Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Hurrah. Elder boy is poorly today (bear with me) so OH can see the other one off to school at the allotted time which means I get to ride to work today, making up for yesterday's outburst of apathy & idleness that saw the car get an outing instead of the bike.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I have some incredible news....

Speaking to a cousin yesterday, don't see him often because he lives down South (somewhere between oo ar South and shut it you slaaag Saarf) and we get onto cycling because he's seen endomondo/strava stuff on my facebook.

He tells me how he's currently going out on an old mountain bike but wants to get a road bike because it looks quicker.

"Let me know when you plan on buying something and I'll let you know if there are any deals about" I say.

He replies "Thanks, I will. Actually, I was talking to one of my friends the other day who works in a bike shop. He said he might be able to get me a discount on something.....it was er....have you heard of ...erm...Wiggle, is that it?"

Me: "Oh yeah, I know Wiggle very well" :wink:

Him: "Ah cool. Well I say he 'works there', he's actually one of the owners"

Me: tumblr_m9wlbcohhO1qi21hi.gif
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    bails87 wrote:
    I have some incredible news....

Speaking to a cousin yesterday, don't see him often because he lives down South (somewhere between oo ar South and shut it you slaaag Saarf) and we get onto cycling because he's seen endomondo/strava stuff on my facebook.

He tells me how he's currently going out on an old mountain bike but wants to get a road bike because it looks quicker.

"Let me know when you plan on buying something and I'll let you know if there are any deals about" I say.

He replies "Thanks, I will. Actually, I was talking to one of my friends the other day who works in a bike shop. He said he might be able to get me a discount on something.....it was er....have you heard of ...erm...Wiggle, is that it?"

Me: "Oh yeah, I know Wiggle very well" :wink:

Him: "Ah cool. Well I say he 'works there', he's actually one of the owners"

Me: tumblr_m9wlbcohhO1qi21hi.gif

bails' friend count suddenly quadrupled :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    [quote="bails87"

Me: tumblr_m9wlbcohhO1qi21hi.gif[/quote]

Mr Balls, have you lost weight...your looking good

Wiggle you say...discounts

hello!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • bails87
    mudcow007 wrote:

hello!
    It's bails, not balls! No discounts for you!
    :lol:
    And if I lost any weight I'd look ill!
    MTB/CX

• Anti rant
    creaking and grinding noise from the pedals, been getting worse recently. Took the cranks off, cleaned and refitted (tightly, as I suspect they were a bit loose) - creaking and grinding noise has gone.

Rant
    noise from chain and chainwheel is now more obvious, really should clean that one day.
  • mudcow007
    bails87 wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

hello!
    It's bails, not balls! No discounts for you!
    :lol:
    And if I lost any weight I'd look ill!

ahhhh i got excited when i seen the fresh prince

i sorry Mr ball/ bails
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
  • had a lovely quick 30 miler yesterday the weather was nice and for saying i didnt start till gone 11:00 the traffic behaved itself as well.
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Day one in work and a large locker, 2'6" high, sorted out within 4 hours cause I'm a cyclist. Only cyclists and motorcyclists get the big lockers. It's right by the showers too which I'm not too sure if this is good or bad yet.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • tc345
    tc345 Posts: 98
    I got hit by a deer this morning.

Not your usual anti-rant subject matter but it brightened up the commute no end. A muntjac came sprinting out of the undergrowth from the left, hit the bike behind the front wheel while doing an about turn and then scrabbled away.

There was a lot of wobbling but i stayed upright! I stopped and checked the bike; all fine apart from a load of fur in the front chainring, checked myself; all fine, laughed at the absurdity and carried on my way.

This was after seeing herd of 30ish red deer earlier in the commute, some of whom sprinted across the road well ahead of me and ran through the fields as a cycled past. All in all a varied commute!
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Anyone else's boss give them a random present of 3/4 lb of raw pork cheeks for completing a satisfactory appraisal? :lol: Just me then. Think I will be having braised pork cheeks for tea tonight.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    msmancunia wrote:
    Anyone else's boss give them a random present of 3/4 lb of raw pork cheeks for completing a satisfactory appraisal? :lol: Just me then. Think I will be having braised pork cheeks for tea tonight.
    No.

But I am my own boss though and I gave myself an extra pot of coffee this morning and a bar of chocolate for thinking about doing a satisfactory job today and finishing something long overdue...
  • veronese68
    The landlord of the pub 6 doors down the road has just sent me a text with details of the upcoming beer festival. 53 different ales. Starts this weekend and finishes after halloween. Oh dear, could get messy.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Veronese68 wrote:
    The landlord of the pub 6 doors down the road has just sent me a text with details of the upcoming beer festival. 53 different ales. Starts this weekend and finishes after halloween. Oh dear, could get messy.

Your local landlord has your phone number?

Have you considered standing up in front of a group of people and starting the conversation with "Hello my name is Veronese...." :wink:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • veronese68
    Veronese68 wrote:

Your local landlord has your phone number?

Have you considered standing up in front of a group of people and starting the conversation with "Hello my name is Veronese...." :wink:
    He does because his son used to go to scouts with my son so we'd lift share when dropping them off places. I only really go in there if I'm out with the neighbours, there's a better pub about 300 yards further on.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Complimented tonight on my "brightest lights I've ever SEEN on a bike"

This comment about my Vision 1 and Vision 2. The pair of old guys making the comments were stunned when I popped them up to full brightness. I'd only had them on the lowest setting.

Oh, and a Van driver who very politely apologised for reversing without checking. He didn't actually need to apologise as he'd started the manoeuvre when I'm came swinging 'round the bend (I did explain!)

Great ride home tonight - even had EVERY dog walker control their pets and say thanks as I came past....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Had one of my famous "goodnight darling, I'll be up in twenty minutes", get engineeringly sidetracked, make it to bed just before 3am attacks last night. Not aided by the fact that there is about 50L of wine maturing in the workshop in two vats (have to test it for taste and clarity every ten minutes or so when I'm working).

Crawled out of the sack this morning and had to lever my eyelids open with a swiss army knife.

Fabulous ride in though! Legs felt like i'd had a couple of Kangaroos implanted for thighs. In the office now fresh as the proverbial daisy :-)
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    SimonAH wrote:
    [...]and had to lever my eyelids open with a swiss army knife.[...]

No fish tweezers for the contact lenses, I trust?

Ordering a new laptop via Education store - 15% discount and free 3 year warranty makes spending bike-like sums a little easier.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    No mention anywhere here of VP being on Radio 2 this morning? She's on, and as guests go she's half decent. In honour of her I set a new PB for October this morning by pretending to be wheel sucking her all the way in.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    A good cycling week. I am happy.
  • Riding home last night, I am filtering past a long line of slow moving traffic and approaching a traffic island. Young bloke in a small car spots me in the mirror (Exposure Maxx-D) and pulls left to give me loads of room through the gap.
  • tc345
    tc345 Posts: 98
    Back on the bike today as the P7 is now working, such a relief after an angry drive home behind some driving nodders! A bit of fettling and drying and it was back to its usual self although i think that i will invest in some DeOxit as recommended to ward against future trouble, and maybe invest in a backup light after payday :-)
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Home last night and back out on the bike by 7.40. An hour on the machine sorted me right out.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • mudcow007
    fantastic ride home last night

i was that hot when i stopped i had steam coming off my head an shoulders!
  • Yeah baby, started breaking into the top 10 on some segments on my daily commute.
    2012 Cannondale Synapse
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Wednesday morning must be an easy day for lorry drivers. Every one of them that passed me this morning took their time and waited behind me until the road was clear enough for them to get over completely into the other lane. Usually they just barge past.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Got pulled over by the police in Lewisham :shock:

They were doing free bike tagging, so got mine done. Woo, nice one :D
  • Stopped in Bushy Park, and my wife and I watched the Bats wiz about.
  • bails87
    Gave the bike a wash....IMAG0198.jpg
    :D
    MTB/CX