Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    J_MCD wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    No 1 Son's face was excellent when he came through the door - I'd set up a camera recording before I went to get him in from the car - put him down inside the front door and he walked through to see his bike stood there (Megablocks make good bike stands) - smile, pointing finger and said something unintelligable - walked straight over to it (still smiling) grabbed the bars and tried to get his leg over the saddle (swinging it backwards - not forwards - so that's good! :) ) - he fell over .. then got him up and gave him a sit on it - loved it but fell over when I let go ...

We had a scooting session after dinner and he was loving it - so happy with that so far - don't want to push it too much.

btw - we got a Puky - glad we didn't wait till Christmas ... he'll be profitant by then! :)

How old is he, my boy is going to be two in a weeks time and so we gave a Hoy a trial in Evans. Cue lots of screaming.

He's getting a Tiny Tykes car instead which I imagine will blow his mind.
    15 months old ... :) He's used to seeing both his parents get on bikes - plus the number of kids on bikes at the campsite was just mind blowing (for him) - so whilst he might be a bit young still I think he'll enjoy it.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Slowbike wrote:
    J_MCD wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    No 1 Son's face was excellent when he came through the door - I'd set up a camera recording before I went to get him in from the car - put him down inside the front door and he walked through to see his bike stood there (Megablocks make good bike stands) - smile, pointing finger and said something unintelligable - walked straight over to it (still smiling) grabbed the bars and tried to get his leg over the saddle (swinging it backwards - not forwards - so that's good! :) ) - he fell over .. then got him up and gave him a sit on it - loved it but fell over when I let go ...

We had a scooting session after dinner and he was loving it - so happy with that so far - don't want to push it too much.

btw - we got a Puky - glad we didn't wait till Christmas ... he'll be profitant by then! :)

How old is he, my boy is going to be two in a weeks time and so we gave a Hoy a trial in Evans. Cue lots of screaming.

He's getting a Tiny Tykes car instead which I imagine will blow his mind.
    15 months old ... :) He's used to seeing both his parents get on bikes - plus the number of kids on bikes at the campsite was just mind blowing (for him) - so whilst he might be a bit young still I think he'll enjoy it.

I'll be selling Asprilletta The Youngest's Puky on ebay shortly. Barely ridden. Despite us all riding on a regular basis she's completely skipped a balance bike and gone from a scooter to a bike with stabilisers. Unfortunate, but the older one was the same.

Neither of them took to it.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • slowbike
    Asprilla wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

I'll be selling Asprilletta The Youngest's Puky on ebay shortly. Barely ridden. Despite us all riding on a regular basis she's completely skipped a balance bike and gone from a scooter to a bike with stabilisers. Unfortunate, but the older one was the same.

Don't you start casting doubt over my hope that he'll enjoy his bike! He might call it a "Car" - but he calls everything "Car" - apparently he's spent some time this morning just touching the wheels ... I'll give him another ride this evening.

I'm aiming to miss out on the stabalisers completely - seen it with niece and nephew - complete nightmare giving them the confidence not to use them. youngest niece seems to be going the same way - very cautious youngster ... riding to a halt on stabalisers ... not really how I want my son to learn...
  • asprilla
    I didn't want mine to go down that route either but it happened. Weening off was easy; stabilizer bike was a charity shop special that weighed 10kg. Non-stabilizer bike was a Ilsabike Cnoc 16. If she wanted the shiny new bike she had to move off stabilizers.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • slowbike
    hah - good bribe! :)
    I'm going on the basis that he doesn't know about stablisers and he's seen kids on bikes and balance bikes - so will think it's just what you do - watching him cóck* his leg up over the back of the saddle is just excellent - even though the Puky has a low step through frame!

[* apparently you can't say cóck - it changes it to fool ... ]
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Slowbike wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Don't you start casting doubt over my hope that he'll enjoy his bike! He might call it a "Car" - but he calls everything "Car" - apparently he's spent some time this morning just touching the wheels ... I'll give him another ride this evening.

I'm aiming to miss out on the stabalisers completely - seen it with niece and nephew - complete nightmare giving them the confidence not to use them. youngest niece seems to be going the same way - very cautious youngster ... riding to a halt on stabalisers ... not really how I want my son to learn...

I got my daughter an isla bike last summer. I was all militant about stabilisers, and took her off to the park to teach her to ride. She managed to go 10/20 metres on her own, but hated it, and cried a lot, and refused to ride the bike. So that the bike didn't go to waste, I grudgingly bought her some stabilisers, and she has been wobbling/grinding about the place on those. We agreed that when she went into year 1, the stabilisers would come off. So, a couple of weekends ago, we went to the park and took off the stabilisers. I pushed her off, and that was my last bit of involvement - she could start and stop by herself immediately, now I can hardly keep her off the bike. I reckon a lot of it is about the kid feeling comfortable and ready, and some kids are less risk-averse than others.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,700
    hopkinb wrote:
    I reckon a lot of it is about the kid feeling comfortable and ready, and some kids are less risk-averse than others.
    Agree with both of those. The boy heard his cousin, 6 months older, could ride a bike and was riding without stabilisers 5 minutes later. Would have been quicker but it took that long to get them off. The girl took much longer, didn't feel the need and far more risk averse.
  • slowbike
    At 15 months I don't think he's got much concept of danger - just what he likes and what he doesn't like.
    He loved looking at bikes and people/kids on them - and as I said - is used to seeing both parents off on bikes - so bikes are "normal".
    The bike is currently indoors where he can get used to it. He's on and off his bug quite regularly, not so bothered with a trike he's got, but so far is reasonably interested in the balance bike - I'm just hoping to nurture that interest at his pace and avoid the desire for stabalisers.
  • The girlfriend who asked me to buy her a bike is now the fiancée who racked up 80miles in her first month with a new bike
    “Jij bent niet van suiker gemaakt”
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Got latest purchase from Tredz only 20 hours after placing order - and that was without paying for next day delivery. Also got a fiver off for signing up to newsletter
  • asprilla
    My new Weber gas grill is being delivered today; from now on I will only be cooking in the garden, whatever the weather.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • slowbike
    Asprilla wrote:
    My new Weber gas grill is being delivered today; from now on I will only be cooking in the garden, whatever the weather.

About 10 years after putting up a pegoda (ok - a basic timber frame) over the patio - and 6 years after having a deck fitted underneath it - we (my Dad and I) put a clear plastic roof on it. Wife wasn't keen on the idea - but I perservered as we had a newborne child and nowhere to leave the pushchair outside if it was wet.

That was last october - 12 months on - the roof is still there (had to replace 2 panels that were blown off) and I'm starting to put some side panels on (clear tarpauline) which will make it a bit more water tight.
    Little man loves being outside and we'd be lost without this extra room - makes it ideal for gas grills too .. (providing the roof is high enough ;) )
  • asprilla
    Slowbike wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

About 10 years after putting up a pegoda (ok - a basic timber frame) over the patio - and 6 years after having a deck fitted underneath it - we (my Dad and I) put a clear plastic roof on it. Wife wasn't keen on the idea - but I perservered as we had a newborne child and nowhere to leave the pushchair outside if it was wet.

That was last october - 12 months on - the roof is still there (had to replace 2 panels that were blown off) and I'm starting to put some side panels on (clear tarpauline) which will make it a bit more water tight.
    Little man loves being outside and we'd be lost without this extra room - makes it ideal for gas grills too .. (providing the roof is high enough ;) )

Funny you should say that...

I'm busy replacing the perspex roof on the lean-to at the back of the garage that keeps the weather off the kettle bbq and kids plastic that doesn't fit in the shed. I 'accidentally' ordered too much 10mm box polycarbonate, just enough to put a roof on the pergola that covers 1/4 of the patio.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • slowbike
    only 3/4 to go then ... :)

Then get a decent heavyweight tarp - like this - in clear http://www.tarpaulinsdirect.co.uk/monot ... olumn-left

that'll create the walls ... :)

A couple of LED flood lights - then you've got a space to put your turbo in ... :)
  • asprilla
    Turbo already has a home.....

IMG_3542_zps9445448b.jpg
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • slowbike
    I wish I could see as much of my garage as that ... tbf - I've got double the number of bikes in there though ... :D
  • My sciatica op was a success and I'm back on my bike after 4 months off. :D
    Also started a new job and the commute is 90% off road along a load of new trails.
    (It's actually fun to come into work, although I'm getting strange looks as I walk through the office caked in mud.)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Asprilla wrote:

Spirit? If so, it will annoyingly only fit the small bottle underneath, which makes for frequent changes. Ended up getting the larger canister and putting it adjacent. Great grill, though.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Slowbike wrote:
    I wish I could see as much of my garage as that ... tbf - I've got double the number of bikes in there though ... :D

Ugggh Mine would be like Asprilla's if it wasn't damp and full of junk and spiders (literally thousands of spiders who are messy eaters and drip woodlouse juice on everything).
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • MrSweary wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Ugggh Mine would be like Asprilla's if it wasn't damp and full of junk and spiders (literally thousands of spiders who are messy eaters and drip woodlouse juice on everything).

Count yourself lucky - I like spiders. I hate woodlice, and as I suffer mice and rats in mine I'd rather than woodlice!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Count yourself lucky - I like spiders. I hate woodlice, and as I suffer mice and rats in mine I'd rather than woodlice!

Yup, we have mice too. And the occasional baby squirrel. Would love the spiders if they weren't such messy eaters.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Still wearing short sleeves on the commute to/from work when the commute home is at 22:00 :)
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Accompanied SWMBO on her maiden ton today... 18 months ago a 7 miler home from work knackered her out, but last August she started Slimming World and riding regularly. Lost three stone and two dress sizes and is rapidly closing in on 3000 miles for the year (which is going to cost me a fortune in Fat Face :lol: )

I am very proud :D
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    Lost three stone and two dress sizes and is rapidly closing in on 3000 miles for the year (which is going to cost me a fortune in Fat Face :lol: )

I am very proud :D

And so you should be, well done to her! Shouldn't that be costing you a fortune in 'not fat face' now? :wink:
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • Lost a cycling sock a few weeks ago going from showers to storage room reappeared this evening on my desk.
    It had been cleaned and ironed.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Quite a few car drivers in work were late today cause it took them 30 minutes to drive the last 2 miles, felt quite happy telling them I could do that same distance in 10 minutes if I went slowly.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Contractor at my workplace is always complaining about the traffic and how it isn't fair that cyclists can ride down the outside of the queues to get into the office quicker.
    Spotted him stuck in the queue this morning, so I gave him a regal wave while manualling past him. :twisted:
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • MrSweary
    The staff at Sigma Sport for dealing with the stock issues with my recent online purchase so politely and with so little hassle for me. Good work.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • Got home to find thar some of my aldi order had turned up, including the arm warmers.
    They fit, their warm, and they are just what I need tomorrow morning!
  • Lost a cycling sock a few weeks ago going from showers to storage room reappeared this evening on my desk.
    It had been cleaned and ironed.

Ironed ????

Who irons socks?