Chocolate Orange 456. Finished! (Pics Page 7)

cat_with_no_tail
cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
edited May 2010 in Your mountain bikes
The old thread got a bit long with my 456 in various guises. Well, my wheels arrived this morning, they're now fitted and the Chocolate Orange 456 is now officially FINISHED!

Here are some specs and pics of the completed masterpiece.

Frame: Chocolate 456 18"
Forks: Pike 454 coil u-turn with custom orange decals
Bars: Raceface Atlas FR 785mm
Stem: Kore
Headset: FSA Orbit MX
Grips: Ergon GA1 All-Mountain.
Bar Caps: Lizard Skins

Front Brake Lever assy: Avid Code '10 White
Front Caliper: Avid Code '10 White
Front disc: Avid Clean Sweep 185mm with orange rotor bolts
Rear Brake Lever assy: Avid Code '10 White
Rear Caliper: Avid Code '10 White
Rear Disc: Avid Clean Sweep 185mm with orange rotor bolts
Hoses: Standard Avid

Shifters: SRAM X-0 Tango
Cables: Goodridge Braided White
Front Mech: SLX
Rear Mech: SRAM X-0 Tango
Chain Device: N/A

Seat: Charge Spoon
Seat Post: FSA FR-270 White
Seat Post Clamp: Fire Eye

Cranks: RaceFace Atlas AM
Chainring(s): Raceface Team
Chain: KMC X-10SL Silver
Cassette: Shimano XT
Pedals: PD-M520 / DMR V8
Bottom Bracket: RaceFace

Front Wheel: Factory DT Swiss EX1750 Enduro
Tube: Continental
Tire: Schwalbe Fat Albert Snakeskin Evo 2.35

Back Wheel: Factory DT Swiss EX1750 Enduro
Tube: Continental
Tire: Schwalbe Fat Albert Snakeskin Evo 2.35

Weight: 30.14lbs

Picture6210013.jpg
Picture6210014.jpg
Picture6210015.jpg
Picture6210016.jpg
DSCF0316.jpg
DSCF0322.jpg
DSCF0321.jpg
DSCF0326.jpg
DSCF0327.jpg

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    good lord thats a nice looking bike :shock: loving the wheels too 8)
  • Dan Dare
    Dan Dare Posts: 367
    It's not Terrys, but I wish it was mine.

• scottbowlby
    scottbowlby Posts: 143
    this has turned out really really nicely! :) now to go get it muddy :D
  • Cheers all.

Noooo, I can't get it muddy, I'm going to take a leaf out of cheeseys book and only ride it in the dry....on the road :lol:

Joking! As soon as my ribs are better, I'm going to go give it a damn good thrashing and see how many bits I can break (both me and the bike) :D
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    stunning, truly stunning.

but personaly the chainstay protector isnt right, and the step looks a bit chunky and overly block white... needs some detailing in orange or brown, and the saddle needs to be the wiggle version..

but that is being seriously picky, its stunning, and i mean STUNNING as it is....

can i have it?!?!?
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Cheers, the Stem is very short, but it needs to be to compensate for the rediculously oversized bars. I do have something planned for them on the detailing front though. Might get it done later tonight if I can. :wink:

The chainstay protector I am trying to figure out how to make it lighter (it IS orange, but it's so deep it looks red).

Saddle I'm not too sure about. The brown matches the frame, but changing to the wiggle version is something I have considered, especially as they're so cheap.
  • Zaskar20
    Zaskar20 Posts: 557
    Just realised what wheels you've got. They're £700 a pop! :shock: Can I have them for my build?
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    amazing bike. well done. now it just needs a new frame :wink:
  • PS, very nice Mr Cat 8)

I still think a black chainstay protector would look alot better, as the one you have now draws attention away from those lush cranks, IMO of course.

I think the saddle you have now looks just right with the build so i'd keep it :D
  • Zaskar20
    Zaskar20 Posts: 557
    jay12 wrote:
    amazing bike. well done. now it just needs a new frame :wink:

Just for you Jay :lol::lol:

2emfzpg.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

You know what they say though, 'many a true word ......'. :wink:
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    you need to ditch the chainstay protector for a clear one, ime. and different seat would balance things up with the bars at the front - but christ knows where you'd start picking a seat up from that matches nicely.

I know what you're doing and where you're going with it, and I'm with you on the vision, but it's going to be a bit of a twat to get right that one. Doable though.
  • I was actually offered a custom orange Gobi saddle by GreyGoose a few days back, that would have looked the absolute nuts! Sadly though my ass dosent like Gobis.

As for the chainstay, I actually have a frame protection kit on the way from the states, should be here in a couple of days so I probably will end up sticking a clear one on there.

As for the frame, jay you cheeky little beggar you, I am saving up my pennies to swap everything over into a Ti 456 frame. Not going to be for a while though as I have other things to pay for in the mean time.
  • jay12
    I was actually offered a custom orange Gobi saddle by GreyGoose a few days back, that would have looked the absolute nuts! Sadly though my ass dosent like Gobis.

As for the chainstay, I actually have a frame protection kit on the way from the states, should be here in a couple of days so I probably will end up sticking a clear one on there.

As for the frame, jay you cheeky little beggar you, I am saving up my pennies to swap everything over into a Ti 456 frame. Not going to be for a while though as I have other things to pay for in the mean time.
    :lol: i couldn't help it. especially when the rear mech is nearly as much as the frame :wink:
  • CWNT you have a very nice bike there
    I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.
  • blister pus
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=47841

^ click on the pop up window to get the white / orange (black backend) saddle image and then drag the windows sides to get the saddle only and drag it over the saddle part of the bike pic.

I think we have a match for reasonable money.
  • blister pus
    CWNT.jpg
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    CWNT.jpg

That saddle looks a bit big don't you think? :wink:

Nice looking bike - it seems to be lacking approx 3 kilos of mud though!
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    lol thats some good photo shopping Blister :lol:

ps the bike looks beautiful
  • blister pus
    fook photochop skillage. that'll do for illustrative purposes. 8)
  • Cheers for the suggestion Pus, but I actually had that same saddle on the Mini-DH (in black flavour) and I can honestly say it was the most vile, hateful thing I've ever had the displeasure to sit on. Felt like my knackers were ready to fall off after about a mile on the damn thing.
    I do think that the Wiggle version of the Spoon is going to be the way forward.
    Black and orange you reckon?

Anyone want to buy a Brown Charge Spoon for a tenner? :lol:
  • blister pus
    i must admit I did that once with a BeOne saddle, fitted in with the decor just nice but was utterly unusable and went back. 8)

worth a punt for the price of p&p tho
  • Something to take the edge off the white stem (needs tidying up a bit :oops: )

DSCF0344.jpg
  • joshtp
    Something to take the edge off the white stem (needs tidying up a bit :oops: )

DSCF0344.jpg
    YES! much better! it needed this, it looked too much like a solid block of white before, neaten it up, soak the chainstay guard in a REALLY strong detergant, maybe bleach, or in isopropyl alcohol to lighten it and it will be the perfect bike.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Yeh I thought about bleach, but I dont want it to end up all blotchy and fooked. I took the orange chainstay guard off last night and stuck on a plain black one which looked *ok*, then I took it off altogether and it looks much better. I think I'll probably just use a clear one (my frame and fork protectors should be arriving and day now). Might give the chainstay protector a soak anyway, just to see if it works. If not, no big deal and I'll stick with the clear one.

Now, Do I go for the Black and orange Spoon, or the White and orange one? Personally, I'm thinking that as my seatpost is white, I should go for the black and Orange one. Comments?

wiggle-spoon-med.jpg
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    deffo white and orange 8) would match the bars and stem a treat
  • joshtp
    white ans orane looks too chav, the black and orange will look much better, and dont rofgett that the white will soon be all grubby and will look awful
    I like bikes and stuff
  • blister pus
    stem looks fine either way tbh, but the white / orange is the way forward with the component bits you have at the moment.

But just double check that Ragley don't do the cheeky saddles in a white / orange because it'll have slightly more orange in it - i know they do a black / orange. so can't see why they won't, they seem to have the reverse colours for everything else.
  • jay12
    stem looks fine either way tbh, but the white / orange is the way forward with the component bits you have at the moment.

But just double check that Ragley don't do the cheeky saddles in a white / orange because it'll have slightly more orange in it - i know they do a black / orange. so can't see why they won't, they seem to have the reverse colours for everything else.
    they do http://www.ragleybikes.com/our-products/cheeky-saddles/
  • blister pus
    yeh, don't see white / orange though.

see black / orange but that's no use as this bike stands at the moment.