sky team .why do they polarize opinion so much .

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    If it wasn't for the money they received for Wiggins, Garmin would be struggling this year and maybe not even make it through. Good move by Vaughters, off load a rider to pay for a whole team. and maybe get some more sponsorship this season.

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2009/ ... -2013.html

I don't think they're struggling.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,869
    DaveyL wrote:
    Or, as Monbiot suggests, it could be partly down to the ever-growing band of ill-educated humanities students. Thankfully we don't have any of them on here!
    Quite so. (In my own case, my 'psychological' background is firmly grounded in science, in particular neuroscience and the computational modelling of cognitive processes. For my final year project I also had to develop a good grasp on non-linear mathematics and teach myself C programming- which is why my first-class honours degree was a BSc, not a BA. That said, I wouldn't dismiss all ‘humanities’ subjects. My subsidiary subject was philosophy, and I gained an awful lot from it.)

zebra-social-media-expert.jpg
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    trust_me_i_know_internets.jpg
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231
    I like the way my initial (innocent) post got quoted in Bernie's first rant and turned the thread into yet another about racism :roll:
  • iainf72 wrote:
    If it wasn't for the money they received for Wiggins, Garmin would be struggling this year and maybe not even make it through. Good move by Vaughters, off load a rider to pay for a whole team. and maybe get some more sponsorship this season.

Not with the Sky money they aren't. That was my point!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    First and last contribution to this thread which I haven't been interested in reading or contributing to but am amazed at how many pages it has generated.

The original poster got more than he bargained for.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    iainf72 wrote:

Not with the Sky money they aren't. That was my point!

And Iain's point, assuming he doesn't mind me barging in, was that Garmin aren't struggling without the Sky money either, because of the GARMIN money!
  • Whatever :wink:

Sometimes I think that you guys should just sit back and read official team press releases as anytime someone posts something that may be seen as an insight into what really happened you all go into denial.

If you don't like the content of forums, keep away from them or shall we all just rely on press releases and believe what we are expected to believe?
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    "I'm an expert"
    Hardly, just refuting the implication that I was an "ill-educated humanities student". I didn't go to a "1970s Polytechnic" either...
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    You certainly have the debating style of one, maybe that's what tricked me...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • mididoctors

Hardly, just refuting the implication that I was an "ill-educated humanities student". I didn't go to a "1970s Polytechnic" either...

liar2.jpg

internet-serious-business.jpg
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    DaveyL wrote:
    Or, as Monbiot suggests, it could be partly down to the ever-growing band of ill-educated humanities students. Thankfully we don't have any of them on here!
    Quite so. (In my own case, my 'psychological' background is firmly grounded in science, in particular neuroscience and the computational modelling of cognitive processes. For my final year project I also had to develop a good grasp on non-linear mathematics and teach myself C programming- which is why my first-class honours degree was a BSc, not a BA. That said, I wouldn't dismiss all ‘humanities’ subjects. My subsidiary subject was philosophy, and I gained an awful lot from it.)

EdsBigHead.jpg
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • DaveyL
    Jeez, Derren Brown's really let himself go.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,477
    I thought it was cuddly Bob on hearing of Cavendish's dental problems?
  • stjohnswell
    stjohnswell Posts: 482
    boring.jpg
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Hitler
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Tusher wrote:
    Hitler

I see your Hitler and I raise you Pol Pot.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Tusher
    Idi Amin
  • RichN95.
    I'll have to play King Leopold II of Belgium. I'm not sure I can go higher than that.
  • Tusher
    so, you force me to play.........................

Caligula
  • RichN95.
    I can't beat that.

Under the old rules I would have brought out Genghis Khan and you would have had nowhere to go. But since the Genocide Poker Commision brought these new 'legacy rules' in, it's not been the same. It used to be all about the genocide. It's too commercial these days.

Well played.
  • Tusher
    I agree completely- people who know nothing about anything changing rules just for the fun of things.

No justice in this world, is there?
  • DaveyL
    andyp wrote:
    I thought it was cuddly Bob on hearing of Cavendish's dental problems?

Brilliant :D
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    How does it work if you a long term cycling fan and like the team?

Am I sub-normal in some way?
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    iainf72 wrote:
    mroli wrote:
    1) English rider (inc Isle of Man)

Can you define "english"?

Is someone born in Belgium with an Australian father, for example, English? Or are they "british"?

With that logic you'd have to call John Mcenroe german, and we all know he's as american as apple pie.
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    edited March 2010
    Paolo, cycling isn't like football, you don#'t "support" a team, Chiefly because they are wholly commercial enterpirses, wh y would I want to "support" an italian salami maker, or a coffee machine?

As for your Better-Buy-British logic, why should I support something just because I happen to be born on the same island as it's management team? All the stuff you mention about British riders getting chances as a result is great, but is it really true? did Ben Swift, Mark Cavendish, Peter Kennaugh, Dan Martin, David Millar, Dan Lloyd et al need Sky to get where they are?

This is my priciple objection to the way Sky have gone about things, teams have been takin gon young talent and using new and innovative methods to get results for decades it's not solely the preserve of Sky. They simply have a bigger budget and an target market ignorant of the wider picture of the sport.

I agree with this, and it's a well known fact that for years British Cycling was nowhere and if you wanted to do well in the sport you left the country. David Millar is a good example as he went straight to Cofidis at a young age and did hardly anything of any merit in the UK before the move.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    That's it. I can't top that. I am going to retire Pierre again
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,477
    That's Team Sky fan, Rusty and his long suffering wife.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Sod Pierre, the whole internet should be retired after that.