Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    I rode the IOW Giro on Saturday. Just three of us but we were blessed with a mild, dry, sunny day and a tailwind for probably 75% of the route

https://www.strava.com/activities/752810038

A big day out but well worth it.

The bacon roll and flat white when we arrived at Portsmouth harbour in the morning were pure heaven.
    Good job, btw what is a flat white? Is that what used to be called a milky coffee?
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    Tashman wrote:
    Good job, btw what is a flat white? Is that what used to be called a milky coffee?

Well, having recently read The Undercover Economist (a great read by the way, highly recommended) it's basically where I self-select that I am willing to pay extra/a premium for what is essentially a few coffee beans and some frothy milk
    FCN = 4
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Tashman wrote:
    what is a flat white? Is that what used to be called a milky coffee?

A Latte (short for Café Latte) is a milky coffee just with an Italian name ... but Starbucks ruined the drink by turnining it into a bucket of hot milk with a shot of coffee in.

a flat white is what a Latte should be before Starbucks ruined the latte .. but it doesn't have a swanky Italian name as the Austailians re-invented it back in the 80s

give it 10 years and a flat white will be served in Starbucks as a bucket of milk with a shot of coffee in it ... the Latte will actually be a desert by then and only consumable with a spoon

a milky coffee will have a completely different name ... again
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Interesting - you took the fastcat to Ryde pier ... not done that one before - only the fishbourne or yarmouth ferries ...
  • slowbike
    Oh - looking at your route down - on the A285 (one of the most dangerous roads in the UK btw) - you could've cut through to Singleton and the A286 - then come down to Lavant and use the backroads through West Stoke, Funtingdon, Westbourne to rejoin your route in Emsworth ... and you could've taken a better route through Havant ;)
  • mtb-idle
    thanks for the route tips slowbike.

I always find that there's a compromise between planning and doing and I'm more on the doing side. Strange really having spent many years as a project manager but perhaps you could describe the route as 'Agile'.

The route was ripped off one of these route sharing sites. We could have spent hours poring over the best routes but frankly I CBA to do that, I would rather tick the ride off and move onto the next thing.

Another one of my buddies who threatened to join us is more into the route planning but he decided not to when i told him that was the route and we weren't changing it.

We also thought that depending on progress we may have needed to push hard for the final section to make the crossing in time and an A-road is ideal for that rather than picking your way through villages trying to follow a route.

The fast cat from Ryde Pier is superb. £9-20 as a foot passenger, bikes go free. Crossing is advertised as 22 minutes but I think we did it in about fifteen.
    FCN = 4
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I heart half term traffic.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • mtb-idle
    DrLex wrote:
    Nice one! Do you have a .gpx of the island section, or is it a standard route?

(Has coffee culture reached the stage where what was once normal now needs to be specified, thanks to progress and choice? See telephone and guitar for examples.)

Sorry, missed this one. Should be able to download .gpx or other formats from here

https://www.plotaroute.com/route/299074

It also appears to be an official way marked route with plenty of signage in evidence
    FCN = 4
  • slowbike
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    thanks for the route tips slowbike.
    NP - if you do similar route in future I'd recommend going round the north of Chichester - it's just better .. Nav isn't tricky - if anything it's easier than finding the route through the middle as you stay out of town.
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    I always find that there's a compromise between planning and doing and I'm more on the doing side. Strange really having spent many years as a project manager but perhaps you could describe the route as 'Agile'.

The route was ripped off one of these route sharing sites. We could have spent hours poring over the best routes but frankly I CBA to do that, I would rather tick the ride off and move onto the next thing.

Another one of my buddies who threatened to join us is more into the route planning but he decided not to when i told him that was the route and we weren't changing it.

We also thought that depending on progress we may have needed to push hard for the final section to make the crossing in time and an A-road is ideal for that rather than picking your way through villages trying to follow a route.
    Fair enough, sometimes it's just easier to go what seems to be the "main route" - but you'd've saved time and miles going the north - time because there's not much in the way of junctions and you can push on fairly easily
    MTB-Idle wrote:
    The fast cat from Ryde Pier is superb. £9-20 as a foot passenger, bikes go free. Crossing is advertised as 22 minutes but I think we did it in about fifteen.
    I know it's quick - spent a good few years sailing the solent - not bad price and far quicker than the car ferry ... :)
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    oooh, my knee hurts less today .... and without the commute or Zwift, might be better by tomorrow
  • mtb-idle
    Here's a short vid of the IOW Giro.

Not up to my usual standard because I am having hellish problems with GoPro Studio which keeps on freezing/losing files etc but you get the general idea of how the day went

Mozart's House

Hope you like it

EDIT: Having just re-watched it I now realise why I was climbing so much better than the other two all day.

And no, I have no idea why he insisted on wearing that ridiculous shower hat most of the day.
    FCN = 4
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    MTB-Idle wrote:

Not up to my usual standard because I am having hellish problems with GoPro Studio which keeps on freezing/losing files etc but you get the general idea of how the day went

It also added a terrible soundtrack, stopped the video after a few seconds of it. Might watch later muted.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • mtb-idle
    redvee wrote:
    MTB-Idle wrote:

It also added a terrible soundtrack, stopped the video after a few seconds of it. Might watch later muted.

Terrible??!!

Clean Bandit are ace, grandad.
    FCN = 4
  • slowbike
    saw a flashing red light up ahead on my ride home last night - most unusual, especially at this time of year.
    Anyway - put a bit of effort in - not too much, but just to see if I could make the catch before the next village. Nope - he held his lead, although the distance was much reduced. On exiting the village there's a climb - nothing huge or impossible, but a reasonable hill to get up - I was in two minds as to whether I'd catch the guy or not as I've been feeling pretty knackered for the last 2 months - but I put the effort in - the guy pulled out a bit more distance on me and by the time I'd got to the top he was nowhere in sight.
    Decided that if I didn't see him around the next corner then it was probable that he'd pulled off somewhere - nope, there he was - by now I'd decided I'd catch him, so down into the road bike TT position and put out the power ... just got to a short downhill and made the catch, checked out his bike, yup - as I thought - electric bike!! I don't think he was expecting to see me - but I said a cheery hello as I went past - had to keep the power on for a bit just to ensure he didn't catch me up though! :)
    Not my fastest overall commute, but a reasonable time - boosted by the interval session in the middle - that'll do! :D
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    DrLex wrote:
    Nice one! Do you have a .gpx of the island section, or is it a standard route?
    The IoW has a well signed route round the island. Also look here for gpx files: http://www.cycleisland.co.uk/index.php/ ... e-overview
    My wife and I did this a few weeks back - ferry from Lymington to Yarmouth, circuit round the island - lovely day out.
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • tc345
    tc345 Posts: 98
    Tailwiiiind! After a few weeks the wind has switched and the commute home yesterday was wonderful.
  • slowbike
    Go the extra mile ..

I did this morning ... I haven't been of late, because I've been leaving it late to leave home ... it was nice getting off the main road and coming around the lanes again. Wasn't even muddy (usually is at this time of year) .
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    fat daddy wrote:
    Tashman wrote:

A Latte (short for Café Latte) is a milky coffee just with an Italian name ... but Starbucks ruined the drink by turnining it into a bucket of hot milk with a shot of coffee in.

a flat white is what a Latte should be before Starbucks ruined the latte .. but it doesn't have a swanky Italian name as the Austailians re-invented it back in the 80s

give it 10 years and a flat white will be served in Starbucks as a bucket of milk with a shot of coffee in it ... the Latte will actually be a desert by then and only consumable with a spoon

Someone explain to me the difference between:
    - A latte
    - A Flat White
    - A Capuccino

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    SecretSam wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:
    Tashman wrote:

- A latte
    - A Flat White
    - A Capuccino

They are all abominations, but I am told that

A latte is coffee with a lot of hot milk in it.

A flat white is coffee with slightly less milk in it, and that milk is slightly frothy

A cappuccino is coffee with a lot of very frothy hot milk in it

I don't know why, if people don't like coffee, they don't just wash down a pro-plus with some warm milk.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    hopkinb wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:
    Tashman wrote:

- A latte
    - A Flat White
    - A Capuccino

A flat white is coffee with slightly less milk in it, and that milk is slightly frothy

I don't know why, if people don't like coffee, they don't just wash down a pro-plus with some warm milk.
    I always just ask for a coffee to see the reaction of the "barista" - i just want a cup of coffee, unfortunately there aren't many caffs where you can get a good old school cup of mud these days
  • hopkinb wrote:
    SecretSam wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:
    Tashman wrote:

- A latte
    - A Flat White
    - A Capuccino

This is the anti-rant thread. I don't know why, if people don't like something, it's a problem to them?
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    I don't know why, if people don't like something, it's a problem to them?

Indeed. And this goes for so many things in life.

On a separate note - We're taking our daughter on plane for the first time in her life on Sunday and I think I'm almost as excited as her (nearly three). Actually I think she's most excited about seeing her uncle whose bottom, it seems, emits pure and unblemished sunlight.

Luckily it isn't a long flight which should limit the discomfort for all involved. :D
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • hopkinb
    Not a problem to me, more of a mystery. My views are probably coloured somewhat by someone who sits near me at work who loves to loudly proclaim that they simply cannot function until they have had their coffee. Their coffee is a bucket of warm milk, to which they add 4 or 5 sugars. They barely function even after their drink.

Apologies if any mortal offence caused by a slightly tongue in cheek denigration of your choice of beverage, or by sullying the anti-rants thread.

More on-topic, lovely traffic-free spin in this morning. It's Friday as well. Smashing. :D
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    hopkinb wrote:

Where do you stand on Macchiato (my personal fave)?

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • hopkinb
    SecretSam wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

That's my other half's favourite too. See above - drink what you like!
  • MrSweary
    SecretSam wrote:
    hopkinb wrote:

I was in Costa the other day waiting for my milky dross when a tall and extremely posh young man had to disdainfully explain what a macchiato was to the hapless individual who had the temerity to serve him something that, obviously, fell well short of his expectations . To be fair, I had sympathy for both sides but it was a vaguely amusing scene.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • A macchiato is an espresso with a smattering of foamy milk on top is it not?
    Road - '10 Giant Defy 3.5
    MTB - '05 Scott Yecora
    BMX - '04 Haro Nyquist R24 (don't judge me)
  • slowbike
    MrSweary wrote:

On a separate note - We're taking our daughter on plane for the first time in her life on Sunday and I think I'm almost as excited as her (nearly three). Actually I think she's most excited about seeing her uncle whose bottom, it seems, emits pure and unblemished sunlight.

Luckily it isn't a long flight which should limit the discomfort for all involved. :D

Excellent - we took our son on his first flight back in spring - he wasn't quite 1 so no comprehension - the cabin crew and pilots were fab though (Easyjet).

Too late for you now .. but we got this: http://mdlcbooks.co.uk/Junior%20Flight%20Log.html and the captains filled it in for him. :)
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    hopkinb wrote:
    Not a problem to me, more of a mystery. My views are probably coloured somewhat by someone who sits near me at work who loves to loudly proclaim that they simply cannot function until they have had their coffee. Their coffee is a bucket of warm milk, to which they add 4 or 5 sugars. They barely function even after their drink.

Apologies if any mortal offence caused by a slightly tongue in cheek denigration of your choice of beverage, or by sullying the anti-rants thread.

More on-topic, lovely traffic-free spin in this morning. It's Friday as well. Smashing. :D

I didn't think there was any one else on here that worked in my office?
    Although in all honesty, it's not one coffee bucket that helps me in the morning, it's about 4.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • MrSweary
    Slowbike wrote:
    MrSweary wrote:

Excellent - we took our son on his first flight back in spring - he wasn't quite 1 so no comprehension - the cabin crew and pilots were fab though (Easyjet).

Too late for you now .. but we got this: http://mdlcbooks.co.uk/Junior%20Flight%20Log.html and the captains filled it in for him. :)

Well, she has some very trippy ideas about how planes work so I'm looking forward to her toddler musings. Also being asked "Wassat Daddy?" every ten seconds. And "Daddy, wot we doin?" every other ten.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon