Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Took the SS for a quick roll around the block, unlike last time it felt fine, I'd struggled to balance before. I'll take it for a spin in the park at some point.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    I had bought a moon meteor front light from wheelies.co.uk in August and the switch stopped working last week - I'd bought it through Amazon, after a brief email exchange (asking whether I wanted a refund or replacement) I sent it back and got a replacement in the next morning's post.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Bagged a whole days overtime today but the downside is it means I'm doing 8 days without a day off. Looking forward to the weekend now though.

This made me laugh on the way to work on Monday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba1YVTHEBGw
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    That is rather funny :lol:

Did you manage to get a go on that giant waterslide in Bristol the other day Redvee?
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • redvee
    msmancunia wrote:
    Did you manage to get a go on that giant waterslide in Bristol the other day Redvee?

I contemplated putting my name into the draw/raffle for a ticket but as I had to work on Sunday I knocked the idea on the head.
  • redvee
    Managed to totally avoid Eurovision last night.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694
    redvee wrote:
    Well done, although I think you would have liked the Polish act.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Veronese68 wrote:
    redvee wrote:

My wife has been having fun asking the nice polish lass in work if she's seen it!
  • redvee
    Veronese68 wrote:
    redvee wrote:

My wife has been having fun asking the nice polish lass in work if she's seen it!

Didn't totally miss Eurovision as I saw a split second when I changed channels to see if the show was over, total viewing time was 0.25 seconds. Still far too long IMHO. Will find a video of the Polish performance later.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    You'll be wanting this version.

My anti-rant: week in Mallorca booked for a family holiday- might see if I can slope off for a day's cycling.
  • Long_Time_Lurker
    Long_Time_Lurker Posts: 1,068
    My wife has finally cracked under the incessant bike talk...

She was renewing the house insurance yesterday and she asked the question; "And how much is that bike that you wanted?"
    It's now listed on our insurance, so I'm under orders to buy it this weekend! :D
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • veronese68
    Excellent. Could you get your wife to have a word with my wife?
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Excellent. Could you get your wife to have a word with my wife?

Can I swap your wife for mine? I'll even chuck in a free child.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • msmancunia
    I don't need the wife but can I have the free kid? I'm trying to go down to four days a week but flexible working requests don't really work when you aren't a parent.
  • veronese68
    What flavour would you prefer? Actually, scratch that, you'd have to take both. You'll have to pay for their food though, that might mean you have to increase your hours. On the upside, they are both house trained.
  • UndercoverElephant
    UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
    edited May 2014
    To the cockwomble of a scooter rider yesterday: You know what? I didn't find it half as funny as you did when you cut me up after overtaking. Laughing was your first mistake. When you made the second of flicking the bird, I'm afraid the red mist came down. That's when I demanded an apology.

Just after the roundabout in Musselburgh last night, said scooter rider came past me at a traffic island and cut me up, laughing his head off. I may have said something along the lines of, "Hey you! That's bad sport!", and he made a hand gesture and rode off at full revs. Well, I'm afraid to say that I lost my temper a bit*, and went after him, also at full-revs. He had a pretty good lead over me by the time I was up to speed, but I was catching him.

I caught him up as we were nearing Prestonpans and drew along side him and gave him The Stare. He went white as a sheet. It may have been that I accepted his third or fourth seemingly heart-felt apology, or it may have been that I was on the point of vomiting, but let him go on his way in Prestonpans.

Why, you may ask, is this in the Anti-rants section? Well it just so happened that this altercation occurred across a Strava section. KOM duly taken.

http://www.strava.com/activities/140565 ... 3195692790

*Erm, quite a lot. Some would call it blind rage.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Why, you may ask, is this in the Anti-rants section? Well it just so happened that this altercation occurred across a Strava section. KOM duly taken.

Good effort ... although I'm not sure motorpacing is really fair .... even if he was 100 yards ahead! ;)
  • I think I'll claim it. He *did* punch rather a large hole in the air, though.
  • slowbike
    shame you didn't have an HRM or cadence sensor on - would love to have seen the readings! :D
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    The NHS. It ain't perfect but it is better than the alternative!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • slowbike
    PB in the 10 mile TT last night and a good speed on the way into work this morning ... summer must be coming ... :)
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Anti-Rant/rant of sorts.
    About 4 miles into my 17 mile return home commute I'm heading down hill (this is the outskirts of Edinburgh, just South of Gillespie X Roads nr Colinton. I can hear a car behind but hold station about the middle of the lane (single carriageway). I'm familiar with this road and driver's bbehaviour on it - sometimes they are fine and wait since down the hill I'll be doing 25+Mph whilst sometimes they are impatient so whizz past. Not a problem with that as long as they do it at a point where visibility is good enough to make a clean pass otherwise of course, they will cut me up so as to avoid the messy alternative of a head-on with car ascending the hill.
    This car, a 54-plate red Micra (SL54 something - I'll remember you Mrs ...) very closely skims past my elbow so I give the move out left -to-right hand wave as if to say - "Give us a bit more room !!"
    Few hundred mtrs further on there is a set of lights on a hill. Driver's window is down and she pipes up 1st, not awaiting my own objections "You have a problem Sonny ?" - Whilst I am past the age where I expect to be addressed as Son the driver is a lady of at least 70 so at least I've got age on me here !
    Then ensues a bit of an argument, I only spoiled my case by saying "Bollox" at one point but I did say that "Yes" in answer to her "You're just obsessed" point that "I was obsessed by people trying to knock me off my bike by not giving me enough room".

The anti-rant / Karma ? : When the lights go green she sets off like Lewis Hamilton on a slippery track with zero clutch/accelerator control. I think she revved the poor engine so hard that there was a metallic crack/ting noise which I am hoping was a bit of a valve/piston interface.
    I saw her turn into what I think is a small road that I think has retirement homes so the car was still moving under it's own steam - I generally don't wish ill on people but she was a) dangerous behind the wheel and b) very adamnant that her driving was without blame and the problem was with me, the cyclist she made an attempt at squashing. Maybe the garage bill will put her off driving for a while.
  • redvee
    msmancunia wrote:
    I don't need the wife but can I have the free kid? I'm trying to go down to four days a week but flexible working requests don't really work when you aren't a parent.

There is another way..........

s54.gif
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    redvee wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

s54.gif

How long have you been waiting to use that smilie?
  • Think I might go and buy a lottery ticket

14170237246_14d6cde15f.jpg
    image by thefilbertfox, on Flickr
    New Malden to Epsom Downs
    60 percent of the time, all of the time
    Wilier Triestina
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
    Rose Xeon CW-3100 Di2
  • msmancunia
    redvee wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

s54.gif

Just noticed that - very funny :lol:
  • redvee
    redvee wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

s54.gif

Not long, a quick Google found it for me.
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Order placed with my local butcher, weather looking fantastic for BBQ saturday, best bike all clean & a free-pass on sunday to cycle down to Hastings for a swim. Yay.

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103
    Office barbecue is up and running

Sausage ETA: 20 minutes
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    I decided to raise my seat about 1.5cm earlier this week. Put Strava on today for my commute and made PBs on almost every segment both into work and going home. Helped enormously by having to drop a bloke on the way home. Just wanted to share 'cos it made me happy.