Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    MrSweary wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    MrSweary wrote:
    I don't know why, if people don't like something, it's a problem to them?

Indeed. And this goes for so many things in life.

On a separate note - We're taking our daughter on plane for the first time in her life on Sunday and I think I'm almost as excited as her (nearly three). Actually I think she's most excited about seeing her uncle whose bottom, it seems, emits pure and unblemished sunlight.

Luckily it isn't a long flight which should limit the discomfort for all involved. :D

Excellent - we took our son on his first flight back in spring - he wasn't quite 1 so no comprehension - the cabin crew and pilots were fab though (Easyjet).

Too late for you now .. but we got this: http://mdlcbooks.co.uk/Junior%20Flight%20Log.html and the captains filled it in for him. :)

Well, she has some very trippy ideas about how planes work so I'm looking forward to her toddler musings. Also being asked "Wassat Daddy?" every ten seconds. And "Daddy, wot we doin?" every other ten.

Toddlers are lovely, if wearing. Mine is now 6, and the questions still haven't stopped, and she's less easy to fob off. Strangely enough, she also thinks the sun shines out of her uncle's backside! Enjoy the flight.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    hopkinb wrote:
    MrSweary wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    MrSweary wrote:
    I don't know why, if people don't like something, it's a problem to them?

Indeed. And this goes for so many things in life.

On a separate note - We're taking our daughter on plane for the first time in her life on Sunday and I think I'm almost as excited as her (nearly three). Actually I think she's most excited about seeing her uncle whose bottom, it seems, emits pure and unblemished sunlight.

Luckily it isn't a long flight which should limit the discomfort for all involved. :D

Excellent - we took our son on his first flight back in spring - he wasn't quite 1 so no comprehension - the cabin crew and pilots were fab though (Easyjet).

Too late for you now .. but we got this: http://mdlcbooks.co.uk/Junior%20Flight%20Log.html and the captains filled it in for him. :)

Well, she has some very trippy ideas about how planes work so I'm looking forward to her toddler musings. Also being asked "Wassat Daddy?" every ten seconds. And "Daddy, wot we doin?" every other ten.

Toddlers are lovely, if wearing. Mine is now 6, and the questions still haven't stopped, and she's less easy to fob off. Strangely enough, she also thinks the sun shines out of her uncle's backside! Enjoy the flight.
    Mine were 9&7 when taking their forst flight this year. I had great pleasure in explaining all the noises to my eldest who loves to know how stuff works. My youngest gets bored of daddy (along with Mrs Tash) and looks out the window :)
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,700
    It's Friday and I'm meeting the Mrs in the pub for a sneaky drink on the way home. :-)
    Regarding ordering coffee as coffee I'll only do that in Italy or in an Italian place here and for that I get an espresso. I enjoy being overly Italian about coffee and the acceptable forms are cappuccino for breakfast, espresso or macchiato during the day and a corretto if necessary. American coffee flavoured drinks are infiltrating Italy unfortunately.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Veronese68 wrote:
    It's Friday and I'm meeting the Mrs in the pub for a sneaky drink on the way home. :-)
    Regarding ordering coffee as coffee I'll only do that in Italy or in an Italian place here and for that I get an espresso. I enjoy being overly Italian about coffee and the acceptable forms are cappuccino for breakfast, espresso or macchiato during the day and a corretto if necessary. American coffee flavoured drinks are infiltrating Italy unfortunately.

Never heard of a corretto before, but having googled it, looks awesome.

If i get to a proper coffee house, my normal is a double ristretto, I know it's overkill as typically less caffeine in it then a single espresso, but significantly prefer the taste.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    it's home time ...
  • hopkinb wrote:

Apologies if any mortal offence caused by a slightly tongue in cheek denigration of your choice of beverage, or by sullying the anti-rants thread.

More on-topic, lovely traffic-free spin in this morning. It's Friday as well. Smashing. :D

It's not my choice of beverage. I've just discovered Assam tea. Which is very much on topic.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    ooh, I'm glad I kicked off this coffee-morning talk especially as I have avoided all forms of caffeine since 2008.

However I had three coffees and two cans of full fat coke on Saturday to help me round the island and come the evening I was shaking like a dog shitting razor blades.
    FCN = 4
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Rode home in short sleeves again at 22:00 but didn't need the gillet or arm warmers either, just a mesh base layer though I did have to unzip the jersey a little lower than usual for October.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Lovely day for a ride.... mostly. Quite warm, only a slight bit of drizzle to start with..

Oh, and first 50 mile ride for probably more than 2 years! And I can still move. I can feel it in my legs and back, but I'm not on the floor crawling
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Horrendous traffic coming in today. The skip truck that impatiently and pointlessly cut me up must have had a lovely long wait.

I could already see as I re passed him that I had plenty of time to give him the finger, so I did.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    redvee wrote:
    Rode home in short sleeves again at 22:00 but didn't need the gillet or arm warmers either, just a mesh base layer though I did have to unzip the jersey a little lower than usual for October.

2C here right now, you still in shorts and t-shirt?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • redvee
    itboffin wrote:
    redvee wrote:

2C here right now, you still in shorts and t-shirt?

Sort of, with the addition of gillet and arm warmers tonight, no other clothing to wear but it wasn't too bad but did make me think the days of needing knee warmers are approaching.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    The fact that my cars brakes worked properly last night and there was nothing heading the opposite direction at teh time as a young lad (12ish) ran from behind a bus drectly infront of me. I had to swerve and slam on, just clipping the sole of his trailing leg. Brown trousers all round but nobody hurt thankfully
  • redvee
    Glad I had my old skool cool tool with me tonight as I broke my chain as I left work, a pin pulled out of one of the plates. I heard it go as soon as I started pedalling and the chain broke 2 seconds later.

show_image.php?id=920

I don't have the allen keys but do have the socket but don't carry it.
  • redvee
    Managed to avoid having my PlanetX order entrusted to Yodel by buying one less innertube, buying 9 took the order over £30 which is when the Yodel/DHL delivery option kicks in, 8 tubes keeps it under £30 and in the hands of Royal Mail.
  • wolfsbane2k
    Just found the joy of wearing a beanie in the cold days.
    Much more civilised!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Loving my winter gear now - that gore windstopper stuff is perfect :)

Combined with a buff over the head (I'm bald), and some cheap DHB toe warmers, I had a lovely ride in :)
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    While one poll has gone horribly, terribly wrong in the past day, there's a small crumb of comfort for rationality elsewhere: of the 15,000 responses to the Tavistock & Torrington Places road layout consultation, the overwhelmingly majority - 78% - were in favour of the making the changes permanent.

The fearsome LTDA managed to get 217 signatures to their petition :D
  • BobMcbob
    BobMcbob Posts: 104
    Quiet roads, lovely winter sunshine, and Friday. Such a shame I have to go into the office
  • wolfsbane2k
    Pre-planned a year ago with a spare pair of underwear and socks just in case I forgot them.
    Needed them today!

Also found my waterproof cycling trousers now fit me again, so used them today due to threat of a downpour.
    unfortunately, they are as boil in the bag as I remember them being :(
  • redvee
    Missed the worst of the rain on the way into work and the return journey was dry and too warm. I had to stop and put my Scott gillet in the pannier bag.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    bought new v-brakes on a whim as they were (1) cheap enough to justify (2) the colour change to black.

When they turned up I thought, Oh crap these are heavy, I am trying to keep the weight down on this one .... as it turns out they are 10g lighter than the ones already on the bike .. YES !!!!! .... 10g saved :D
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Road sweepers must have been out yesterday as most of my route had been cleared of leaves this morning.
  • wolfsbane2k
    edited November 2016
    The benefits of training by commuting have paid off, and I didn't realise how much until I got home.
    Started commuting about 16 months ago and a mtb 3x9 was seriously hard work, rarely got out of the bottom ring, and never touched the top ring.
    Today, swapped back to the mtb after a year on a roadie, and I didn't leave the top ring once.
    Yet the route I take now has more climbs, including a piece steeper than the old hill I'd die on, and 2 miles longer than my old route to avoid crap drivers.
    Wow.
  • BobMcbob
    BobMcbob Posts: 104
    Those sealskinz oversocks actually work! Yes they are now filthy and probably will only last a few months of commuting, but they kept my feet completely dry for 60 mins in last nights deluge. Really didn't expect much!
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Gatorskin hardshell tyres - In my mind, they should have been more uncomfortable, slower and less grip than my ex-Vitorias

oh the joy of switching to a winter tyre and discovering in all respects its better than what I was using before ... I guess that's the difference between a £10 tyre and a £30-£50 tyre

And the best bit, I cant compare them to the 4000's I use on my road bike as these are a different tyre, on a different bike, with a different size used in different conditions
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    Catastrophic Bottom Bracket Failure! - Riding into town last night, and all of a sudden crack, and the pedals/chainring are wobbling all over. Fortunately was just arriving at stationary traffic. :shock: :(

Managed to get to the top of a hill in town (had to walk), and then freewheel down to LBS, which was still open. They swapped out bottom bracket (which had done 7k+ miles) for me in about half an hour and good as new, was able to cycle home. Did miss my appointment that I'd been cycling in for, but fortunately still had bike working, which means my 2½ year record for never missing a day's commute is still intact! :mrgreen:
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava
  • wolfsbane2k
    A27 complete standstill this morning, so loads of people detouring around it.
    Cue my normal single track rural route being very, very busy ( from 1 car seen to approx. 40).
    One decided that he didn't like being held up, so kept tail gating, reving and honking until I moved over, which I did at a suitable passing place, resulting in loads of swearing and "get out of my way".
    A mile further on, who do I see sat in a flooded car in a ford?
    Of course, the driver asked for help, to which I not to so politely offered them none what so ever.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    A27 complete standstill this morning, so loads of people detouring around it.
    Cue my normal single track rural route being very, very busy ( from 1 car seen to approx. 40).
    One decided that he didn't like being held up, so kept tail gating, reving and honking until I moved over, which I did at a suitable passing place, resulting in loads of swearing and "get out of my way".
    Of course, the driver asked for help, to which I not to so politely offered them none what so ever.

:lol::lol::lol:
  • A27 complete standstill this morning, so loads of people detouring around it.
    That's properly cheered me up :D