Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    After Christmas, in an attempt to welcome people back from work, gas main work has started in Disley on the A6.

Today, to provide a properly intense experience, the temporary traffic lights were stuck on red. The tailback was about a mile when I went past at quarter to seven this morning. Apparently this got a lot worse later on, according to colleagues...

I cycled past at about 10-15mph - so slower than normal for that stretch and added maybe 5-minutes to my commute into work.

Cycling is the least frustrating commuting.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I was very considerately overtaken by a British Gypsum lorry this morning.

I thought it only fair to reciprocate a couple of miles later 8)

As soon as traffic hits, the bike is always faster. :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Asprilla wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:
    In other anti-rant news, my new job is ace! :D
    Can you tell us what it is yet? If not just whisper and I promise not to tell.
    Oh, and really happy for you.

PM'ed you :lol:

Glad to hear that. Mine too is ace but it does have some drawbacks; I'm knackered after the 05.15 alarm call this morning and I think I no-longer commute by bike..... I think I'll be working from home most of the time though so morning and lunchtime laps of the park.

That's great! Although a 0515 alarm is horrid - I thought I was hard done by with a 0845 start time, 30 min lunch break and a no food at your desk rule :-( Still, the positives outweigh the negatives.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    msmancunia wrote:
    [That's great! Although a 0515 alarm is horrid - I thought I was hard done by with a 0845 start time, 30 min lunch break and a no food at your desk rule :-( Still, the positives outweigh the negatives.
    NO FOOD AT YOUR DESK!!!! :shock: :o :shock:
    Don't they know cyclists need fuel?
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I know - of all places, you think they'd understand. :shock: All down to some minor insect infestation last summer apparently. Still, I've managed to slyly eat a salmon sandwich and toffee crisp at my desk without anyone noticing. Helps that I have an office of my own :D
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Had my work rota for the year and my days off fall on the days before or after holidays I've already booked.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Just to counter the rant about this mornings visit from the PF.

I must say that this is a fantistic bit of kit for the money.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    edited January 2013
    Just to counter the rant about this mornings visit from the PF.

I must say that this is a fantistic bit of kit for the money.

*** SO GOOD POSTED IT TWICE***
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    edited January 2013
    a recent cassette an chain & cables

now my shifts are are smooth as a shaved babies bum
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • So, after over-gearing on monday and tuesday for a bit of training, I had to take a rest yesterday.... The camper starts first time after being sat since xmas eve. The Skints in the CD player - Happy Days!

Back on the bike today and there is NO WIND - amazing! Topped off by a new PB for the inward leg....though this was marginally assisted by a fantastic drafting opportunity.

Good Times.
    AKA Captain Blackbeard
    Going Top to Bottom - E2E for Everyman and Headway - Spet 2013
  • Kieran_Burns
    Various weather reports are showing proper freezing weather and possible snow next week.

Bring

It

On.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Various weather reports are showing proper freezing weather and possible snow next week.

Bring

It

On.

+1.

Mud/snow tyres on the truck (can't get 'em spiked thanks to the law), Ice spikers ready for both MTB and semi-cross-commuter-made-o'-girders-bike.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • veronese68
    I went to see the physio for my hand yesterday and I finally remembered to ask a vitally important question.
    "Will I be able to play the piano when it's all better?" I asked. She assured me that I would. "Great, because I couldn't before." I replied.
    She did laugh and I haven't been banned. I was even given a cape. Not of the KB type though, no idea why it's called a cape. It's some sort of springy torture device that pushes my finger straight. I did point out that Batman wouldn't be seen dead with such a thing.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I went to see the physio for my hand yesterday and I finally remembered to ask a vitally important question.
    "Will I be able to play the piano when it's all better?" I asked. She assured me that I would. "Great, because I couldn't before." I replied.
    She did laugh and I haven't been banned. I was even given a cape. Not of the KB type though, no idea why it's called a cape. It's some sort of springy torture device that pushes my finger straight. I did point out that Batman wouldn't be seen dead with such a thing.

Ironically, something you couldn't do until you got the torture device :lol:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • veronese68
    Veronese68 wrote:

Ironically, something you couldn't do until you got the torture device :lol:
    Very good. :lol:
    I've taken it as a sign I should definitely get a new CX with discs.
  • Widgey
    Widgey Posts: 157
    Out on a ride today, it was cold, raining and grey. But two small children in the back of the bus in front of me were waving and giving me the thumbs up. It made their day when I waved back.
  • redvee
    Seven and a half hours overtime tomorrow and I have to ride in as well.
  • redvee
    Leaving Evans store with more money in my bank account than when I walked in :D
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    redvee wrote:
    Leaving Evans store with more money in my bank account than when I walked in :D
    Should that be the first post in a "Thread to announce unbelievable or unique events"?

And since it's the Anti-rant thread, happy to have taken time to push a chicken (not a euphemism) off the top tube of the ice bike and rumble in on Marathon Winters this morning, with a tenner's worth of cheap planet x lights ablaze. Shot past two roadies with ease (& almost tangible smugness).
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Just had a letter from my life assurance people. Apparently I've been paying 55p to much on my policy! :x
    They now owe me £195.85! :lol:
  • redvee
    I had to remove my buff mid-ride last night, was a lot warmer than the daytime ride to work.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Almost 2 months ago I ordered one of the new Google Nexus 4 phones as even though there was no stock it seemed the best phone for what I wanted to pay for a new one.

Got an email today informing me it's been shipped and TNT's tracker says it's out for delivery.

I just hope the delivery van can get up the street through the snow :(
  • redvee
    Was asked to do an hour overtime and told it was job and knock and we'll be paid for the hour regardless. At 22:07 we were finished and paid till 23:00 :D
  • mudcow007
    work pays for my internet connection at home - so i can dial into work an work from home etc

just been told that for months they haven't been paying for it so they owe me money...

£450 woop woop woop!!!
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Driving home last night along an unlit NSL road I saw a cyclist with a front light so bright I thought it was a moped or small motorcycle till I saw he had a helmet light as well.

Nice to see some cyclist at least trying to make themselves visible in the sea of car headlights unlike everyone else who seem to have the smallest dimmest light they can find.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    Riding home with sleet lashing my face was surprisingly pleasant :)
  • cookdn
    cookdn Posts: 410
    The eccentric lightless black overcoated ninja cyclist I have seen most mornings at about 0730 this winter on his shopping bike

pashley-princess-classic-ladies-bicycle.-948-p.jpg

now has a rear light. He has attached one of these to his seatpost:

KnogFrog.jpg

Hopefully he will now make it into the spring time and the light mornings. :D:wink:
    Boardman CX Team
  • mudcow007
    Just booked my CBT so i can finally ride my old CG125 woop woop woop
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I rode in today.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    I have a day off today.

Might go and do some riding along the seafront before the rain arrives.