Your Anti-Rants here

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,694
    I'm dyslexic but even so I don't normally transpose letters, but today looking at a business card for a sports app, push up pro, took me a good confusing 5 mins to see pro not bra....

Just amused me.
    That wasn't caused by dyslexia. I think that's more to do with what we want to see. :D
  • Marcus_C
    Marcus_C Posts: 183
    Had a nice comedy accident this morning. Heading to a junction we have two lanes of traffic and a nearside cycle lane, the light's gone red, won't be going green for a minute or so, so I filter up the cycle lane to the ASL. The nearside door of a mini opens right into my path and I attempt to bunny hop out of the way onto the pavement, it goes quite badly wrong and the front wheel bounces back into the road, I overbalance and end up half clipped in and sat on the pavement, just behind the car door. Mother and her son jump out of the mini and start apologising, checking i'm ok, an older couple in a merc the other side of the mini also both get out and check i'm ok, and a chap jumps out of a nearby transit. What the hell's going on? why's everyone so nice?

Why wasn't there a kindly soul around when I went straight into a hedge courtesy of some black ice last winter and had to limp home three miles? Anyway, thanks to you drivers for your concern this morning!!
    - Genesis Equilibrium Athena
    - Cannondale CAADX Force/105/Rival
  • LiveGiantly
    LiveGiantly Posts: 348
    Marcus_C wrote:
    Had a nice comedy accident this morning. Heading to a junction we have two lanes of traffic and a nearside cycle lane, the light's gone red, won't be going green for a minute or so, so I filter up the cycle lane to the ASL. The nearside door of a mini opens right into my path and I attempt to bunny hop out of the way onto the pavement, it goes quite badly wrong and the front wheel bounces back into the road, I overbalance and end up half clipped in and sat on the pavement, just behind the car door. Mother and her son jump out of the mini and start apologising, checking i'm ok, an older couple in a merc the other side of the mini also both get out and check i'm ok, and a chap jumps out of a nearby transit. What the hell's going on? why's everyone so nice?

ARE YOU OK!?!

:D
    I ride with God on my mind and power in my thighs....WOE betide you!
    I know I'm not the fastest rider on earth BUT I KNOW I AM NOT the slowest!!!
    If you Jump Red Lights in order to stay ahead you are a DISGRACE!!
  • Torvid
    Torvid Posts: 449
    Marcus_C wrote:

Why wasn't there a kindly soul around when I went straight into a hedge courtesy of some black ice last winter and had to limp home three miles? Anyway, thanks to you drivers for your concern this morning!!

could have been checking to see if you had been knocked out and they could make off with your bike...

hope that restores your loss of faith in drivers :)
    Commuter: Forme Vision Red/Black FCN 4
    Weekender: White/Black - Cube Agree GTC pro FCN 3
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Clocked up a 30 mile round trip commute today, back to 23 miles tomorrow.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Buzzed by a van who took exception to me wishing to turn right. Barely missed by an Audi that decided to accelerate before pulling out (I may have to check my shoe for white paint) A headwind the whole way in that had me struggling to maintain any kind of speed

Anti-rant? Yep. On the bike with a smooth BB and just rolling along.....
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Got into work today realising that I'd forgotten to pick up half my lunch :(

The Anti-Rant?
    Despite the headwind, the test of the aero helmet and aero bars gave me an average speed in the upper quartile of my normal range and far more than I'd usually expect given the conditions. The tipped forward seat helped me stay on the aero bars too (it was too uncomfortable before) and the ride home should be good !
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Got out on the new bike today it's been waiting for me, for a few months now as I recover from my accident in December, took it around Esher Woods, lovely bike (trance x29er 2) wasn't that muddy in places dusty even! And managed to meet my wife for lunch, not bad at all
  • slowbike
    My legs are feeling tired ...

how's that an anti-rant?
    It's cos I've ridden 83 miles with 4000 feet of climbing just commuting this week - including to PBs monday/tuesday, 2nd best on a steep climb yesterday and on my CX today (and hopefully tomorrow) to just pootle to and from work.
    I've not ridden 4 days commute on the trot for a while - and I've now ridden every day since last thursday (sat/sun were fairly easy days though).
    I'm on target for my yearly total which is quite pleasing for this time of year ...

:)
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Dropped gloves out of my back pocket half way across a mini roundabout.

Anti-rant? stood at the side of the road watching constant stream of traffic cross, wondering if i should abandon the gloves, when a police car realises whats up and stops with lights flashing to stop the traffic, so i can recover them.

fair play to the boys in blue!!!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    ...as I recover from my accident in December...
    What happened? I've seen you mention it before and it sounds serious, but I can't find any posts explaining what happened.

Anyway, glad to know you're on the mend.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • roger_merriman
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    What happened? I've seen you mention it before and it sounds serious, but I can't find any posts explaining what happened.

Cheers EKE!

I had a fractured skull and subdural hemotomas from said fracture. In early December two fellow cyclists stopped first put me in recovery postion 2nd was our Steve he very kindly took my bike home and returned it some point after.

I have very little memory of that day or even week, and what I do is little snatches.

Any how while I do get exhausted if I work longer than I should etc, and get a tad vague and unsteady.

But life is good it's all going the right way. And the young women at work have started to relax and not surround me every time my movement isn't quite right!
  • slowbike
    And the young women at work have started to relax and not surround me every time my movement isn't quite right!
    Hmm ... I think you should explain this "movement isn't quite right" bit ... a few of the members on here may find that quite useful if it makes young women surround them! ;)
  • veronese68
    Forgot to say very glad you got out on the new bike at last Roger. I was thinking about the poor thing being neglected after I saw you the other day.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Got out on the new bike today it's been waiting for me, for a few months now as I recover from my accident in December, took it around Esher Woods, lovely bike (trance x29er 2) wasn't that muddy in places dusty even! And managed to meet my wife for lunch, not bad at all

Glad to hear you're well on the mend and getting out on the bike. I was having a bit of a not-much-bike-love when I had my off, and the three months off the bike have given me a new lease of life with it. Loved my sunny ride in this morning, although it's going to take a while to get the two stone of weight off that I acquired whilst off the bike!
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Cheers EKE!

I had a fractured skull and subdural hemotomas from said fracture. In early December two fellow cyclists stopped first put me in recovery postion 2nd was our Steve he very kindly took my bike home and returned it some point after.

I have very little memory of that day or even week, and what I do is little snatches.

Any how while I do get exhausted if I work longer than I should etc, and get a tad vague and unsteady.

But life is good it's all going the right way. And the young women at work have started to relax and not surround me every time my movement isn't quite right!

Ouch!!!
    Any idea what happened? Its the ones where a cyclist is found by passers-by that freak me out. Throw in memory loss as well and, well, words fail me.

I shall have to go for a ride in the sunshine to lighten my mood.

• redvee
    Last night I shamed a work colleague for the third time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcbMZSdJi4s
  • EKE_38BPM
    redvee wrote:
    Last night I shamed a work colleague for the third time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcbMZSdJi4s
    In that video you topped out at about 27mph. Not as fast as a Trek Domane then!

• roger_merriman
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Cheers EKE!

Ouch!!!
    Any idea what happened? Its the ones where a cyclist is found by passers-by that freak me out. Throw in memory loss as well and, well, words fail me.

I shall have to go for a ride in the sunshine to lighten my mood.

It's lovely out there, no idea or memory what happened, I only just remembered Steve being there, i lost hrs and days around that time. Such is life, which today is good.
  • roger_merriman
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Forgot to say very glad you got out on the new bike at last Roger. I was thinking about the poor thing being neglected after I saw you the other day.

I did get it nice and muddy and then gave it a good clean after, need to get used to it but it's a lovely beastly!
  • roger_merriman
    msmancunia wrote:

Glad to hear you're well on the mend and getting out on the bike. I was having a bit of a not-much-bike-love when I had my off, and the three months off the bike have given me a new lease of life with it. Loved my sunny ride in this morning, although it's going to take a while to get the two stone of weight off that I acquired whilst off the bike!

Oddly my weight and stats like blood pressure and resting heart rate have stayed the same, ie lowish readings. Though my fitness and stamina have fallen off quite some way.

I'm enjoying getting out on the bike, but I am a little nervous at times, but then I've only been on the bike some 7 times this year.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    There is nothing that I *have* to do this weekend. No regional commission that I have to travel half way across the country to minute, no Gareth Thomas interviews that I have to transcribe, no housework because I did it during the week, no supermarket shop because I have a full fridge and freezer, no godchildren to see, no birthdays to celebrate. Bliss.

So, I think it's time for a bike ride :D
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    W1A.

Having worked for the BBC on a number of occasions this is so close to reality that it's funking hilarious.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • EKE_38BPM
    Whilst attempting to sign commuters up for free training I think I may have been interviewed for a job by a company director. Business cards swapped and an invitation to company HQ recieved by email later in the afternoon.

• redvee
    22.5 more working hours this month.
  • veronese68
    Went for my usual Friday fry up with some colleagues. Got there and realised I'd forgotten to stop at the cash point, then realised I had 6 stamps on my loyalty card so got a free lunch.
    Double win as the loud and annoying wife of on e of my colleagues had taken to joining us in the cafe wasn't there, so ate in the relative peace of 4 blokes talking bollox without being ranted at by a banshee.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103
    Asprilla wrote:
    W1A.

Having worked for the BBC on a number of occasions this is so close to reality that it's funking hilarious.

That was the beauty of TwentyTwelve: you were never quite sure if they were making it up or not. Does Siobhan still say, "So here's the thing..."?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • redvee
    rjsterry wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    W1A.

That was the beauty of TwentyTwelve: you were never quite sure if they were making it up or not. Does Siobhan still say, "So here's the thing..."?

Caught this on iPlayer and laughed at the struggle with folding his Brompton.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Got chased by a dog today, but in a funny and slightly daft way:

Just here the field alongside is slightly below the level of the road, and a guy is usually walking his dogs through it most mornings I go past.

This morning his Labrador came bounding up to the hedge doing that ridiculously funny wagging-the-tail-so-hard-the-dog-appears-to-be-going-sideways thing and ran alongside of me on the other side of the hedge almost facing me for aaaages. How can anyone not like labradors? They always look like they're smiling and this one looked like he was having a whale of time :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,103
    redvee wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    W1A.

Caught this on iPlayer and laughed at the struggle with folding his Brompton.

Nicely observed. Also loved the Rushdie and Yentob cameos.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition