sky team .why do they polarize opinion so much .

Comments

• brakelever
    brakelever Posts: 158
    wicked , whats the fishing tackle connection then ?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:

Many a forum has been ruined by regulars shouting 'troll' and other abuse at posters who take strong minority views. Either engage in the debate or ignore him. Name calling helps no-one. If that's what you want to do then may I recommend the wretched Cycling News forum - it's par for the course over there.

The problem is he's not prepared to debate his position, which makes him look like a troll.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    FAUSTO wrote:
    Wicked...alps behind, alps behind...

Sorry you have lost me.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • FAUSTO
    FAUSTO Posts: 34
    Blowing in the wind?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    brakelever wrote:
    wicked , whats the fishing tackle connection then ?

Shimano makes fishing tackle (reels and such). Some would say they do a better job of that than bike parts.

Some people feel an Italian bike (Pinarello) shouldn't have Japanese parts on it.
  • brakelever
    brakelever Posts: 158
    doh ! being an angler of thirty years standing and a pinarello owner should have got that ! :oops:
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    i think i must be one of the only people not to like that bike.. looks like its having a sh*t..
  • lucybears
    lucybears Posts: 366
    would you buy a used car from that man ?
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    FAUSTO wrote:
    Blowing in the wind?

Too subtle for me :D
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • PauloBets
    PauloBets Posts: 108
    It is really simple, give them (sky) the benefit of the doubt. I do. Some of you don't. I get called a troll cause I don't go digging up some drug smears.."so and so worked for a team and had coffee with so and so who was caught with such and such so he must be a"..

Your threshold of evidence is much lower than ethical.

Also, I see the strong connection to British cycle racing from within that group that are the sky team. I am not jingoistic. Sky will provide jobs and opportunities that are very good for British riders.

re trolls, you are the troll when you dig up things that portray sky in a less than ethical light and this sub-section of the Bikeradar forum is turned into Pro Troll thanks to some of you.
  • iainf72
    Paulo

Cycle Sport Magazine, April 2010 edition, page 22

How is that any different from what's discussed here?
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    [

t of it's the fact that lots of people on here know an swful lot about Pro-Cycling. They've watched it, read about it, absorbed it for years. Some of us have even raced a decent level with some of the guys who are now pros, but you choose to disregard all this and just tell them they're wrong because they disagree with you.

Whether you have raced it watched it or read it it doesnt follow that you are right and he is wrong though which is basically what you are trying to say. A kind of "look at me look at what i've done over the years" " your just a troll who knows nothing etc etc........." Watch your head when you coming through the door will ya !
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Moray Gub wrote:
    [

t of it's the fact that lots of people on here know an swful lot about Pro-Cycling. They've watched it, read about it, absorbed it for years. Some of us have even raced a decent level with some of the guys who are now pros, but you choose to disregard all this and just tell them they're wrong because they disagree with you.

Whether you have raced it watched it or read it it doesnt follow that you are right and he is wrong though which is basically what you are trying to say. A kind of "look at me look at what i've done over the years" " your just a troll who knows nothing etc etc........." Watch your head when you coming through the door will ya !

Not at all, sir. You've misunderstood what I was trying to communicate. If I may try again, I was trying to articulate that the nature of a discussion is that you listen to the other person's points and respond to them. If you can do this without namecalling, ad hom and such, so much the better. Paulobets standard on this thread has been that if you disagree with him you're wrong, just wrong. No point engaging with anything you have to say because you're wrong. And a troll.

I was not trying to say "look at me" or anything like that, far from it, I was arguing that we could all do with respecting each others opinion a bit more adn being less defensive when ours is challenged.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • TH14
    TH14 Posts: 8
    Oh boy - I must be some of you on here's worst nightmare.

Just in the process of buying my first roadbikes (me & mrs ). And the reason being Sky !

Not because they are a British team etc etc, but after doing quite a bit of work for them and being completely new to road racing am totally hooked. I have ridden MTB's for years but never really got into the road side of things.

After being with the team for a few weeks and seeing what is involved I am in no doubt that Sky can only be good for the sport - It's a bit of a dinosaur and Sky are trying to drag it - albeit screaming and kicking into the present.

If it means, in this country more people get on their bikes then that can only be a good thing surely ? If some people want to keep it as their own little clique then maybe it's time for these types to become extinct.. On a recent trip to the Belgian workshop you see every man and his dog on their bikes and the infrastructure in place to aid them whilst cycling, this can only be good ?

By the way there are a lot of British management and staff not mentioned so I would say that it is predominantly a British team but as with every other sport gets the right people in the right positions regardless.

Oh yes can't wait to get out on our bikes :D
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Personally I quite like Sky as a team, they seem to have a good bunch of riders. I just think that it's stupid that I MUST support the team just because they are a supposedly British team.

Why can't I make my own choice over who I like?

And I think quite a few of us think the same.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • iainf72
    TH14 wrote:

After being with the team for a few weeks and seeing what is involved I am in no doubt that Sky can only be good for the sport - It's a bit of a dinosaur and Sky are trying to drag it - albeit screaming and kicking into the present.

Welcome. I'm sure you're not anybodies worst nightmare.

Curious though, if you say you're new to the sport, how do you know road cycling needs dragging into the present? Because the people you worked with from Sky told you? :wink:
  • TH14
    TH14 Posts: 8
    Thank's Iain

Not because people from Sky have told me but just down to my own observations really.

I am from a motorsport background and there are certain similarities with moving people and equipment to and from various events around Europe/worldwide.

If you can make the moving/working process easier and more relaxing for the riders and other staff then this can only be beneficial. Not being an expert but the emphasis does seem to be on rider care - I was impressed.

Just also from a logistical point of view Sky want to do it right, sure they are throwing a lot of money at it but I have been told there are other teams with budgets as big.

Got me on me bike !!
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    TH14. It's great Sky got you on a bike :) (even though the TV company put millions on their arses watching screens)

I really don't see how you can be so sure cycling Sky are doing it right, or even first unless you've worked for other teams, and knew more of the sport. You rather defeat your own argument first stating that you're new to the sport, then claiming Sky to be doing everything right. Have you spent any time with RadioShack? I'm guessing they don't get a lot wrong, or maybe Saxo Bank?

I don't see anyone wanting to keep cycling as a little clique, maybe you could offer some examples of this?
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Welcome TH14 and Mrs. And enjoy your bikes.

Just a thought, but how would we feel towards Sky if ASO don't let them ride the Tour this summer?
  • 2oldnslow
    2oldnslow Posts: 313
    and what do you think are the chances of that happening !
  • iainf72
    TH14 wrote:
    Just also from a logistical point of view Sky want to do it right, sure they are throwing a lot of money at it but I have been told there are other teams with budgets as big.

I think they feel a bit embarrassed about the money and wish people would stop focusing on it. But if you add on their start up costs, their budget is huge. The amount of cash they used to buy out Wiggins contract would be nearly half the annual budget of some PT teams

I think if you have a look at what other teams have been doing for years, Sky aren't bringing much new to the table - A lot of marketing but teams like CSC / Saxo or HTC have pushed things forward a lot more.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Agreed, iain - and surely it's far too soon to tell how the Sky ethos will work out or what it will achieve. Results so far have been creditable if not outstanding, with more than a few SNAFUs on the road which is, ultimately, where results are made. I'm sure a lot of other teams would like to have a team bus with mood lighting etc but I sometimes wonder if there isn't too much focus on the peripherals with Sky?

Of course, if this were a Euro team with all the gadgets and luxury buses and Sky's results they'd be accused of being lazy and underachieving because of all the cosseting!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    http://twitter.com/cyclingfansanon/status/10551129986
    Snobbish Sky still bragging about their stupid bus. Nothing like constantly rubbing everyone's noses in their fat budget to make friends.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

Snobbish Sky still bragging about their stupid bus. Nothing like constantly rubbing everyone's noses in their fat budget to make friends.

A couple of weeks back, one of the riders twittered this:

Here you go @raceready. The SKY bus. Hey, you asked for it.

71740740.jpg
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167

CFA lost the plot a long time ago. It's just random, doo-lally rantings on twitter now. Which is a shame.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DaveyL wrote:

CFA lost the plot a long time ago. It's just random, doo-lally rantings on twitter now. Which is a shame.

She does seem to have gone slightly into the bunker of late...
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Cycling Weekly ran with the tale of the bus being great but it was basically a naked plug for Sky Plus: http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... sford.html

...or am I just a cynic :wink:
  • iainf72
    I'm more interested in who has a Ferrari Coach than a Volvo Bus
  • Once again, I'm taken with the mood lighting. Although Cipo never needed that or personalised pods for his team-bus antics.

Lightweights.

@gietvangent
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,231
    I like the concept of a British based pro team that will hopefully provide a way of bringing more young British riders into the top ranks of pro cycling. I also applaud Sky for the money they have put into British cycling over the past few years even though I'm not a fan of the Murdoch empire.

However, the attitude of PauloBets and a few others like him is enough to put me off! I have no problem with people getting nationalistic or being fans of a particular team but they also have to respect that others may not share their view without accusing them of being stupid or in some way treacherous. Backing that up with bizzare claims that an Aussie pro who has been based in the UK for several years (and coached Wales in the past) is therefore British - try suggesting to Shane that he ought to get behind England in the Ashes this winter and I'll come and visit you in hospital :lol: - and that 4 out of 9 (or even 5 out of 9) is 95% in order to support their arguement.