Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    forgot to set up the front brake at the weekend so discovered I had no front brake this morning ........ a very liberating and calm journey in looking ahead and riding sensibly instead of permanently accelerating and braking ..... journey time, exactly the same .. energy used .. a lot less !

must ride without brakes more often .. today I learnt smoothness
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,700
    I was in an office upstairs and I glanced out the window to see a chap cycling along the pavement with a helmet covered in mirrors. Not so he could see behind him, but a load of mirrors stuck to the outside of the helmet to reflect whatever bad juju was being aimed at him I guess. Looked like car wing mirror glasses. Is that an upgrade from a tin foil helmet? Slightly concerned that his bike had a child seat on the back. What can he be teaching his kid?
    made me laugh anyway.
  • fat daddy
    Veronese68 wrote:
    What can he be teaching his kid?

perhaps he is a broken man like me and only has the mirrors on his helmet because its what his child wants and he just cant fight it any more and has just become a slave to his family :|

.... that said I do secretly quite like the hello kitty stickers on my bike
  • veronese68
    fat daddy wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    What can he be teaching his kid?

perhaps he is a broken man like me and only has the mirrors on his helmet because its what his child wants and he just cant fight it any more and has just become a slave to his family :|

.... that said I do secretly quite like the hello kitty stickers on my bike
    Hello Kitty stickers I get. But sticking bits of glass all over something that's meant to protect you? Not just on the back so the kid can see behind him but on the front, top and sides. If your kid asked you for something like that I sincerely hope you would say no and explain why. That's beyond broken.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I was in an office upstairs and I glanced out the window to see a chap cycling along the pavement with a helmet covered in mirrors. Not so he could see behind him, but a load of mirrors stuck to the outside of the helmet to reflect whatever bad juju was being aimed at him I guess. Looked like car wing mirror glasses. Is that an upgrade from a tin foil helmet? Slightly concerned that his bike had a child seat on the back. What can he be teaching his kid?
    made me laugh anyway.

Sounds like one of those parents you see driving completely turned around facing the children in the back, eyes on the road please
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • 8 miles of country lanes this morning covered with frost and ice - got to test out my studded winter marathons and avoid the main road :mrgreen:
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    my wife is using my turbo and my bkool account .... meant I missed a turbo session last night - but hey, she's using it and putting in some good intervals.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    Walking along Brighton seafront on a glorious day like today
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Due to freezing fog the main arterial roads were screwed this morning, but driving so would be stuck in it.
    Decided to drive my rural commute route, avoiding all the kerfullfle, which was peaceful ntil I hit a road full of black ice. Lost the grip of the car many, many times. Didn't crash.
    I'm sure if I'd been on the bike I'd have wiped out many, many times.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    So my new vintage track bike that I bought earlier this week has turned out to be a bit of a mystery. The maker's stickers on it are 'Youngs of Lewisham', and date from the late 1970's. However, the frame number doesn't match up with any numbering system that Youngs used, and the frame is clearly earlier than the 70's, with an oil port on the bottom bracket, pencil seatstays and a chromed rear end.

From speaking to the Youngs 'Marque Enthusiast' at the Veteran Cycle Club, he confirmed that Youngs used to take in frames for refurbishment, and when they came out the other end, they left the shop with Youngs decals. It appears that my bike is one of them.

From further research, it is now clear that the bike is actually a 1960 Mercian Superlight. The lugs (which were unique to Superlights) match, the fastback pencil seatstays and seat lug detail match, and the frame number is consistent.

So I'm now the proud owner of quite a desirable Mercian. Result! The trouble is, now I know this, I'd like to get it freshly re-enamelled with correct decals.....
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • veronese68
    Rhodrich wrote:
    So I'm now the proud owner of quite a desirable Mercian. Result!
    Very nice. Stick some pictures up then. I'd say keep it as it is, the history makes it more interesting. Just keep a record of everything, if you can get the guy to put what he told you in an email that would be good.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Rhodrich wrote:
    So I'm now the proud owner of quite a desirable Mercian. Result! The trouble is, now I know this, I'd like to get it freshly re-enamelled with correct decals.....

I feel a project coming on. Post pics!
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Rhodrich wrote:
    So my new vintage track bike that I bought earlier this week has turned out to be a bit of a mystery. The maker's stickers on it are 'Youngs of Lewisham', and date from the late 1970's. However, the frame number doesn't match up with any numbering system that Youngs used, and the frame is clearly earlier than the 70's, with an oil port on the bottom bracket, pencil seatstays and a chromed rear end.

From speaking to the Youngs 'Marque Enthusiast' at the Veteran Cycle Club, he confirmed that Youngs used to take in frames for refurbishment, and when they came out the other end, they left the shop with Youngs decals. It appears that my bike is one of them.

From further research, it is now clear that the bike is actually a 1960 Mercian Superlight. The lugs (which were unique to Superlights) match, the fastback pencil seatstays and seat lug detail match, and the frame number is consistent.

Congrats!

contact Mercian they'll restore it to like new for a very reasonable price
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    Thanks all. It's definitely worth refinishing, as it's a bit rough and ready at the moment. If the Youngs decals were in good order, I'd be tempted to keep them, but as it is, they're very worn, and due for replacement anyway...

s-l1600.jpg

It's currently got a mishmash of components, and I've stripped it down to the frame to evaluate everything, and plan on building it up with decent 60's components. Hope to ride it in the meantime with what I've got though, and do this over time.
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    worthy of a thread all its own ... (please)
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • Just got the green light to go for the cycle to work scheme form work.....bike shopping tomorrow!
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    Did an FTP test this morning, and I seem to have re-found all the watts that I lost in the crash 7 months ago. An unreasonably good recovery. No more excuses on SCR.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    First commute, well first time back on the bike at all, since October following the second bout of pneumonia in 12 months and a general malaise...and it felt good. Took it easy, little to no filtering and just enjoyed it.

May have misjudged the clothing though, had bibs on (albeit thermal), but could have done with some knee warmers at least.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • slowbike
    We need another anti-rant - too many rants going on ...

First time back on the turbo last night having had an enforced "rest" after a nighttime collapse a few weeks ago (Low blood pressure, low heart rate - blood tests fine) - just an "easy" around the virtual velodrome - still managed a good pace (considering!) ...

now to slowly ramp up the training ready for the season ...
  • fat daddy
    first ride on the "commuter" bike since I reduced its weight by 1.6kg ..... bike absolutely flys, nimble and acceleration is devastating.

all that said, I am no faster on my commute, but that's not important, the important thing is its now fun to ride. - overall weight 9.8kg with a pannier rack and mud guards - could get it down to 9.5 with a lightweight rack and mudguards ... but £300 for 300g hmm ... I could do better by buying lighter shoes and a helmet. ... or £60 would save me 400g if I bought a light weight pannier bag and put the 1kg Ortleib down :D
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    First FUC of the year tonight and the slight headwind I faced on the way to work stayed put and it was a tailwind on the way home.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • fat daddy
    going into the garage this morning to discover the bike on the turbo has a flat ...... thinking, ah screw it, take bike off, but another bike on and carry on training ...... LOVE N+1 !!!!!!!!!!
  • wolfsbane2k
    Last day of enforced driving since first week jan.
    Back on the pedals tomorrow. Really looking forward to it. Well, I am, my knees not so much.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • j_mcd
    j_mcd Posts: 473
    Stopped to help some chap with a puncture this morning on Priory Lane (why, oh why, do people that rely on a bike to commute to work not have a spare tube, a repair kit and a pump!) and found that my pump was utterly knackered.

It may not have helped him that much but I can now replace my pump before I have to actually use it!

Winner.
    Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
    Planet X London Road - Wet
    Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days
  • wolfsbane2k
    Got delayed while trying to leave the office before the rain hit. Failed - walked from office to changing room in torrential downpour, swearing at colleague.
    By the time i'd changed, it had stopped raining, somehow.
    Meaning that the colleague delaying me had actually stopped me from being out on the bike while the shower hit.
    Very grateful.
  • slowbike
    Meh - it's a shower - you should have a rain jacket ...
    and anyway - going home, getting wet - doesn't matter - you've got a nice shower, beer and food when you get home ... ;)
  • Used the foam roller on my legs last night. Power awesome this morning :D
  • wolfsbane2k
    Slowbike wrote:
    and anyway - going home, getting wet - doesn't matter - you've got a nice shower, beer and food when you get home ... ;)

Shush - this is the Anti-Rants thread.
    And it meant I didn't have to wear my boil in the bag rainproof, or get wet toes again ( yes, overshoes, no, not fully waterproof etc)
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Saw the sun on my commute this morning for the first time since - well, definitely the first time this year, probably since about november.
  • slowbike
    Slowbike wrote:

Shush - this is the Anti-Rants thread.
    And it meant I didn't have to wear my boil in the bag rainproof, or get wet toes again ( yes, overshoes, no, not fully waterproof etc)

Ah - that's a good anti-rant ;)