Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Had a glorious ride home last night a bit later (past 8pm). Roads quieter, drivers being considerate. Even had a WVM slow up for me at one point.

Picked up a limpet just before Putney Bridge - I could more or less feel his breath on my neck. Decided that as it was dark and I was tired I didn't want a potential accident behind me so I slowed and waved him past. He took a little while to take the hint but when he did he said thanks - first time ever :shock: :D
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • My new bike arrived on Tuesday, a Ribble R872 (it's lovely).. It's meant to be my 'nice' bike, for glorious days and sportives etc... However, I am having my Wisdom teeth out tomorrow (booooo!) and not sure if I will be able to take the new ride out this weekend. So I cycled it to work today instead of using my now demoted 'commuter'. It was most brilliant! I can't wait to take it out for a proper ride!!
    Specialized Dolce Elite - Commuter Bike
    Charge Plug - Pootle Bike
    Ribble R872 - 'Nice' Bike
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Lovely ride through Attenborough Nature reserve this morning with my little girl on the back. Saw two herons (her favourite) and had a waving competition with the lady driving the tug pushing a gravel barge. The lady won! She looked very happy and as jobs go it looked quite a nice one.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Feltup wrote:
    Lovely ride through Attenborough Nature reserve this morning with my little girl on the back. Saw two herons (her favourite) and had a waving competition with the lady driving the tug pushing a gravel barge. The lady won! She looked very happy and as jobs go it looked quite a nice one.

I always enjoy that mad wooden humped bridge when cycling through Attenborough... that and the wooden plank bridge that is meant to hold 7.5 tons. Rattles like buggery when you cycle over it :)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    Feltup wrote:

I always enjoy that mad wooden humped bridge when cycling through Attenborough... that and the wooden plank bridge that is meant to hold 7.5 tons. Rattles like buggery when you cycle over it :)

Best bits of cycling round there.

Sadly sold my MTB now as I never used it and every time I take the road bike down there I puncture so think I'll be avoiding it for a while.

OT - couple of lovely fast club rides out over the last two evenings. Something so much more enjoyable about cycling fast and in a group
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    No fillings! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I was just sitting here hoping that there'd be some way to watch Rio 2 or maybe Noah the movie and bless me there it is. Next up we need a new kitchen. Let's hope something suitable appears on here in the next day or two.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    msmancunia wrote:

Bar of chocolate & Vimto to celebrate? :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I'll give that a miss, thanks.
    BTW, this is the bridge.

Been meaning to try going through there for a while.
    One piece of advice: DUCK!

It's very low isn't it - followed some through pedestrians yesterday and they were bent over. I quite like the low reservoirs with the islands in the middle. What I really didn't like yesterday were the clouds of mosquitoes I cycled through - they were almost solid...
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    jds_1981 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    jds_1981 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I'll give that a miss, thanks.
    BTW, this is the bridge.

Been meaning to try going through there for a while.
    One piece of advice: DUCK!

It's very low isn't it - followed some through pedestrians yesterday and they were bent over. I quite like the low reservoirs with the islands in the middle. What I really didn't like yesterday were the clouds of mosquitoes I cycled through - they were almost solid...
    I went for a spin with MrsEKE along the River Lea, across Walthamstow Marshes, under that bridge, past the resevoirs and water treatment works, around Walthamstow, back to the River Lea along cycle paths, down towards the Olympic stadium, stopped for a pint then back home along the Hertford Union canal/Regents canal.

Pretty much all off-road for the whole journey and lots of fun.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    redvee wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

Bar of chocolate & Vimto to celebrate? :lol:

Oh you know me so well Redvee! A twix and a Vimto - breakfast of champions.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Feltup

You get filthy looks from the twitchers too when you make it rumble. There again I often get filthy looks from them as we come cruising along with mini me singing at the top of her voice.

I'm still not sure why they have only painted half the bridge with non slip paint and left the other half plain wood?

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,696
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I went for a spin with MrsEKE along the River Lea, across Walthamstow Marshes, under that bridge, past the resevoirs and water treatment works, around Walthamstow, back to the River Lea along cycle paths, down towards the Olympic stadium, stopped for a pint then back home along the Hertford Union canal/Regents canal.

I love rides like that. Our summertime pub wobble involves the tow path from Kingston to Richmond and the park on the way back. 5 pubs in about 11 miles (we could do more but that would be irresponsible) and almost entirely off road. Tonight I have to go to my parents in Wimbledon and I can do that almost entirely off road too if I fancy, it's great considering we're in the suburbs of a huge city.
  • MrSweary
    Veronese68 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

I love rides like that. Our summertime pub wobble involves the tow path from Kingston to Richmond and the park on the way back. 5 pubs in about 11 miles (we could do more but that would be irresponsible) and almost entirely off road. Tonight I have to go to my parents in Wimbledon and I can do that almost entirely off road too if I fancy, it's great considering we're in the suburbs of a huge city.

:D Had a similar pootle with the missus last weekend including a thorough tour of Bushy. It doesn't get much better than riding along in the spring sun next to a pretty lady with a beer on the horizon.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • Kieran_Burns
    MrSweary wrote:
    :D Had a similar pootle with the missus last weekend including a thorough tour of Bushy. It doesn't get much better than riding along in the spring sun next to a pretty lady with a beer on the horizon.

So we now know your wife reads this forum... :P
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    MrSweary wrote:

Probably not, or she would want to know who the pretty lady is!

Thanks a lot, folks. I'm here all week. Try the salmon.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • redvee
    Feltup wrote:
    I'm still not sure why they have only painted half the bridge with non slip paint and left the other half plain wood?

The bridges on cycle paths round this way have chicken wire on the deck to give some friction to the tyres.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,104
    edited April 2014
    Managed to snaffle two free passes to Bespoked through work, so we combined a trip to the Velodrome with a visit to the newly opened Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. Thoroughly enjoyed the wallow in all things velo and even had a sit on the ICE trike that went to the South Pole - surprisingly light steering for such a hefty machine.

Would also recommend the park, particularly the sand and water area (if with children, obviously). Take a picnic, though, as the queue at the cafe was about 40mins.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I managed an 18:54 lap of the park this morning. Considering 12 months ago I couldn't see any way of braking 20 minutes I'm pretty chuffed with myself
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • MrSweary
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    MrSweary wrote:

Probably not, or she would want to know who the pretty lady is!

Thanks a lot, folks. I'm here all week. Try the salmon.

Arf arf..
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • Feltup
    redvee wrote:
    Feltup wrote:

The bridges on cycle paths round this way have chicken wire on the deck to give some friction to the tyres.

But why not paint it all so that everyone stays upright? Bare wood is slippy on foot or by wheel!

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Feltup wrote:

Probably because it would cost twice as much to do that!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • redvee
    Took the long way into work and clocked up 22 miles which I hope to do once a week. Getting changed in work and I have a tan line developing on my legs.
  • Kieran_Burns
    redvee wrote:
    Took the long way into work and clocked up 22 miles which I hope to do once a week. Getting changed in work and I have a tan line developing on my legs.

Was it still there after the shower?
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • corriebee1
    corriebee1 Posts: 390
    Another long (ish) commute this morning, parking 13 miles out. Managing to average about 50-60 commuting miles per week at the moment and can feel the difference in my legs!
  • redvee
    Today was a gentle 30 mile bimble to 3 coffee shops in Bath and nearly crashing cause of the local ladies and female tourists, very distracting :lol: and no there isn't any footage as all that was on my head today was a cycling cap and shades.

redvee wrote:

Was it still there after the shower?

Still there this morning.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Took the New MTB out today, along the old roman road to BoxHill and back, lovely weather and the bike shone not so much down where I'm not prepared to relax and let it romp yet, but it climbs very well indeed. And I found a new to me bike cafe in ashstead.
  • rjsterry
    Barbecue lunch at work, all cooked by the boss :mrgreen:
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Saw a Road.cc article about Engineered Bikes new aluminium crit bike with quoted from designer David Fong; isn't that Roastie, formerly of this parish? Good on him.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rjsterry
    Asprilla wrote:
    Saw a Road.cc article about Engineered Bikes new aluminium crit bike with quoted from designer David Fong; isn't that Roastie, formerly of this parish? Good on him.
    Pretty sure you're right*. Good to hear, as I seem to remember his first shot at designing a Ti framed commuter (Such Bikes) struggled to get past the prototype.

*done some googling and yes! it is Roastie. They also have a CX bike - the Zondag.
    Pinnacle Monzonite