Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Wide rimmed wheels, where have you been all my life? Archetypes on my new wheels paired with 25mm Rubino Pros and the roads that used to shake me half to death are now fairly comfortable. Better surfaces feel like they are being floated over. All I need is another set on the Italia...
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    menthel wrote:
    Wide rimmed wheels, where have you been all my life? Archetypes on my new wheels paired with 25mm Rubino Pros and the roads that used to shake me half to death are now fairly comfortable. Better surfaces feel like they are being floated over. All I need is another set on the Italia...

Indeed. I wouldn't go back to narrow wheels and 23mm.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • corriebee1
    corriebee1 Posts: 390
    Things i didn't expect to hear my boss say today, but did

............."so i know your pay review isn't due until October, but as you know we've been trying to recruit, which has made us realise that your salary is really not right for the work you've been doing and the results you're achieving. I've therefore approved with the remuneration committee a salary increase of 20%, effective today".

:D
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Good news! So, what bike will you be buying with the increase?
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    A pretty good one i'd say.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    Received dispatch confirmation email from Ormskirk well short of the 15 business days advertised. :D
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I took a day off from my last contract to come and help out on a brand day for my new contract. Basically I spent the day shifting heavy loads up and down the length of Paddington Station.

I won a prize for my efforts; two VIP tickets for V Festival.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Had a partial deflation on Sunday so pumped it up as I left work and repair it later. Didn't repair it yesterday before work, just added more air to the tyre and again today before I rode to work. Checked the tyre before I left work tonight and it was still as hard as I left it 8 hours ago. Will swap the tube tomorrow though as I've got the day off.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    A new lug for my Roadracers (to fit the stay to the fork) has arrived in the post, FOC and courtesy of Mr Crud and his renowned customer service :)
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    corriebee1 wrote:
    Things i didn't expect to hear my boss say today, but did

............."so i know your pay review isn't due until October, but as you know we've been trying to recruit, which has made us realise that your salary is really not right for the work you've been doing and the results you're achieving. I've therefore approved with the remuneration committee a salary increase of 20%, effective today".

:D
    :shock: 8)
    That's very good of them.
    I had similar a couple of years ago when a new guy joined and happened to find out he was on 20% more, which I called them on and they matched. But unprompted is very nice.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • corriebee1
    corriebee1 Posts: 390
    DrLex wrote:
    Good news! So, what bike will you be buying with the increase?

Actually. Probably one for the Missus! She loves cycling but has been hauling herself around on a 30 year old Raleigh Racer. We had a little boy in January and she's not been getting much exercise. I'd love to get her out on a "proper" bike!

(As she's taken almost every hit through the night for the first few months, I think a nice aluminium frame bike is the least i can do. Any suggestions anyone?!
  • redvee
    Bit of a Rant and and Anti-Rant in one here. Called the LBS handling my C2W bike and was told the bike I had ordered that was in stock at the time is now out of stock and will be another 2 weeks before back in stock so another brand was suggested. Had a look at the models and spec and the shop is doing an £1080 bike for £1k for me so now have a Forme Culver CX Sport with 105 and Avid BB5s instead of the Merida with 105 and Hayes CX5 and will be ready for me early next week.
  • kamiokande
    kamiokande Posts: 55
    Not my commute but went out for a ride this morning. Coming up to a junction, lights were red and a couple of cars were waiting ahead of me, so stopped behind them. I see a dark grey van out of the corner of my eye pull alongside straddling two lanes, so I raise my hand as if to say "what are you doing?", he puts it into reverse and drops in behind me. That's nice I think so just after the junction there's some hashed lines on the left so I move onto them so that he can pass....then I realise it was Movistar's Minibus, presumably on their way from a recce of the TdF route.
  • redvee
    kamiokande wrote:
    Not my commute but went out for a ride this morning. Coming up to a junction, lights were red and a couple of cars were waiting ahead of me, so stopped behind them. I see a dark grey van out of the corner of my eye pull alongside straddling two lanes, so I raise my hand as if to say "what are you doing?", he puts it into reverse and drops in behind me. That's nice I think so just after the junction there's some hashed lines on the left so I move onto them so that he can pass....then I realise it was Movistar's Minibus, presumably on their way from a recce of the TdF route.

Didn't offer you the sticky bottle?
  • confused@BR
    confused@BR Posts: 295
    Took my touring bike out today, haven't ridden it since last year. When you buy a bungalow the vendors are either an 'etate' or gaga, so lots to do. Currently waiting for the bathroom man to re-fit so nothing to do, getting rather frustrated, Mrs SG gives the green light to resume pedalling! A bit windy and the legs don't work; slight headache which probably came from maintaining huge grin for the entire two hours.
    'fool'
  • redvee
    A lovely ride home in the light rain tonight, saw the rain falling half hour before I left work as I was outside and was looking forward to the ride home. The only downside was having to remove my glasses as I got into the centre of Bristol cause of the car headlights and the riandrops on the lenses.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,699
    Pointless boasting of a proud parent:
    My son managed a lap of the Richmond Park trail on a unicycle. Time taken was nearly an hour, total of 1:04 door to door. Is there a seperate bit on Strava for fools on unicycles?
  • Squawk
    Squawk Posts: 132
    Cycled over tower bridge and not a car in sight this morning. Lower Thames Street had a few. Commute this morning was a good 5-10 mins faster than normal due to lighter traffic in London.

Bliss.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,699
    Riding up the A312 to work and look over my shoulder to turn right and stick my arm out, black Range Rover Sport coming up in the right hand lane slows and flashes me across. So I give a wave of thanks and move across into the gap in the central reservation. As he passes I also notice that it has private plates and all of the windows are clear. I didn't know you could get a Range Rover Sport without blacked out windows.
    So nice bloke driving considerately in one of them, who'd have thunk it?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,105
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Pointless boasting of a proud parent:
    My son managed a lap of the Richmond Park trail on a unicycle. Time taken was nearly an hour, total of 1:04 door to door. Is there a seperate bit on Strava for fools on unicycles?

Chapeau Veronese Jr!

That lad will go far
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,867
    chapeau to Boris's elves for getting the roads open so quickly last night
  • After my mini realisation I needed to do something about keeping calm on my commute I've had a really good week commuting!

I've shook off any close passes without getting angry.

I also got to do a bit of silly commuter racing today, passing the same guy twice (he passed me after the first time when I stopped at a red and he went along the path), having to catch up over .3 of a mile (that's a lot to me!)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Forgotten anti-rant from Le Tour: A friend (who works in Harrogate) won the office competition for a free tour cycling top. She doesn't cycle so I got it :) (and before anyone says anything it's a mens XL size so is a perfect size for me)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • redvee
    Blagged a Tour of Britain goody bag by using my Googlefu. The tour people put a question out on Twitter asking where did Andrei Greipel win his stages in the ToB? A quick Google and I had my answers.
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    Thanks to all the bike thieves around Victoria who somehow missed the fact that I inadvertently left the key in my bike lock on Monday night while in the gym... phew! Especially since I do know that a couple of bikes have gone missing from there in recent weeks!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    redvee wrote:
    Blagged a Tour of Britain goody bag by using my Googlefu. The tour people put a question out on Twitter asking where did Andrei Greipel win his stages in the ToB? A quick Google and I had my answers.

Enjoy your tourist map of Stoke on Trent! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • redvee
    Rolf F wrote:
    redvee wrote:

Enjoy your tourist map of Stoke on Trent! :lol:

Hoping it will include access to the start/finish areas for the two local stages.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Won two tickets to something called the London Double Header at a sports PA's meeting today. I might even go, even though it's the "wrong" kind of rugby. Makes up for banging my head and splitting my forehead open when I took the bins out last night. And no, I don't quite know how I did it either; I didn't even fall over, and I was sober :oops:
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Seeing the guy on the hand bike go round the roundabout at the Kingston Gate at speed- he got up on two wheels and it looked rather awesome. Never seen a hand bike with such deep rims either, it looked like a serious piece of kit.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • redvee
    A four day weekend starts when I finish work tonight, Friday. Two days holiday and two rest days.