Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,699
    It's always a good day when you get a blatant grin from an attractive lady overtaking you in traffic.

(I'd passed her earlier when the traffic was slow moving, she came past again when it opened up)

So... when the traffic snarled up once more on an uphill stretch I just had to get out the saddle and give her the patented "two seals" (TM) as I overtook :lol:
    FTFY
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Veronese68 wrote:
    It's always a good day when you get a blatant grin from an attractive lady overtaking you in traffic.

(I'd passed her earlier when the traffic was slow moving, she came past again when it opened up)

So... when the traffic snarled up once more on an uphill stretch I just had to get out the saddle and give her the patented "two seals" (TM) as I overtook :lol:
    FTFY
    seal-team.jpg
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

So... when the traffic snarled up once more on an uphill stretch I just had to get out the saddle and give her the patented "Arse Clench" (TM) as I overtook :lol:
    When what opened up????
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    An easy 22 mile ride broken by 8 hours overtime on Sunday.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I basically swam the last 6 miles home tonight. The thunder and lightening just highlighted the epically stupid nature of the ride.

I saw another guy cycling the other way with us both laughing at the farcical nature of the ride and as I went past, I shouted across "just remember rule 9!" :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I saw another guy cycling the other way with us both laughing at the farcical nature of the ride and as I went past, I shouted across "just remember rule 9!" :lol:

To which he said 'WTF you on about!'....................
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Kieran_Burns
    Rolf F wrote:

To which he said 'WTF you on about!'....................

I think he laughed. It was hard to tell through the downpour.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    He didn't say that it was good weather for seals, did he?
  • redvee
    Missed the rain on the way to work this morning. Did the weather check before dressing for the ride and it was peeing down so donned Sealskinz and waterproof jacket and clear shades. Opened the front door and although the roads were wet it was sunny. Had to stop and take the jacket off after 2 miles. Glad of the Sealskinz as there was still surface water about.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I'm a size small jersey. In Castelli sizing.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Asprilla wrote:
    I'm a size small jersey. In Castelli sizing.
    You must be an ant.
  • Squawk
    Squawk Posts: 132
    Richmond Park at 7:45 this morning: mist rising, sun just over the horizon, deer everywhere. I just wish I'd had my camera, it was simply awesome.

Cold though.
  • veronese68
    Squawk wrote:
    Richmond Park at 7:45 this morning: mist rising, sun just over the horizon, deer everywhere. I just wish I'd had my camera, it was simply awesome.

Cold though.
    Bushy Park was the same, absolutely lovely. Stopped to take a couple of pictures on my phone. Unfortunately the big stag that was making lots of noise right by the path was in a heavily shaded bit so I couldn't get a good enough picture with my phone. There was a photographer that I thought may have been getting too close to it though.
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    I bought a car this morning for my missus from a bloke just over 10 miles away, so I cycled there. he and his missus were in awe that I would cycle that far. Made me smile all the way home
  • redvee
    Got the holiday off work just before Christmas which means I off work 4 days in the run up to Christmas, which given the nature of the business I'm in, retail supply chain, I was surpised. Was prepared to swap rest days to get the days I requested as holiday off.

PArcelFarce came good today with the missing parcel from Friday and another from W&G.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    fatsmoker wrote:
    I bought a car this morning for my missus from a bloke just over 10 miles away, so I cycled there. he and his missus were in awe that I would cycle that far. Made me smile all the way home

Why didn't your missus ride there?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    davis wrote:
    Why didn't your missus ride there?
    Because she's learning, and for me, 11 miles is better than none now that much free time is spent sitting by the side of her sh1tting myself.
  • EKE_38BPM
    This may be a pre-emptive anti-rant, so fingers crossed that it actually comes to pass.

I ordered two items from Rose in Germany and delivery was attempted today but I was at work so the delivery driver posted "UPS InfoNotice" cards through my door. One card said the package can be collected from a shop about a 90 second walk from my house and the other card says the package can be collected from a shop about a mile way.

So, one order coming from one company, containing two items delivered at the same time by the same delivery company and (judging from the handwriting on the cards) the same delivery driver seems to have been split and sent to to different places for collection. Sigh.

I went to the closest shop and collected a box from Rose and then went to the other shop. I showed the guy in the shop the card and he has a rummage around for it. The area where they keep the collections is pretty small but he can't find it, he invites me to go into the back of the shop to double check, which I do, but I can't find it either.

I return home a little annoyed and go onto the UPS website and enter the tracking number. It says there has been a problem with the delivery and I should call, but they are now closed, so I'll have to call in the morning. Grrr.

I then open the box I collected and it contains both items that I ordered. Yay!
    I'll call UPS tomorrow to chase up the missing delivery and see what they have to say. Hopefully they'll have another box for me or will feel bad about losing my delivery and send me another one at their expense.

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Stopped to pump up rear tyre on the way home & found a fiver on the road. Will cover the cost of a decent new tube, as the £2 Halfords new one that I tried swapping in (after failing to fix the puncture) had two holes in. :evil:
  • veronese68
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Long story, 2 deliveries parts all in 1 box.
    Maybe there are so many Haribo they had to be sent separately.
    Do Rose send Haribo? They should as they are both German.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,105
    I was quite the novelty act today. Honestly, you'd think no-one had ever heard of or seen a Brompton before. Took the office wheels to a site visit in Kew, and was asked what it was and how much it cost by a chap outside the station, while his mate watched in awe as I unfolded it. Then on site, the two guys installing the structural glass wanted a folding demonstration as well.

The funniest bit: me, still wearing my Planet X cap to keep the rain off; glass fitter looks quizzically at me and asks, "So... Planet X,... where is it?"
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • veronese68
    rjsterry wrote:
    I was quite the novelty act today. Honestly, you'd think no-one had ever heard of or seen a Brompton before. Took the office wheels to a site visit in Kew, and was asked what it was and how much it cost by a chap outside the station, while his mate watched in awe as I unfolded it.
    Did you point in the direction of the river and tell them they are made in the badlands on the far side of the bridge?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I had to change a punctured tube in the rear wheel yesterday lunchtime ... a small flint had gone through and pierced it.
    On the way home - about 3 miles in, just as it started raining - the front went down slowly ... yup - another small flint ...

Why is this in Anti-rants? Because at lunchtime I'd chosen to use a spare tube I keep in my desk draw so I still had a spare in the saddlebag ... had I not done that I would've had a long walk (not that long, just to a friends house where I could've blagged a spare tube! :) )
  • redvee
    Slowbike wrote:
    I had to change a punctured tube in the rear wheel yesterday lunchtime ... a small flint had gone through and pierced it.
    On the way home - about 3 miles in, just as it started raining - the front went down slowly ... yup - another small flint ...

Why is this in Anti-rants? Because at lunchtime I'd chosen to use a spare tube I keep in my desk draw so I still had a spare in the saddlebag ... had I not done that I would've had a long walk (not that long, just to a friends house where I could've blagged a spare tube! :) )

Been meaning to put a spare in the pannier bag, as well as the two in the saddle bag. Cheers for the reminder.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Slowbike wrote:

Do you not also carry a couple of instant patches? That's my back-up plan
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Driving Standards Agency agreed that my daughter's driving test had been "over-assessed" and was wrong. They apologised and have offered her a free retest. You don't expect to succeed when challenging these agencies so I'm very happy with the outcome.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The bargain new front wheel on my MTB (total cost less than the RRP of either the hub or the rim) held up to it's first abuse round Cannock and the take off wheel has lightened the commuter nicely as well. Small yang is that the continued slow slide of the pound is making the new rear hub more expensive every day!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Cycled down the A50 dual carriageway last night. It was shut as part of the A453 work going on at j24 M1... kind of cool bimbling along a closed stretch of fast road.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Cycled down the A50 dual carriageway last night. It was shut as part of the A453 work going on at j24 M1... kind of cool bimbling along a closed stretch of fast road.

When the Olympics where on, after I watched the road race, I rode to work down the normally busy dual carriageway, which was deserted with all the closed roads nr by, a hoot and staggeringly fast on such a smooth surface!
  • EKE_38BPM
    Tomorrow I start a training course to become NSIT which stands for National Standards Instructor Trainer. So I'll be qualified to mentor and train other instructors.
    Last week I put a business proposal together for an company in an untapped sector which I'm told was well received. So well received that it was passed onto another 120 similar companies. Next week I start the follow up to try to hook the big fish.

Considering that this time two years ago I didn't know when I'd be working next and when my next payday was coming, this is a huge development for me.

Now to buy some spokes so that I can start wheelbuilding.