Social ride. 28th Feb. London.

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,952
    I think we're going to need routes that start and end in London!

:?:

Cars and trains to get to a starting destination are the way forward :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Daniel B wrote:

I suppose, but it's just easier to start and end in London rather than fannying about trying to get lifts in other people's cars or book bikes on trains etc
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Daniel B wrote:

I think not having to get a train or car to the start is the way forward. We should start the ride where the majority of riders are based. I wonder where that'll be? :lol:
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    amnezia wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

I think not having to get a train or car to the start is the way forward. We should start the ride where the majority of riders are based. I wonder where that'll be? :lol:

Look, I appreciate that the majority of people on here live in the smoke or its environs. But not all of us do. I certainly don't mind getting up there, as long as start times etc are reasonable & there's no problems with public transport. But there's loads of great riding within reasonable distance of London, and at least some might fancy a change from all the usual destinations. South West Trains, for all their faults, do not require booking for bikes and there's usually a decent number of spaces available.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • JonGinge wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    I think you'll find there have been several social rides Dec & Jan :wink:

You weren't there man.... in fact where were you? :P
    these social rides were never advertised on the forums I would have joined otherwise.
    Pay attention DDD.
    The 'Yokels Unite' and 'Weekend Social Rides' threads had all the details ;)

No points for observation there DDD! :lol:

I'm with DDD on this one. I don't think I opened the Yokels Unite thread as I didn't know it was about a ride somewhere. As for the weekend social rides, there was only 1 wasn't there? About 6 months ago. I think someone posted up a load of photos after the event. Were there others?

I've been on a least 2.

talking of which.

intrested parties where would you like be starting from.

I know sw london out to northdowns/windsor etc so thats a RP start (if I was to lead a group)

also pace/ distance/steep/etc.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    JonGinge wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    I think you'll find there have been several social rides Dec & Jan :wink:

You weren't there man.... in fact where were you? :P
    these social rides were never advertised on the forums I would have joined otherwise.
    Pay attention DDD.
    The 'Yokels Unite' and 'Weekend Social Rides' threads had all the details ;)

No points for observation there DDD! :lol:

I'm with DDD on this one. I don't think I opened the Yokels Unite thread as I didn't know it was about a ride somewhere. As for the weekend social rides, there was only 1 wasn't there? About 6 months ago. I think someone posted up a load of photos after the event. Were there others?

This in Decemeber, just me and ITboffin who went in the end but it was totally 'public'.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... =#15802128
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I'd be up for a slowcial in but in warmer weather (can't handle this time of year despite my love of cycling).

I'll keep an eye out for an April ride.............
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    amnezia wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

But that means starting inside the M25.
    Isn't inside the M25 an open prison or something, full of gridlocked traffic, sink estates, pollution and terrorists?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    Isn't inside the M25 an open prison or something, full of gridlocked traffic, sink estates, pollution and terrorists?

Yes, but you don't want to be there on the bad days.

For some guidance on time and distance, it's about nine miles from Kingston to Plough Lane (just after Cobham). Allow 40 for traffic lights. That's my usual route into the lanes leading to the Surrey Hills. That'll take you to Ockham and Hungry Hill, Staples Lane etc. I prefer that route to heading straight on through Cobham to Effingham.

If people want to go into the Hills, and would prefer not to ride to Cobham, I think you can park in one of the supermarket car parks - Waitrose and Sainsbury's, I think.

Fyi, The Surrey Rumble (in March) starts in Cobham.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    cjcp wrote:
    Eau Rouge wrote:

For some guidance on time and distance, it's about nine miles from Kingston to Plough Lane (just after Cobham). Allow 40 for traffic lights. That's my usual route into the lanes leading to the Surrey Hills. That'll take you to Ockham and Hungry Hill, Staples Lane etc. I prefer that route to heading straight on through Cobham to Effingham.

If people want to go into the Hills, and would prefer not to ride to Cobham, I think you can park in one of the supermarket car parks - Waitrose and Sainsbury's, I think.

Seconded. Getting out of London isn't that bad really. Having said that you can pop the bike on the train v easily and head straight to the likes of Box Hill/Westhumble etc.
  • cjcp wrote:
    Eau Rouge wrote:

Seconded. Getting out of London isn't that bad really. Having said that you can pop the bike on the train v easily and head straight to the likes of Box Hill/Westhumble etc.

yup, but personally I think it's extra making life awkward, I have to (bar snow days) put the MTB on the bike etc.

one of the joys of the roadie is you can ride out even from fairly central.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,373
    None of my business of course as I don't live in London, but if I may suggest that these things tend to be more successful once a regular/weekly day, time, departure point and route(s) are established. That way a ride becomes a regular fixture in your life. Also the ride will happen regardless of which people turn up each week.

This guy makes a lot of sense.

Actually normally he makes no sense at all, but this time....
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Daniel B wrote:

WTF??

Cycle to the starting point..MTFU :lol:

Richmond park aint a great starting point for me as it already adds 15 miles or so on the ride... but then think of the stats... that's 30 miles on top of the ride... sweet
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    There are some great rides out into the kent hills and some lovely pubs with nice ales too - various extension loops possible to account for faster / more enthusiastic folk available.

So...
    45 mile ride
    http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... /255665573

60 mile version
    http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 4481345359

80 mile version
    http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-ki ... 6244316199

Proposed lunch spot would be Crookham Hill. Fab pub. I forget the name of it but there's only one. Different groups could set out on different distances, with the aim of meeting at the pub at x time.

I know those roads a little better from my forays with Dulwich Paragon, although I still have a crap sense of direction so wouldn't be sure about leading a ride!

+2 south central starting point and a known quality pub... bonus
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    There are some great rides out into the kent hills and some lovely pubs with nice ales too - various extension loops possible to account for faster / more enthusiastic folk available.

So...
    45 mile ride

60 mile version

80 mile version

Proposed lunch spot would be Crookham Hill. Fab pub. I forget the name of it but there's only one. Different groups could set out on different distances, with the aim of meeting at the pub at x time.

I know those roads a little better from my forays with Dulwich Paragon, although I still have a crap sense of direction so wouldn't be sure about leading a ride!

Sounds good to me, although the use of the word 'hill' fills me with horror in my current incredibly unfit state! I've never been out into kent before...
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Clever Pun wrote:

So...
    45 mile ride

60 mile version

80 mile version

Sounds good to me, although the use of the word 'hill' fills me with horror in my current incredibly unfit state! I've never been out into kent before...

Sarf of der river, darlin - incredibly bad attempt at sounding like a London cabby :wink:
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    cjcp wrote:
    Allow 40 for traffic lights.

What! There are traffic lights on your weekend fun bike rides? The horror.
    Seriously, London is an Open Prison, isn't it?
    ;)
  • Headhuunter
    Clever Pun wrote:

So...
    45 mile ride

60 mile version

80 mile version

Yes a south central starting point would be excellent. I'm the same as you, to and from Richmond Park in the extreme SW of London, from near Greenwich already adds 10 odd miles each end of the ride. I suppose catching a train to a start point further out would be OK if everyone really wants to do that...
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    I want to come and play too and may bring someone else too.

By some miracle I am actually free that day.
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Oh, oh , oh I'll come and play, I've ridden arround that area a few times and there's some fantastic riding :lol:

And there's no way I'm meeting in RP, that adds 30 miles to my journey
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Headhuunter
    Rich158 wrote:
    Oh, oh , oh I'll come and play, I've ridden arround that area a few times and there's some fantastic riding :lol:

There's growing demand for a more central meeting point! Join the campaign to ditch Richmond Park!
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    like to try, possibly a good way to notch up my first metric century.
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • Or... set up a standard cunning plan (as Wheezy McChubby suggests) along the lines of:

1st weekend of the month : Kent rides, beginning from Crystal Palace Park Entrance, 10am.
    3rd weekend of the month : Surrey rides, beginning from Kingston gate, 10am

This would give options for those who hate trains / rail replacement services but who also don't fancy cycling 10 miles to get to the start.

I believe there are also people who live North of the river (shock!) but I know nothing of those parts.

This may all be WAY too much organisation for this forum but just a thought...
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Rich158 wrote:

There's growing demand for a more central meeting point! Join the campaign to ditch Richmond Park!

Ditch RP? Have you lost your mind sir? RP is the destination of choice for all right thinking roadies. :D
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Alright peeps what route do we appear to have decided on?

If London Livvy's route (know where you live now) then perhaps meet at in that area.

List of people attending:
    Dondaddyd
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Date : we're talking about 28th Feb, right?

Route :
    I vote for Kent Hills route(s). Meeting at entrance to CP Park, off Anerley Hill.
    Dondaddyd
    LondonLivvy
  • PinkPedal
    PinkPedal Posts: 180
    Briefly online from the land down under to say that I would definitely be interested in another moderately paced social ride! Need to get back into riding after work, Christmas, househunting and holidays have put an end to my fitness :oops: Crystal palace is a good start point and the DP ride that goes out from there is certainly good.
    Dondaddyd
    PinkPedal (maybe + 1-3 others)
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Date : we're talking about 28th Feb, right?

Route :
    I vote for Kent Hills route(s). Meeting at entrance to CP Park, off Anerley Hill.
    Dondaddyd
    LondonLivvy
    Bassjunkieuk

Meeting at CP is just about perfect for me, although I'd have a choice of hills to come over or around to get there so that should warm me up nicely!
    Which one of the routes are we considering?
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    edited January 2010
    Dondaddyd
    LondonLivvy
    Rich158
    Bassjunkie
    PinkPedal

I may meet you lot en-route somewhere, seeing as I'm in Kent anyway
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Or... set up a standard cunning plan (as Wheezy McChubby suggests) along the lines of:

1st weekend of the month : Kent rides, beginning from Crystal Palace Park Entrance, 10am.
    3rd weekend of the month : Surrey rides, beginning from Kingston gate, 10am

This would give options for those who hate trains / rail replacement services but who also don't fancy cycling 10 miles to get to the start.

+1 While I'm down with the Kent ride, I'd much prefer a Surrey one.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game