Coaching - Now I have no excuse!

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm actually comfy and appear to be pretty aero too.

The big test comes in my first TT on Aphex Twin Day (April 14th)...
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    :?:
    I thought you were trying to get into road racing - why are you training on a TT bike?
  • Anonymous
    Doing both. In fact I'll mostly be doing TTs...

I'm no where near good enough for RRs at the moment (although I have another on 17th April)
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    WTF is going on?!?

inflexibility

coming in to cycling from a gymnastics background, aero positions are fine for me and so I cant imagine what it feels like to 'lose power' when going low. must be 'orrible. my power numbers confirm I dont lose power in a 1 hour TT on a turbo and ive been stretching for 15+years.

could just be hamstrings holding you back but stretch your back and hips too. do it every day without fail! come back in 2-3 weeks with some power stats then.....
  • Anonymous
    I have noticed a massive loss in flexibility. I did Martial arts for more than half my life but stopped when my first kid came along and didn't really stretch. I used to be able to do the splits and had a really strong core.

It's all gone to ratsh1t since!

I started stretching properly last week when I saw the figures.

It will be done every day without fail now!
  • CarbonCopy
    CarbonCopy Posts: 492
    Would be nice of you to share some recommended stretches to ensure ultimate fexibility.
    The wife has some yoga DVD`s would it be wise to indulge? :?
  • Anonymous
    Erm... :oops: :oops:

I know power is, well, power but I was fettling this morning and noticed the rear brake on the TT bike rubbing rather firmly on the rim. This has an effect on momentum so the delivery of power is 'harder' so to speak... I released it and it was easier to keep the pedals turning.

I will try the TT bike again later and see how I do! I hope this is partly the reason and it's not all down to being an inflexible, overweight, 34 year old asthmatic with a duff leg...
  • Anonymous
    Redid the 5 min test and.......................

21 watts better! Much closer to the road now.

Did everything else the same (prep, music, clothing, set up)...

Much happier!
  • Anonymous
    Road bike 5 minute max test on the turbo- 343 watts. TT bike was 321.

Lost over a kilo since last week too!

I need to send my PT off to get upgraded to SL+, will do it after the testing is finished (Monday) but I'd like to have it for Wednesday's TT, although I may send it after that!
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    That's more like it.

I've also done the rear brake rubbing thing. It's embarrassing!
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • just read about your leg!

do you have an imbalance now? is one side more flexible than the other? i would get this seen to by a physio sooner rather than later if this is the case because you can only be as strong as your weakest link and injuries will affect surrounding muscles a lot affecting overall power even if you dont feel a left/right imbalance on the bike.

like bike training, the biggest gains with stretching come in the first 4 or 5 weeks. so make the most of the accelerated adaptation window and do it properly to get the best out of it. its a myth that you need to be 'warmed up' first though. so no excuse to not stretch in your spare time! youll get better gains by stretching for at least 5 minutes and slowly going harder into the stretch instead of going hard into it and being forced to stop because of the pain. you should barely feel anything at all at first. after a minute it'll feel like nothing, so go deeper into it to compensate. continue on like this and you can go really really far in to the stretch. the slower the better. as soon as you go into 'pain' your muscles panic and force you backwards.

loads of good books on this.

if you have limited time then prioritize on your hamstrings and then hip flexors.
  • Anonymous
    Cheers,

I have been under a physio who worked wonders with me, until both legs were a similar strength.

I am already noticing the benefits of my stretching routine!
  • Anonymous
    2 x max 10 min test on road bike (turbo) last night.

Legs felt like treacle and started to cramp right at the end of the first one. In the second one they started cramping earlier and I couldn't get my HR above 170ish!

I think it may be to do with lack of protein or maybe salt, not sure...

Results-

299, 275

(TT bike was 272, 260)
  • Anonymous
    Torture on the turbo today as it is gorgeous out!

However, final test done - 20 min on road bike on turbo

271 (Did 281 in Jan!) but bloody hell it was hot in the garage. TT bike was 231 last week.

The stretching and increase in protein may be helping, no cramps today.

Next week is a funny one as I have my first club 10 on Weds then, if I can get child care, race on Sat.

At the moment, the way I feel I'll be happy to do a sub 30 on the TT!
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    NapoleonD wrote:

I would imagine thats easy with those power figures. I did a 25.35 on saturday [Macc wheelers 10 on J2/3] No idea of my FTP but it cant be that high with my lack of training/riding what with the newborn! :)
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Anonymous
    a_n_t wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

I would imagine thats easy with those power figures. I did a 25.35 on saturday [Macc wheelers 10 on J2/3] No idea of my FTP but it cant be that high with my lack of training/riding what with the newborn! :)

But that's on my road bike! I did a 26.12 on my TT bike last July and that was 284 average power...
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    NapoleonD wrote:
    a_n_t wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

But that's on my road bike! I did a 26.12 on my TT bike last July and that was 284 average power...

That's surprising. As I was doing similar times and I'm not sure I can pull off those power figures! Oh wait.... I'm lighter so don't need as much power.
  • Anonymous
    Weight shouldn't have much of a bearing on a flat TT??
  • Pokerface
    a_n_t wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

You know what's weird Ant - I rode that TT like a sack of hammers, then went home, got on my road bike and went and did a 20 minute power test up Long Hill. My power figures (even after racing a TT) were almost as high as my peak back in January.

I think the setup on my TT bike is all wrong for me. Contemplating riding TTs on my road bike from now on!
  • Pokerface
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Weight shouldn't have much of a bearing on a flat TT??

Our club TT is far from flat!!!
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Pokerface wrote:
    You know what's weird Ant - I rode that TT like a sack of hammers, then went home, got on my road bike and went and did a 20 minute power test up Long Hill. My power figures (even after racing a TT) were almost as high as my peak back in January.

I think the setup on my TT bike is all wrong for me. Contemplating riding TTs on my road bike from now on!

V strange! Maybe it was a mind thing, what with changing the front wheel? I was pretty surprised at going 1.05 quicker than 2 weeks ago tbh, wasn't as windy but still. must've been the new frame eh? :)

My stats anyway http://connect.garmin.com/activity/29622670
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Pokerface
    a_n_t wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

V strange! Maybe it was a mind thing, what with changing the front wheel? I was pretty surprised at going 1.05 quicker than 2 weeks ago tbh, wasn't as windy but still. must've been the new frame eh? :)

My stats anyway http://connect.garmin.com/activity/29622670

New frame will make all the difference!
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    NapoleonD wrote:
    a_n_t wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

284W average for a 26min? Seems abit high? I did a 25:36, or 25:46 can't remember which one and I bet I only averaged like 250 odd maybe less, judging by my efforts on the computrainer.
  • freehub wrote:
    284W average for a 26min? Seems abit high? I did a 25:36, or 25:46 can't remember which one and I bet I only averaged like 250 odd maybe less, judging by my efforts on the computrainer.
    The wonders of air resistance.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    freehub wrote:

I've done 22's with probably 250watts. I must be as slippery as a snake! :wink:
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    inseine wrote:
    freehub wrote:

I've done 22's with probably 250watts. I must be as slippery as a snake! :wink:

I need the best part of 300W to get under 24:00 due to my rubbish aerodynamics (too tall, legs too long, not very flexible). I can only do it when I'm on top form and on a flat course with the right weather conditions :(

I'd need about 25W more to ever have a chance of a 22:xx, may as well wish for the moon as that kind of power increase.
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • Jeff Jones
    How tall are you Neil? That sounds high to just average 25mph (assume you're on a TT bike on a reasonably good course)
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I can beat that, I needed 323 W (330 normalised) for a 25:53 on the E64/10 last year. Not really a hilly course but there were a couple of climbs/drags that I slowed right down on. Need to lose a few kgs... Well, more than a few...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    freehub wrote:

I think you should ignore the numbers from that computrainer. I'd put money on you being able to maintain more than 250 Watts for 25 minutes.
    More problems but still living....
  • Jeff Jones
    DaveyL wrote:
    I can beat that, I needed 323 W (330 normalised) for a 25:53 on the E64/10 last year. Not really a hilly course but there were a couple of climbs/drags that I slowed right down on. Need to lose a few kgs... Well, more than a few...
    You must be a fair bit heavier/taller/less aero than me. The latter is key and losing weight usually helps you become more aero.

I've done 21'12 on our flat but slow (dead roads) club course on 335W (normalised), which worked out as 4.85W/kg. Another 13W got me a 19'45 on the V718 (supposedly an average day, but a very fast course).

Position is important. Anyone (NapD, DaveyL, nmcgann, Bueller?) got any racing pics of themselves they could post/link to?
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports