sky team .why do they polarize opinion so much .

Comments

• le_patron
    le_patron Posts: 494
    Sky fanboys remind me of the Astana/Mellow Johhny shirted Americans on a Trek travel tour riding high end carbon bikes attempting to descend through the crowds on Mt Ventoux last July, who couldn't clip in and out whilst moving and braking at the same time....and thus held everybody up.

:D

I wonder what happened to those Astana shirts....
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Who are these Sky fanboys people keep mentioning? I haven't seen any. Not even PauloBets - he just wants a British team to do well.

Now, I want them to do well and I'm happy when they win, but I still like seeing other favourite riders, many of whom aren't British, do well too. Ultimately, I'm not too fussed who wins (outside my PTP choice, of course).

Oh, and just because someone disagrees with you, it doesn't make him a troll. Let's not make this place like the CN forum.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:
    Who are these Sky fanboys people keep mentioning? I haven't seen any. Not even PauloBets - he just wants a British team to do well.

I think the issue is he tries to insist everyone else should be a fan.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    le patron wrote:
    Sky fanboys remind me of the Astana/Mellow Johhny shirted Americans on a Trek travel tour riding high end carbon bikes attempting to descend through the crowds on Mt Ventoux last July, who couldn't clip in and out whilst moving and braking at the same time....and thus held everybody up.

:D

I wonder what happened to those Astana shirts....

How good is it to descend like Sammy Sanchez then ?
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I may be sheltered, but I'd never heard the term "fanboy" until I started using this forum (actually it's predecessor).

This isn't a dig at anyone using the term (or a defence of PauloBets) , but I just did a search for it and Urban Dictionary has this as one of the many definitions which I found amusing
    A pathetic insult often used by fanboys themselves to try and put down people who don't like whatever it is they like.
    :lol:
  • BdeB
    BdeB Posts: 110
    Just to counter one point. i don't think Sky have turned up from nowhere. The sponsership might have done but the team has taken a lot of the work done by BC. Sky provide the money to enable the road team to exist but the development has all bee done by BC. To say the british riders have got this far without sky is to completely ignore all the development they received under BC. The likes of Wiggins, Swift, Kennaugh and outside sky, Cav. all benefitted from BC and i suggest wouldn't be where they are without it. So i think it is unfair to say they have come from nowhere. BC's development team and academy have all been running longer than Cervelo, so maybe we can say they did earn their dues before entering the top level of pro racing.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,869
    TeH wEb

the thread's premise is troll bait FFS
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • BdeB wrote:
    Just to counter one point. i don't think Sky have turned up from nowhere. The sponsership might have done but the team has taken a lot of the work done by BC. Sky provide the money to enable the road team to exist but the development has all bee done by BC. To say the british riders have got this far without sky is to completely ignore all the development they received under BC. The likes of Wiggins, Swift, Kennaugh and outside sky, Cav. all benefitted from BC and i suggest wouldn't be where they are without it. So i think it is unfair to say they have come from nowhere. BC's development team and academy have all been running longer than Cervelo, so maybe we can say they did earn their dues before entering the top level of pro racing.

Hi there.

I think they've also been sponsoring the GB track squad for a couple of years too?

Cheers, Andy
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Dont get the abuse in this thread.... no need...

Sky have my support, as do most of the teams in the Peloton.
  • 2oldnslow
    2oldnslow Posts: 313
    You guys really should get out more sad sad sad sad sad.

I work in the Middle East so the internet is for me a much valued resource cut off as we are from virtually all Cycling coverage but this forum has descended into little more than banal d**k dancing.
    I'm coming up to 60 and have cycled and followed the sport all my life paper round money to buy my first Freddie Grubb and all that nonsense.

I for one am more than happy to see anything that brings the sport I love to the public in a positive light.

Out here we still enjoy our cycling despite all the problems (check out the Riyadh Wheerls website) Last week one of club memebers was tragically killed when a Saudi motorist thought it would be fun to ride at a pair of cyclists out training and miscalculated.

Now that's important not your constant silly bickering.
  • Dgh
    Dgh Posts: 180
    edited March 2010
    I guess there are some British cycling fans who don't like the idea of a major British company making a big investment in the sport, who don't like the idea of that company wanting to sign the best British riders and good quality foreign talent as well. I guess not every British cycling fan wants to see if some of the people behind our transformation into a track superpower can do something similar on the road. And I guess that there are some British cycling fans don't hope that our generally more puritanical attitude towards doping will influence road racing for the better.

I suppose some British cyclists would prefer it if cycling didn't become Britain's main summer sport, if the roads didn't have more people riding bikes on them, if more cycle paths weren't created. If we do get to the stage where a British tour winner isn't big news, where Cav or Swift have a wardrobe full of green jerseys, and where the rush hour is full of commuting cyclists, the anti-sky brigade will look back with nostalgia on the days when riding a bike made you a wierdo.

OK, team Sky may not achieve all that, but shouldn't we want them to?

It's not to do with being anti other riders. It's to do with being pro-cycling :wink:
  • 2oldnslow
    2oldnslow Posts: 313
    100% agree
  • Dgh
    mroli wrote:
    1) English rider (inc Isle of Man)
    2) British rider
    3) "British" team (ie Sky or Endura or Rapha/Condor or Raleigh).
    4) Fav other riders
    5) Fav other teams

Absolute stone cold last anyone involved in doping. As such David Millar despite his "rehabilitation" probably comes in at a 4.8.

Hate Murdoch, like Brailsford.

The Isle of Man is not England.
  • Dgh
    As someone who likes a team with a strong anti-doping position and a decent looking jersey, I do like Garmin.
  • Dgh wrote:
    mroli wrote:
    1) English rider (inc Isle of Man)
    2) British rider
    3) "British" team (ie Sky or Endura or Rapha/Condor or Raleigh).
    4) Fav other riders
    5) Fav other teams

Absolute stone cold last anyone involved in doping. As such David Millar despite his "rehabilitation" probably comes in at a 4.8.

Hate Murdoch, like Brailsford.

The Isle of Man is not England.

I think what he meant was that he'll support English riders and Isle of Man riders rather than stating that the Isle of Man was part of England but I'm sure everyone will be grateful for your input here.
  • PauloBets
    PauloBets Posts: 108
    The stated aim of Mr Brailsford of a British Tour of France winner within 5 years means he is looking at British riders, established or still in the grass roots and so riders in this country have something to aspire to. I am a fan of Sky and I hope they do well unlike some of you who are a disgrace for the constant sceptical postings and finding fault in sky. The trickle down benefits of the Sky team will be seen in years to come and you will be eating your words. And Sky have no doping scandals or riders with such proven history. They are at least a team we can give the benefit of the doubt to for now.
  • PauloBets
    The stated aim of Mr Brailsford of a British Tour of France winner within 5 years means he is looking at British riders, established or still in the grass roots and so riders in this country have something to aspire to. I am a fan of Sky and I hope they do well unlike some of you who are a disgrace for the constant sceptical postings and finding fault in sky. The trickle down benefits of the Sky team will be seen in years to come and you will be eating your words. And Sky have no doping scandals or riders with such proven history. They are at least a team we can give the benefit of the doubt to for now.
  • It's also making Dave B a millionaire and providing a nice retirement home to Scott Sunderlands pals. They can't really call it a British Pro team when the majority of the backrom staff are foreign. Still want them to do well though.
  • PauloBets wrote:

Sorry to drag this up again Paulo, but i'd be interested to hear how you support British cycling, aside from being rude to people to who don't like Sky as much as you.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    PauloBets wrote:
    I am a fan of Sky and I hope they do well unlike some of you who are a disgrace for the constant sceptical postings and finding fault in sky. The trickle down benefits of the Sky team will be seen in years to come and you will be eating your words.

TROLL
  • iainf72
    PauloBets wrote:
    And Sky have no doping scandals or riders with such proven history.

Well, aside from the guy who might have been coached by Cecchini, eh? And the management who've worked on a number of "colourful" teams.

http://www.scottsunderland.com/Biograph ... Management

Surely being involved with Basso's "win" in the 06 Giro isn't something to be proud of, even if you had nothing to do with dodgy happenings?
  • PauloBets
    I.

TROLL
  • PauloBets
    iainf72 wrote:
    PauloBets wrote:
    And Sky have no doping scandals or riders with such proven history.

Well, aside from the guy who might have been coached by Cecchini, eh? And the management who've worked on a number of "colourful" teams.

http://www.scottsunderland.com/Biograph ... Management

Surely being involved with Basso's "win" in the 06 Giro isn't something to be proud of, even if you had nothing to do with dodgy happenings?

smearing the Sky team now. How low will you people go?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    PauloBets

How much do you do for the state of British Cycling? Do you actually support cycling in the UK?

Do you marshal for local events and such like?

Such things are far more beneficial to cycling in Britain than being a fanboy of Sky
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,477
    Dave Brailsford should be careful what he says in public then, shouldn't he? Remember the comments about not employing riders and staff with shady backgrounds? Then he employs Scott Sunderland, Steven de Jongh, Brian Nysgaard and Sean Yates, all of whom have been involved in teams with dodgy reputations.

What's the Malraux quote, 'don't judge a man on what he says, judge him by what he does'?
  • iainf72
    PauloBets wrote:

smearing the Sky team now. How low will you people go?

Where's the smear?

At best it's a 7% smear.
  • PauloBets
    It's also making Dave B a millionaire and providing a nice retirement home to Scott Sunderlands pals. They can't really call it a British Pro team when the majority of the backrom staff are foreign. Still want them to do well though.

rubbish, 5 of 9 are Brits and many facilities and expertise from BC, English Institute of Sport are supporting sky. You don't want them to do well and you are posting false information.
  • PauloBets

How much do you do for the state of British Cycling? Do you actually support cycling in the UK?

Do you marshal for local events and such like?

Such things are far more beneficial to cycling in Britain than being a fanboy of Sky

I've asked him the same question 3 times now... So i'm going to presume nowt.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • iainf72
    PauloBets wrote:
    rubbish, 5 of 9 are Brits and many facilities and expertise from BC, English Institute of Sport are supporting sky. You don't want them to do well and you are posting false information.

4 are Brits. I know you struggle with numbers, but it's 4.
  • PauloBets wrote:
    It's also making Dave B a millionaire and providing a nice retirement home to Scott Sunderlands pals. They can't really call it a British Pro team when the majority of the backrom staff are foreign. Still want them to do well though.

Rubbish is it. Please name all of their British mechanics and soigneurs, thank you.

Getting free support from the EIS and BC doesn't count :wink:

I do want them to do well so please don't tell me what you think I want.