Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Three times the number of cyclists on the commute today, though they weren't commuting like me. They were on some sort of organised ride.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Went to a friends birthday picnic yesterday in Hamstead Heath, took the train into Waterloo and then rode the rest, though slow, being a old MTB with full panniers etc, though the gearing flattened the hills nicely! Really nice day and good to be doing what I used to do.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Went to a friends birthday picnic yesterday in Hamstead Heath, took the train into Waterloo and then rode the rest, though slow, being a old MTB with full panniers etc, though the gearing flattened the hills nicely! Really nice day and good to be doing what I used to do.

Good to hear you're getting back on the ol steed and getting out there dude!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Avoided thunderstorms twice yesterday; first time that I've been happy that a meeting overran. Second one started about 30 seconds after I got to the pub. Happy not to see a single vehicle on the roads as I wobbled home afterwards, although shared the route with two badgers and an owl.
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    The missus is on holiday with my daugher and the in-laws from Friday.
    And on Saturday I'm picking up my new bike!
    An empty house and a week of riding and eating cheese toasties awaits. :D
    (I'm more excited about next week than my wife and daughter are.)
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Went out to 00- visitation to front tyre. Could be arsed to fix it. But why so happy?- I got to ride in the italia again!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • corriebee1
    corriebee1 Posts: 390
    'tis a little over a year since I first jumped on a road bike.

'tis a little over 2 years since my previous firm went bust and I took a job in Cambridge, meaning a long commute, mostly by car.

This week I'll ride 100 commuting miles, and feel amazing for it!! And have just agreed the largest deal in the history of my new (85 year old) company.

Oh, and this is my regular route into work!

10305977_10152439213793899_398922555658065229_n.jpg
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've joined a Triathlon club.

They go out on club runs an hour and a half before KW and they meet 200m from my house.

I might actually get some weekend rides in. Win.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,699
    Asprilla wrote:

They go out on club runs an hour and a half before KW and they meet 200m from my house.

Do you have to swim there?
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

And run home afterwards?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • asprilla
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

And run home afterwards?

Yes.

I've been strong-armed into entering a Triathlon in September anyway so I need the run and swim training anyway.

Last night I thought I might target a half ironman for next year.....
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • veronese68
    Hahahahaha, have you seen G66's thread? Are you insane? :lol:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Monday was just about a perfect commute:

http://youtu.be/miG08vIBvwc

20 mins long but lots to see :)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Asprilla wrote:

:oops:
    Likewise

Local Tri club 0.5 miles away. Local bike club 6 miles away. I'm almost enjoying some of the running :oops:
    Still crap at swimming.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    dhope wrote:
    Still crap at swimming.

Try unclipping from the pedals first .... ;)
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Slowbike wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Still crap at swimming.

Try unclipping from the pedals first .... ;)

Pfft, you've seen all the problems people have at transition, I'm saving precious seconds by starting the swim on the bike.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Uh-oh... I can almost sense itboffin starting to compose some vitriolic email in response to all this triathlon talk....
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    msmancunia wrote:
    Uh-oh... I can almost sense itboffin starting to compose some vitriolic email in response to all this triathlon talk....

Watch my vid instead, it has trees and rivers and canals and lots of nice drivers... much more relaxing 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • asprilla
    I've hit my fund raising target for the RideLondon100. Woot.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Finally finished rebuilding my Look. Once I've built the new wheels (assuming I can make them all roundy etc etc), it will need tethering.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • veronese68
    I just opened the bottom drawer of my desk and saw my work clothes folded up in there. I thought "Oh hell, I'd better change out of my cycling gear." Then remembered I'd driven in.
    My colleagues are wondering why I opened a drawer then burst out laughing. :oops: :lol:
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    1 year ago, today I found out I was going to be a dad. Life has changed for the better since
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • captain_kirk
    captain_kirk Posts: 105
    Broke a spoke for the second time in 2 weeks. Both have ended my ride.

Why an anti-rant - nearly every single person who cycled past asked if I was ok or needed help. No matter what bike they were on, road, hybrid, mountain, other. Nor what age they were - one (older) guy could barely hear my replies - I think he was a little deaf. Definitely made me feel a little better!
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Passed a work colleague in the last mile and half of the ride to work. He had to either walk through this http://instagram.com/p/oazTvaEmgO/ and get very wet feet or a four mile detour. I rode through slowly on the way to work, the ride home was different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQNXAEbCGkg
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,711
    LBSs are closing all over Edinburgh. MacDonald's Cycles, formerly Danny McAskill's employers have closed. Craig McLean's preferred machanics at Bicycle Repair Man have also closed. Velo Ecosse, sponsors of a local team for ma years, may or may not have closed.

Instead we have shiny happy bike shop brands, Evans, Edinburgh Bicycle, dare I include Halfwits, etc. Whislt nice for a browse and although you have better odds of getting the exact widget you need, they are hopeless if you want something fixed.

"Six weeks sir, is that okay?" Erm, no, its pointless. You may as well increase the shop space.

So what a relief to find that the Bicycle Works are thriving.

MY brakes stopped working on Monday. I don't *do* hydraulics so in the bike went. Back by Thursday, feeling like a new bike, after some shuffling of their schedule. Can't ask for more. Plus they open early and close late.
  • bobbygloss
    bobbygloss Posts: 317
    The Tour des Fjords stage 4 goes past my house tomorrow!
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    I have cheese, lots of cheese in my bag after raiding Neals Yard at lunchtime.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • sassse
    sassse Posts: 64
    yum.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Got a new bike coming at the beginning of next week, going to swap the tiagra components for 105 so I needed new bar tape and inline barrel adjusters so went over to Evans lakeside this morning. Picked up bar tape, asked if they had any barrel adjusters in stock. Wait there said the salesman who went off to the mechanics. He came back with a couple of jagwire adjusters. How much? Nothing. It's on us he said. That makes me very happy!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,104
    Despite their parents' stupidity in driving 170 miles back from holiday, *then* realising they'd left the house keys behind, the littl'uns were positively angelic and happily played in the garden while the nice man drilled out the lock. His bill stings a bit, mind.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition