Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The terms 'bike related' and 'dream job' means she can sit in work daydreaming about bikes, a bit like the current job :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Forgot to pack boxers this morning. Now realising how comfortable it is to go commando, as long as the heating doesn't stop working!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Finally got round to trying a router in every phone socket in the new house, but no joy; still no Internet. Was going to call BT today and get it sorted.

Then bizarrely a BT engineer rungs the doorbell at 8 this morning investigating a fault with a neighbours line. He comes in, wife explains problems we are having and engineer bloke immediately sets about fitting new sockets for use FOC.

Nice, although it does worry me slightly that BT are experimenting with telepathy and mind reading in their customer service teams.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Got my formal letter and start my new job on 2nd Jan :D
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    msmancunia wrote:
    Got my formal letter and start my new job on 2nd Jan :D

can you divulge now??
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • msmancunia
    Not sure until I get there. Can't be too hard to work out though, can it, given where I live and the fact that it's bike related?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    msmancunia wrote:
    Not sure until I get there. Can't be too hard to work out though, can it, given where I live and the fact that it's bike related?
    Nailing down any boards that spring up?
  • msmancunia
    Not personally, but I'll know a man who can :wink:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    msmancunia wrote:
    Oh. I thought it was infernal within the Beeb.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

Sorry Veronese which meaning of infernal did you intend when refering to the Beeb?

in·fer·nal (n-fûrnl)
    adj.
    a. Of or relating to a lower world of the dead.
    b. Of or relating to hell: infernal punishments; infernal powers.
    2. Fiendish; diabolical: infernal instruments of war.
    3. Abominable; awful: the infernal racket of the jackhammers.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Veronese68 wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

Sorry Veronese which meaning of infernal did you intend when refering to the Beeb?

in·fer·nal (n-fûrnl)
    adj.
    a. Of or relating to a lower world of the dead.
    b. Of or relating to hell: infernal punishments; infernal powers.
    2. Fiendish; diabolical: infernal instruments of war.
    3. Abominable; awful: the infernal racket of the jackhammers.
    I was deliberately misspelling internal. Standard practice round here as anything internal tends to mean most of the above.
  • redvee
    msmancunia will be a working in the McDs concession at Manchester velodrome :lol: Give it 6 months and she'll be a one star employee, till then it's cleaning tables.
  • CiB
    To the regular Saturday morning boys' U11 football yesterday, even though we fully expected it be called off due to the cold. No. When the coach strolls over to us having a coffee & chat whilst the boys warm up and he asks for a linesman, I stick my hand up mentioning that I have my cycling base layer on to keep warm.

It's like a switch - three of the parents instantly have their radar kicked into action - 'aah cyclist eh?' [even though they've seen us turn up bikes most weeks]. So I brace myself, and here it comes - the first googly. "What's your opinion then of cyclists who ride 2, 3, 4 abreast and hold traffic up?' All the years spent wasting time on here weren't for no reason. Straight back at him, I confidently point out that it's just tough. "It's no different from coming up behind a tractor, or a couple of girls riding their horses. They've got just as much right to be on the road as you have, you have to put up with a small delay until it's safe. The Highway Code is quite clear that riding two abreast is perfectly ok". And in chirps another - "that's not strictly true though is, that you have as much right to the roads as we do?" Already it's there - us & them, rights, cyclists holding everybody up etc. "Why so?" I ask, knowing exactly what's coming next. And it does..."Well we pay road tax, you don't." So I launch into the general funding hypothecation road tax doesn't exist most of us own cars anyway I pay stacks of PAYE NICs VAT Fuel duty VAT alcohol duty etc, and for the finale suggest that when they get home they all have a look at IPayRoadTx.com where it's all written down for them. Trouble is I'm getting a bit excited now (all good fun, bit of banter & joshing etc) , and I get severely harangued at this point as I'm prodding one these chaps in the chest with my Linesman's flag. "Bloody cyclists, being aggressive look."

Luckily the game is about to start so I trot off to run the far touchline, which was a shame as it was the perfect opportunity to expand on this whole business, perhaps ask them exactly what rights road tax might give them when they are stuck behind a cyclist for a few seconds, and do they apply this same logic to making use f other nationally shared resources such as fire, ambulances, police, NHS, army etc? Have you paid no well I get first dibs then. Maybe next week.
  • A wonderfully zen ride in this morning.

It started even before I got off my drive - a milk van (van not float) let me out in front of him (my drive is opposite a t-junction), so I sped off down the hill; surprising the guy in the Focus in front of me... not to mention the BMW and VW who were waiting to pull out further down.

Then it was just the most relaxing ride in - I have no idea why, it was just easy to turn the cranks, and my endomondo track makes it look like I have cruise control on the bike.

All finished off by an attempted numpty overtake on a small roundabout when the idiot under-estimated my speed and had to lock up to avoid the traffic island.

He looked VERY sheepish when he finally came past.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • redvee
    I blame Wiggle :lol:
    Ordered one pair of lights from them so they sent me two pairs as well as the obligatory 10p bag of haribo. Will see what happens to the second pair when their twitter handle picks up the tweet.
  • asprilla
    redvee wrote:
    Ordered one pair of lights from them so they sent me two pairs as well as the obligatory 10p bag of haribo. Will see what happens to the second pair when their twitter handle picks up the tweet.

I blame them as well; Mrs ordered a turbo yesterday for my Xmas present. It arrived at her office this morning, before 11.

Impressive. Most impressive.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Yippee - I am now an accredited track cyclist. :D

And utterly, utterly gubbed.

The fourth & final session on Saturday was an all-male testosterone-fuelled mentalfest. Two guys were top-notch amateurs wanting to get "official" status for the velodrome, so were straight in at level 4, there were a couple of seasoned blokes with their own track bikes, and a smattering of very good roadies. The pace was brutal, and it was racing for the whole two hours, almost non-stop. 20 lap warmup at race pace, 20 lap scratch race, 2 x 15 lap intermediate sprint races, a 20 lap keirin behind the derny at an insane speed, and to finish it all off, another 20 lap scratch race. Legs had gone by then and got spat out the back more often than a dodgy vindaloo. I've ridden 100-milers and been less knackered.

Welcome to track cycling..... fantastic. N+1 beckons. :twisted:
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • redvee
    redvee wrote:

Result :D I get to keep the second pair of lights.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    What are they?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • I record all my rides on Endomondo and it automatically uploads these to Facebook. The last few weeks all I have done is the ride to and from work, with no extra rides out anywhere; and my great-uncle has just posted on my last ride:
    "CHANGE YOUR BIKE IT WONT GO OVER 13 MILES"

:lol:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Last weekend was my wife's Birthday, she managed via work contacts to get some tickets to Wales vs Australia.

Not only that but one of the hospitality suits, it's fair to say she had a good time!
  • redvee
    bails87 wrote:
    What are they?

Micro Fibreflares, now have the rears mounted on the pannier rack and the fronts on the front of the forks.

micro-flare-duo-combo-med.jpg?w=350&h=350&a=7
  • CiB
    25 years since I moved away from where I grew up, and even though I go back quite often it's generally taken up with the business of riding there (2 & 1/2 hours) and seeing family, friends etc. Had an all day pass out today to go up there and amongst other things popped into the LBS where in the late 70s I used to ogle through the window at bike bits wondering how on earth anyone could buy a rear mech for £25, and where I bought my first brand new proper road bike in 1984. And the same bloke still runs it. He's 80 now, remembered me (granted after a bit of a nudge) but mainly because he knew and knows my dad. 40 minutes later I emerged with a pair of wheels that I didn't know I wanted until I'd been there a while, a Christmas pressie for the wife, and a deep sense of satisfaction that his little shop still smells the same as it did 35 years ago, he still looks about the same, and that his shop is still there, thriving.

Use your LBS.
  • asprilla
    New Year, new job.

Msmancunia; I need the low down on Salford Quays......
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • mudcow007
    Asprilla wrote:
    I need the low down on Salford Quays......

canal street is a lovely place to go for a pint....
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Speaking from experience mudcow?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • asprilla
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Pint of what?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • Asprilla wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Pint of what?

Well - put it this way: you'll always be sure of a good head
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Asprilla wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Pint of what?

Well - put it this way: you'll always be sure of a good head

Debatable, stale pints are never good.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • mudcow007
    rubertoe wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

Speaking from experience mudcow?

well you know, when in rome.....