Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Had a nocturnal visit on the way home, rode on for 1/4 mile to somewhere I could pull off the road and set about repairing her damage. Just as I finished putting the tyre back on a car pulled up and asked if I was OK the driver said his son was a keen cyclist and as he drove past he saw me with my front wheel off. As he prepared to drive off he seemed to be taking a long time to rejoin the empty road, it turned out he was going the opposite way to me and did a u-turn to see if I needed any help and was waiting for the traffic flow he was rejoining to clear for him to rejoin it.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Turns out a parrot owned by a bloke at work doesn't have chlamydia after all.

Oh and it turns out it is in fact male.

Happy days.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Turns out a parrot owned by a bloke at work doesn't have chlamydia after all.

Happy days.

That doesn't make it ok.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • MrSweary wrote:
    Turns out a parrot owned by a bloke at work doesn't have chlamydia after all.

Happy days.

That doesn't make it ok.

It's all relative I guess.
  • redvee
    Managed to bag €1.1521/£ for my holiday money, nowhere near as much as €1.40 I had last year but it's slowly getting a bit better for travel money.
  • GF clocked up 80miles in the first month of owning her new bike. Even asked when we're next heading out.
    “Jij bent niet van suiker gemaakt”
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    The horrible boggy stretch of the Basingstoke Canal path from Frimley Lodge Park to Deepcut Bridge has been sorted out and is no longer a stretch of wheel sucking potholes. Not hard packed surface, but relatively flat. Maybe the Canal Pixies will sort out the hard-pack bit during the next full moon.
  • Loved the weather this morning - wet, but a warm wet, so able to put some power down without the risk of overheating.
    There was so much traffic I was faster than it over a 6 mile route ( noted by overtaking a hi-ab to the hi-ab eventually over taking me). Yes, there were muppets etc with close passes, but I felt more tolerant of them today for some reason.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • MrSweary
    Little one's first day at nursery - wife says there were a few tears to begin with but she loved it and came out beaming!

Proud Daddy here. :D
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • redvee
    MrSweary wrote:
    Little one's first day at nursery - wife says there were a few tears to begin with but she loved it and came out beaming!

Tears from Mrs Swear or Sweary Junior? Today is only day one of the next 11/12 years, the smile will soon go ;-)
  • MrSweary
    redvee wrote:
    MrSweary wrote:

Tears from Mrs Swear or Sweary Junior? Today is only day one of the next 11/12 years, the smile will soon go ;-)

Tears of Joy from MrsSweary... she finally gets a few hours a week to herself during the day. If she hadn't had to pick her up the prosecco would have been out.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • From the mouths of West Midlands Police Traffic Unit
    https://trafficwmp.wordpress.com/2016/0 ... -new-dawn/
    So we need to be proactive, and so in partnership with Birmingham City Council we have a new partnership scheme which will see a traffic officer riding the most vulnerable locations for cyclists looking to instantly act upon close passes, distracted driving and the like. The cycling traffic officer when passed too close will let the officer up the road know, who will in turn stop the motorist. Then the offender will be given a choice, prosecution or 15 minutes spent being educated as to the correct way to pass a cyclist.

Following a period of education at a particular location if offences persist we will have “enforcement” only days where education isn’t an option for those committing close pass due care offences. Hopefully given the amount of publicity we anticipate this tactic will receive, most drivers should very quickly get the message and hopefully the enforcement only days should be few and far between!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Mini hopkinb finally cast off the stabilisers, and can now start and stop by herself as well, and is very proud of herself as a result. Marvellous. Off to the velodrome with her asap, see if I can interest her in being the next Laura Trott.
  • Rowing training started today.

Proud of myself for getting up at 6 to hit the gym before work, just have to hope it lasts!
    FCN 7
    Porridge and coffee - the breakfast of champions
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    From the mouths of West Midlands Police Traffic Unit
    https://trafficwmp.wordpress.com/2016/0 ... -new-dawn/
    So we need to be proactive, and so in partnership with Birmingham City Council we have a new partnership scheme which will see a traffic officer riding the most vulnerable locations for cyclists looking to instantly act upon close passes, distracted driving and the like. The cycling traffic officer when passed too close will let the officer up the road know, who will in turn stop the motorist. Then the offender will be given a choice, prosecution or 15 minutes spent being educated as to the correct way to pass a cyclist.

Following a period of education at a particular location if offences persist we will have “enforcement” only days where education isn’t an option for those committing close pass due care offences. Hopefully given the amount of publicity we anticipate this tactic will receive, most drivers should very quickly get the message and hopefully the enforcement only days should be few and far between!

That's really nice to read, although I must admit I looked at all the screen captures and thought "shrug; had worse". Nice to see they appear to be taking it seriously; wish I'd had a camera on a recent outing...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Just back from Holiday with wife and No1 Son - who is just over 1 - he had a keen interest in the kids on bikes - especially the little lad on the balance bike ... hmm - it might not wait till Christmas then ! :)
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    massive queue in Evans, gave up waiting so put the items on the shelf next to me and walked out ...... just bought them online, cheaper and with next day delivery

Yay for queues, they save you money
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,479
    Both Tashboy and Tashgirl being moved up a level in their swimming classes yesterday. Proud daddy :)
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    First 4 visually impaired guys in the 1500m final finish faster than Olympic gold medal winning time
    8)

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olym ... 39821.html
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    just spilt burning coffee all over my hand ........ and the best bit .. it didn't go over my perfectly white crisp shirt .. yeas !!!!!! the shirt is saved !
  • Other half and I work in the same office. She usually takes PT and I cycle. I always win that but it's fairly close due to the speed of the Vic Line. Yesterday she took the car because she had to bring a load of heavy stuff back from work. She left at about 6:45, I left at about 7:30 on the bike. I arrive at the office at 8:20 and am just putting my bike in the lift when she walks through the door looking very flustered and muttering swear words about traffic.

#fasterbybike
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Other half and I work in the same office. She usually takes PT and I cycle. I always win that but it's fairly close due to the speed of the Vic Line. Yesterday she took the car because she had to bring a load of heavy stuff back from work. She left at about 6:45, I left at about 7:30 on the bike. I arrive at the office at 8:20 and am just putting my bike in the lift when she walks through the door looking very flustered and muttering swear words about traffic.

#fasterbybike

New bike; tandem.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Asprilla wrote:
    Other half and I work in the same office. She usually takes PT and I cycle. I always win that but it's fairly close due to the speed of the Vic Line. Yesterday she took the car because she had to bring a load of heavy stuff back from work. She left at about 6:45, I left at about 7:30 on the bike. I arrive at the office at 8:20 and am just putting my bike in the lift when she walks through the door looking very flustered and muttering swear words about traffic.

#fasterbybike

New bike; tandem.

Cargo Tandem to be sure3.
  • slowbike
    just ordered Sons new bike .... well - balance bike ... it's his first ever one! :)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    When I used to post here regularly I used to bang on about Fighting Talk, then the presenter was sacked for a poor joke about Claire Balding and for three years it's been tat. Today, Colin Murray was back in the chair, and it's was back to what it was - brilliant LOL radio. Welcome back Colin. It was worth the wait.
  • slowbike
    One Balance Bike delivered ... son hasn't seen it yet - I wonder what he'll make of it this evening when he gets home ... must make sure the cameras are charged up ready ... :)
  • redvee
    Spent 6 days in sunny Barcelona and took my smartphone with me and incurred a bill of £5.92. Helped greatly by free wifi in the hotel and in parts of central Barcelona too and I knew where a lot of places were having been previously.
  • slowbike
    No 1 Son's face was excellent when he came through the door - I'd set up a camera recording before I went to get him in from the car - put him down inside the front door and he walked through to see his bike stood there (Megablocks make good bike stands) - smile, pointing finger and said something unintelligable - walked straight over to it (still smiling) grabbed the bars and tried to get his leg over the saddle (swinging it backwards - not forwards - so that's good! :) ) - he fell over .. then got him up and gave him a sit on it - loved it but fell over when I let go ...

We had a scooting session after dinner and he was loving it - so happy with that so far - don't want to push it too much.

btw - we got a Puky - glad we didn't wait till Christmas ... he'll be profitant by then! :)
  • j_mcd
    j_mcd Posts: 473
    Slowbike wrote:
    No 1 Son's face was excellent when he came through the door - I'd set up a camera recording before I went to get him in from the car - put him down inside the front door and he walked through to see his bike stood there (Megablocks make good bike stands) - smile, pointing finger and said something unintelligable - walked straight over to it (still smiling) grabbed the bars and tried to get his leg over the saddle (swinging it backwards - not forwards - so that's good! :) ) - he fell over .. then got him up and gave him a sit on it - loved it but fell over when I let go ...

We had a scooting session after dinner and he was loving it - so happy with that so far - don't want to push it too much.

btw - we got a Puky - glad we didn't wait till Christmas ... he'll be profitant by then! :)

How old is he, my boy is going to be two in a weeks time and so we gave a Hoy a trial in Evans. Cue lots of screaming.

He's getting a Tiny Tykes car instead which I imagine will blow his mind.
    Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
    Planet X London Road - Wet
    Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days
  • MrSweary
    J_MCD wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

How old is he, my boy is going to be two in a weeks time and so we gave a Hoy a trial in Evans. Cue lots of screaming.

He's getting a Tiny Tykes car instead which I imagine will blow his mind.

My little-un got hers at 2 1/2 and took to it straight away but it depends on the kid I guess. She'd already had a scooter with a seat which allowed her to go terrifyingly fast and she had a toddle-bike (plastic indoor thingy - which are great btw) so I guess the feeling of balancing wasn't alien to her.

In fact the balance bike slows her down a bit which is good for my heart-rate and she's had a few crashes where she's forgotten she has to hold on with both hands but otherwise ok.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon