Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• Absolutely delighted!

Cycled Nottingham to Skegness today, 82 miles, managed it in 4 hours 21, 18.85mph.

Worked with a couple of other guys a lot of the way which helped massively.

My 2nd long ride in 2 weeks, I'm loving them...going to try and start doing longer rides earlier next year!

This is something I want to do myself - how do you get back?

p.s. *cough* tailwind *cough* ;)

Was an organised event (skegnessbikeride.co.uk), they put on a coach back the following day after a night at a hotel, although my wife came to pick me up, seems lots of people did the same!

1 guy cycled back home...

Yeah, the tailwind may well have helped a little bit...mostly my hard work though ;)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Just won a TdF buff courtesy of the Notts Sportive :)

(posted a video of a nutter turning on to the 100 mile course riding a fat bike) The organisers were clearly as gob-smacked as me.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Greenwich Tunnel yesterday, three old ladies walking towards the lift as I get out. The other two cyclists in the lift cycle past them but I wheel my bike by them as two of them have walking sticks and look a little unsteady and I don't want to upset them. As I go past one of them says to me: "do you mind if I ask you a question?". Uh-oh, probably a rant about hooligan cyclists cycling through the tunnel. "Sure", I reply. "Why don't you cycle through the tunnel?" she says, "I always used to do it when I cycled through here, it's much quicker, there's plenty of room and now there's no lift attendant to tell you off". :)
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Greenwich Tunnel yesterday, three old ladies walking towards the lift as I get out. The other two cyclists in the lift cycle past them but I wheel my bike by them as two of them have walking sticks and look a little unsteady and I don't want to upset them. As I go past one of them says to me: "do you mind if I ask you a question?". Uh-oh, probably a rant about hooligan cyclists cycling through the tunnel. "Sure", I reply. "Why don't you cycle through the tunnel?" she says, "I always used to do it when I cycled through here, it's much quicker, there's plenty of room and now there's no lift attendant to tell you off". :)

I was a hooligan cyclist the other day :oops:
    Soft pedal through and at one point a lady walking the other way makes a concerted effort to walk toward me, deliberately attempting to make the space small enough that I'd have to stop. I'm already at walking pace as it's fairly obvious what she's doing. She's moves again toward me as I'm about a foot away and so gets a tiny flick of the elbow for her trouble - just barely enough that my arm brushes hers.

Cue shouting as I continue on. Meh. Don't have much time for people belligerently righteous.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I've seen some weird bikes but:

Cargo%20recumbent_zpsgq2vz4uh.png

Did make me smile
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • hegyestomi
    hegyestomi Posts: 504
    New commute home was a blast on Friday, I must have averaged over 20 mph (big thing for me).
    Maybe the double lunch helped although at consumption it felt rather uncomfortable.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,699
    No unread emails in my inbox. There were 49 until a couple of minutes ago but they were old and unimportant that I was intending to deal with them when I had time. Just killed the lot of them in a pre-holiday purge.
    Oh, and I'm going to California on holiday. Woohoo!!!
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Using Boris bikes to pootle around London at the weekend. Great fun. Even my non-cycling mates enjoyed it.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Had a puncture today, tubeless. Not easy to fix because involves cleaning if you're OCD. I am.

2 miles from work. Shared us path.

50 cyclists passed. 2 offered help.

This is an anti rant in favour of those two cyclists.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Collar off and vertebral fractures healed. Woo!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    Had some minor chain rub which was only noticeable on smooth surfaces. Saw the Bikeworks people on CS3 and they fixed it and lubed me up and gave me kudos for being nice and hard. Free bike maintenance and innuendo is a good way to start the day
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    What's going on? Cars letting me out of junctions when it's their right of way, other cyclists and peds giving me space offroad well in advance of my approaching! I could get used to this. :)
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Severe weather warning for Rain + (Gabba + Nanoflex + Sealskinz) = Not a Drop of Rain

AND all the nodders scared off by the weather forecast
  • GiantDance
    GiantDance Posts: 129
    Severe weather warning for Rain + (Gabba + Nanoflex + Sealskinz) = Not a Drop of Rain

AND all the nodders scared off by the weather forecast

Have a look now..
    Moda Prima 2013
    Giant Defy Advanced 1 2014
    Rose Pro DX Cross-3000 'MB' - STOLEN
    Langster SF 2015
  • menthel
    Collar off and vertebral fractures healed. Woo!
    Excellent news.

It go me all excited and now I have ordered my new bike and some new sunnies!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • imatfaal
    "I was cheapy little ikea nail today"
  • imatfaal
    I love the fact that strava doesn't understand tailwinds and that its power calcs are pants. It had me doing 6 watts/kilo for over 5 mins last night. And I took 2 seconds off my KOM. Well worth the purgatory of the ride in the opposite direction into fierce headwind this morning
  • menthel
    Kask's crash replacement scheme is very quick and efficient. New Mojito should arrive tomorrow!
    RIP commute...
  • imatfaal
    Perfect cycling weather and PBs all the way in. Marvelous.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Back on the bike for commute again ....

boy have I lost power!
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    Called up from the reserves for my firm's Ride London peloton relay team. Won't ride the full route, but will at least get the lumpy(er) bits.
  • menthel
    Back to exercise! First swimming last week and now a whole (glacial) 5.2km running today. And no, I am not training for a Tri... ;)
    RIP commute...
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Went in vintage bike cave yesterday on the way home.

What a diamond of a little shop that is. Made me all warm and Fuzzy.

And i left with a pair of these Shimano R107 for £35
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    A rather bumper pay packet helped by 8 hours overtime bringing in over £250, back pay for a wage increase and a 4p C2W payment.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Silly question, sorry but I'm full of them, as you'll probably find out, What is a "nodder"?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Silly question, sorry but I'm full of them, as you'll probably find out, What is a "nodder"?
    It's a snobbish term for people that move their whole upper body left/right a bit as they pedal, so they look like they're nodding.

More generally, someone slow and/or with poor awareness/consideration for others.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Thanks!

I actually thought it was a term for other cyclists who always nod and acknowledge you, (I'm one of those) and I wondered if it was the "wrong" thing to do!
    Please bear with me. :mrgreen:
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    People asking me if I have lost weight - I have!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Mrs Lex took a tumble this afternoon; broken thumb, plus plenty of bruises & abrasions. That's her out of the band for a good few weeks, and I'll be delegated certain chores.
    Why anti-rant? Chap behind us stopped, hazards on and stayed with her until I could return with a car to take her off to the Minor Injuries unit. Thank you Neil, the carpet fitter in the blue Hi-ace!