....

There is still time, she's not being registered until tomorrow.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • veronese68
    We couldn't think of a name for our daughter at first. Our son suggested Charlie. So she was Charlie for the first few days.
    Not as good as Dico Chicken I grant you.
  • asprilla
    The main reason for the name is that she's been under UV lights for the last few days, including one under her back; all the photos make it look like she's in a night club with an illuminated dance floor.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    Congratulations Asprilla (and family). Good news for Veronese, too.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Asprilla wrote:
    The main reason for the name is that she's been under UV lights for the last few days, including one under her back; all the photos make it look like she's in a night club with an illuminated dance floor.

Well - in which case I would call her Charlotte.

Why?

Niki-125.JPG

The Disco Chicken in Charlotte, North Carolina ( http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/28428 )
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • asprilla
    Funny you should mention that..

Two names have been decided, but the third is still up for grabs.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • M-A-S
    M-A-S Posts: 87
    Congratulations Asprilla, sounds like all is going well thus far, considering, fingers crossed she'll be out soon.

My son (now almost 8 months) was born 5 weeks early and was in Kingston ICU for a few days, he had jaundice and had the disco lights, also had a disco box for a couple of days too! He's now a "healthy" boy!

He was born the day after the Olympic road race, so we were handily placed to pop down and see the peloton rush by, my wife actually waddled down with broken waters to see it!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Congratulations.

WRT names, a friend has chosen a name for her kid with seven separate names, two hyphens, two apostrophes and at least 35 characters. Please don't do anything like that.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Asprilla wrote:

She's wicked.

Congratulations to you, Mrs A and MP, great news!
  • DrLex
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Congratulations.

WRT names, a friend has chosen a name for her kid with seven separate names, two hyphens, two apostrophes and at least 35 characters. Please don't do anything like that.

Of course, non-alphabetic characters in names can be fun:

exploits_of_a_mom.png
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Congrats Asprilla!!

can i suggest the name Boadicea, it seems a nice strong name
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • mudcow007 wrote:
    Congrats Asprilla!!

can i suggest the name Boadicea, it seems a nice strong name

I know a girl from Liverpool who called all her 5 daughters Boadicea.

I said "Doesn't that get confusing when you just want to call one of them?"

"Nah", she replied, "In that case I use their surname ......! :roll:

Congratulations Asprilla.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • veronese68
    Just got in from a great night with some good friends drinking some damned fine ale whilst listening to punk anthems from my youth played in a hillbilly style, complete with dualling banjos. I may be a little worse for wear. I promised to only have a couple of pints. In my defence I only had one drink, unfortunately I had rather a lot of it. Oh well ...
  • veronese68
    Well done to DPD and Evans Cycles. Due to some sort of mix up I only got one brake with my frame. Sigma couldn't get another one for at least 10 days, so I ordered one from Wiggle on Wednesday. Then I got a mail from them saying it was out of stock. May have been my fault for not checking. So I ordered one from Evans on Thursday as they were showing stock. I went for next day delivery to get it on Tuesday. Saturday delivery was £10 more and I probably won't finish until Tuesday. Got a text this morning and it was delivered before 10am. Excellent.
    Unfortunately I'm decorating. Hey ho.
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    Just back from a great Easter weekend in the Black Mountains. Lots of snow on the mountains and much fun using the snowshoes I had wisely packed!
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    In spite of severe Guinness impairment, I didn't fall asleep on the train but got off at the correct stop :shock:
    Misguided Idealist
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    No longer a proby in work, been told verbally I've passed and will be given the letter confirming it tomorrow :)
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • veronese68
    redvee wrote:
    No longer a proby in work, been told verbally I've passed and will be given the letter confirming it tomorrow :)
    Excellent, well done.
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Is it "be nice to cyclists day" today? I had people keep their dogs to one side as I approached on the Waggonways and a white van man waited for me to pass BEFORE I had come through a line of cars parked on both sides of the road!
    Wish it was like this every day.
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Its Friday.

Its nearly home time.

Its not freezing.

The Wind has dropped (a bit).

Its still daylight.

Its Friday.

I have Gin in the fridge.

Going to Vintage Bike Cave on the way home.

Its Friday and I have Gin in the fridge.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    rubertoe wrote:

You refrigerate your Gin?!
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • DrLex
    davis wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

You refrigerate your Gin?!

Makes for a decent Martini; why wouldn't you?
    Vodka goes in the freezer.