BikeRadar Forum Spring Fling Ride

Comments

• NapoleonD wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I'm looking in to getting cover for the Sunday so I can do this ride...

You're an absolute star as it wouldn't be the same without you! (I've got a disability race on the same circuit on the 20th of March. I might just join you on the 6th to check out the course).

I sent you a PM on FB about this Monday. What's your schedule?

I'm on nights Sunday so should be free in the afternoon.

I'm doing the races on 6th, 13th and 20th.

Paramount Series eh NapD? I'll be there too.

Manchestaaar is a little far for me unfortunately, Perhaps the Summer forum ride could be in say ooooo Worcestershire?
  • I'd be up for it, need to get on the trainer some more first though.

It could make sense for you to travel with me depending on where the meeting point is.

Don't ye live on the opposite side of Manchester from me?
  • benjboy
    benjboy Posts: 258
    Went up Mow Cop today on the bike.The road is a little bit rough heading up to it with all the snow grit and sh?te we have had.Some new pot holes to dodge as well.
    Keep the chain tight all the way.
  • Don't ye live on the opposite side of Manchester from me?

I did say it depends on the meeting point :wink:
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,086
    Pokerface wrote:
    matthew h wrote:
    After a nights sleep I am considering backing out of the run & doing this.

It would be good to put some faces to names & I am doing a charity ride a couple of weeks later & don't want to muck up my knee by running!

Running is overrated. Cycling is the NEW sport of Kings. Plus it's a great chance to see the infamous Bhima live and in action!

The run it is then............

Run cancelled, the only bit I am worried about is will the kids be ok in the trailer :)
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Me and NapD were out yesterday talking about a possible route for this ride. I think one of the routes that was posted earlier in this thread may be a winner.

Will have a look at it and let everyone know, but I think it's shaping up nicely.

And yes, if you want a summer version further south - just set one up!
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    It's grim darrrrn saaaarffff

All smoke and wot not.
  • Pokerface

This route looks quite reasonable. Sorry - no Mow Cop in it though!

We could meet and start in Macclesfield. That way the ride ends with the decent of the Cat and Fiddle.

Unless there is a massive outcrying for the Mow Cop, in which case we'll have to revise the route.
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    I don't mind missing out Mow Cop in the slightest.

So would you cut off the bit to Holmes Chapel? just do the bit from Macc out towards Hartington and back to Macc?
  • Scrumple
    edited January 2010
    Shame the start point is the west....

Long trip there, and back. The cafe (marked i ) would suit me much more...!

You can't please everyone but it does make a big difference to my trip. Made the same trek recently to buy the Sabbath.
  • popette wrote:

So would you cut off the bit to Holmes Chapel? just do the bit from Macc out towards Hartington and back to Macc?

may I ask how you justify missing out Holmes Chapel?! If you didn'tknow already, Holmes Chapel is in fact the hub of the universe. Just ask NapD!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    popette wrote:

may I ask how you justify missing out Holmes Chapel?! If you didn'tknow already, Holmes Chapel is in fact the hub of the universe. Just ask NapD!

I thought the universe rotated around Stanley Park
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I thought the universe rotated around Stanley Park

You are confusing home with Mecca! Even though it's not the nicest part of the city, I'd love to live in L4. H
  • pickled
    pickled Posts: 439
    Looks like a good route to me.
    Wouldn't miss Mow Cop either, I recently walked up and down it anyway...
  • I'm not to fussed whether Mow Cop is in it or not.

The closer the starting point to the centre of Manchester the better :)
  • Pokerface
    Nope, not cutting out the loop towards Holmes Chapel.
  • redddraggon
    Mow Cop is ghey
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Scrumple
    sick of hearing of the cow.

sick
  • Pokerface
    We might just edit out the part of the ride that goes right by NapD's front door though. 8)
  • Scrumple
    We could burgle it. And watch as the hordes descend...
  • Scrumple
    EDIT - the above is a jovial quip, not an attempt to agree a criminal conspiracy amongst the ne'r do wells that lurk in the darkness of these pages.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Mow Cop is not required on this ride. The route to Hartington and back is awesome. Absolutely stunning!
  • LazyBoycp
    LazyBoycp Posts: 320
    I can't afford to keep spending on cleats so probably count me out

What are you doing to them?!

Have a look: http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=21298

I might be up for this, depending on distance/difficulty/ability to get there (I don't own a car and am not sure about whether I'd manage the distance plus cycling to/from Manc). Anyone got the route on something other than bikehike? I've tried looking at it but it just tells me the database is no longer available.
  • redddraggon
    LazyBoycp wrote:

I might be up for this, depending on distance/difficulty/ability to get there (I don't own a car and am not sure about whether I'd manage the distance plus cycling to/from Manc). Anyone got the route on something other than bikehike? I've tried looking at it but it just tells me the database is no longer available.

I'll be cycling to and from Manchester too, but might get the train if there is a convenient service. What part of Manchester you in?

I've got the .tcx of the route if you want me to send it?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • LazyBoycp
    LazyBoycp Posts: 320
    LazyBoycp wrote:

I'll be cycling to and from Manchester too, but might get the train if there is a convenient service. What part of Manchester you in?

I've got the .tcx of the route if you want me to send it?

I'm in the south, fairly near Wythenshawe Hospital. Having looked at the trainline website, it looks like I could maybe cycle to Stockport and catch a train.

The .tcx file would be great, thanks. I assume you'll need my email address, so will PM you (no idea if it's possible to send them using PMs or anything like that).
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Any updates on the final route at all ?
  • Scrumple
    The thread is getting a bit long...

suggestion.... maybe edit the 1st post to contain the UP TO DATE details. And edit if there are changes?

Makes the thread easy to check for the current SOP.
  • tim000
    tim000 Posts: 718
    i might be up for this as well . will see how many miles i can get in .
  • Scrumple
    After my first 2010 ride today, and some dry retching at the top of a hill...
    I may be washing my hair!
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    On the last ride, I was one of the slower ones and everyone always waits so don't worry if you're not on top form - I've been struggling to get out on the road what with illness, then ice, then illness again. It will be nice to get out, have a nice ride and a bite to eat with friends. That's what I think anyway.