Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,091
    CiB wrote:
    So many things to smile about.

Circumstances allow me to do 4 days on the bike this week. Hurrah.

Yesterday was a good day. It just was. :)

Hit the bottom of the Finmere bypass out of Buckingham this morning and was passed [properly, safely] by what turned out to be a compact version of those enormous yellow cranes that trundle around at a steady pace. The Finmere bypass is a mile & a quarter steady climb to my turn-off at the airfield; on a good day I can hold 18-19mph up it most of the way, on a bad day it's closer to 11 / 12. I tucked in behind Bob The Builder a foot or so off this vast flat square backend and then watched the speed climb through 21, 24, 27 then level out at 31 for most of the climb. Pity I misjudged where we were and sat up too soon; managed to hold it at about 24 for the last 200 yards to the slot-left. That was fun.

You were a foot off his bumper at 30mph? :shock:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Nice 30 mile loop yesterday. Good practice riding into a wall of wind for my trip to Cornwall next month.

Got home to find a very favourable email from my accountant about the final accounts of my old business. Happy days.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    rjsterry wrote:
    You were a foot off his bumper at 30mph? :shock:
    Yup. Well, 31 to be precise. It's a clearway, no turn-offs until where I turn off, dual c/way so no oncoming, and I'm paying fullest attention to the engine note. What can possibly go wrong?
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Finally got the email I've been waiting for since monday afternoon confirming the job offer and start date.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • ^ Nice!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    redvee wrote:
    Finally got the email I've been waiting for since monday afternoon confirming the job offer and start date.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Congrats Redvee.

I got wet yesterday but don't think there was a single stupid driver :shock: Today there was one but it was avoided easily enough, and it was nice and sunny :)
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Tuesday I get that sore throat that is a sure sign a cold is developing. And yes I wake up on Wednesday with a cold, pounding headache, congestion and general feel like crap. Today I wake up feeling like I'm getting over the cold.

My immune system rocks.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    Sat at home waiting for the "engineer" from Virgin Meeja and a group of kids just cycled by doing their Bikeability. Just made me smile.

Seeing Veronese put engineer in inverted commas has made me happy :D
    Canyon Roadlite
    Boardman Hybrid
    Dolan FXE
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Just exchanged contracts on house sale / purchase!

Get-frickin-in.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    To counter the rant,

What a glorious morning for a bike ride into Landan Town. Feels like its been months since it didnt rain.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Asprilla wrote:

Get-frickin-in.
    Excellent. Time to start stocking the cave soon. Are you having a cave warming party?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Asprilla wrote:

Get-frickin-in.
    And in return, It gives me quite some pleasure to be able to say 'that's the mortgage done then'. Except for a pokey bit of an endowment that needs to run its course for a while longer.

I wonder if anyone could point me to an on-line bicycle components retailer who I could perhaps blame when this increase in disposable income fails to translate into a new bathroom & kitchen over the next few months due to the need to replace ageing cycle parts?

:)

<Sits back, puts Radio 4 on plans to spend rest of day with feet on the desk and hands clasped behind the head with a satisfied smile across the old fizzog...>
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Excellent news CiB. Looking forward to that day myself, even if it is at least 15 years away....
    FCN 3 / 4
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    CiB wrote:
    And in return, It gives me quite some pleasure to be able to say 'that's the mortgage done then'. Except for a pokey bit of an endowment that needs to run its course for a while longer.

Nice. I believe I've got 28 years left until that day...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Just got my re-mortgage confirmed

Managed to knock 6 years of the term!

Whoop!
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,645
    Job offer on the table.

Likely another one will join it tomorrow.

Just in time before I go off on holiday.

My gardening leave isn't even finished yet! Get in!
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Don't you just love it when you start to knock big chunks of time off a new commute as you tweak the route/ learn the racing line/become unphased by the lumps and hit them in a higher gear cos you know how long you have to sustain it....
  • redvee
    Had to ditch the 32" monitor I was using last week, now back to a proper 17" PC monitor. Using the TV when sat on the sofa was a PITA.
  • Mr Sworld
    Mr Sworld Posts: 703
    23" IPS monitors are super cheap now. Get one...

The 40" TV only runs XBMC via the server/HTPC stuff.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Got 3 or 4 whiffs of chocolate on the way to work. Not sure where it came from but it smelt good. :lol:

Did make me hungry though.
  • nich wrote:
    Got 3 or 4 whiffs of chocolate on the way to work. Not sure where it came from but it smelt good. :lol:

Did make me hungry though.

Are you commuting through belgium by any chance?

This reminds me of a route i used to take home- where connaught st crosses edgeware road in london,at those lights there must have been a turkish restaurant or soemthing as it always smelled like amazing kofte kebabs and always made me really hungry. I'm a vegetarian too- it really smelled that good it almost turned me back to the dark side.
  • redvee
    Mr Sworld wrote:
    23" IPS monitors are super cheap now. Get one...

The 40" TV only runs XBMC via the server/HTPC stuff.

Alas the budget won't stretch that far. Happy with the £20 monitor till the money starts rolling in.
  • redvee
    Another one from me today. Walking through central Bristol and a bus deposits its load at the bus stop, as the bus pulls away one of the passengers is partially sighted(?), white stick with white ball on the end, and wanting to cross the road. As I can see the road is clear of traffic I let her know it's safe to cross and even prepare to step into the road to slow approaching traffic down, she thanks me and we both go about our business.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    sent an email to Sealskinz about my gloves leaking

3 days later i have a new pair, without even sending my original receipt back

damn decent

thanks SealSkinz
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Popped into Harry Hall Bikes in Manchester at lunchtime, as I needed to get an adaptor for my track pump to fit presta valves (my track pump is Schraeder, as it works on the Brompton, and I lost the adaptor). Chap has a furtle around, finds one and says I can have it, no charge.

Not only am I a happy chappy, I am now determined that my next purchases of the shiny bikey kind will be from Harry Hall - good customer service works wonders!
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    To offset the horrible cold i have developed (that'll teach me to get the train last week, bloody germ factories) it looks like there is a rare tailwind home tonight!

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602
    Koncordski wrote:
    To offset the horrible cold i have developed (that'll teach me to get the train last week, bloody germ factories) it looks like there is a rare tailwind home tonight!

Yes very happy about this!
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    pangolin wrote:
    Koncordski wrote:

Yes very happy about this!

We have no wind at all, which as I cycle SW to get home is effectively a tailwind!

(oh and I may have some stunning footage from this mornings ride in)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    A peaceful, dry, fast, no-issue ride in this morning. Perfect! :)