Social ride. 28th Feb. London.

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,206
    I'll be grabbing a bacon butty at cafe St Germain before kick off tomorrow, sounds like we'll need some winter fuel on board.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    I'll be grabbing a bacon butty at cafe St Germain before kick off tomorrow, sounds like we'll need some winter fuel on board.

Good idea. I was eating like a horse all night, it paid off. Yes, the riding was hard work, but I had the energy to keep going.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Can someone just remind me of the meeting place and time? I know it's in Crystal Palace but specifically where? I can't be bothered to scroll back through pages and pages to find it! Accuweather reckons that there be a "little rain" tomorrow, certainly not the fire and brimstone weather the Met Office is predicting and if it's anything like today it'll be perfect. In SE London at the mo the sky is blue, the sun is shining and it's about 10C, really feels like the 1st day of spring. The only thing is I am coming down with a cold at the mo, cough and a lot of catarrh (sp?), hopefully I'll be OK for tomorrow...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • I am quite possibly out of this one... weather and commitments getting in the way.

have only managed a couple of rides this month :evil:
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • Stevo_666
    Can someone just remind me of the meeting place and time? I know it's in Crystal Palace but specifically where?
    It's at the entrance to Crystal Palace Park, just off Anerley Hill (fairly close to the top of the hill). Ceefax weather forecast for tomorrow looks dreadful but its mild and sunny in Beckenham right now...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Headhuunter
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Can someone just remind me of the meeting place and time? I know it's in Crystal Palace but specifically where?
    It's at the entrance to Crystal Palace Park, just off Anerley Hill (fairly close to the top of the hill). Ceefax weather forecast for tomorrow looks dreadful but its mild and sunny in Beckenham right now...

Thanks. What time did we agree? Was it 10am? Hmmm. Accuweather has changed it's forecast to "rain, some heavy"... I've just lovingly cleaned and polished the bloody bike!
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Norky and I are definitely out. Sorry.

I now make LondonLivvy's list look a bit like this:

Definitely doing it, regardless of weather:
    Bassjunkieuk
    Eau Rouge
    LondonLivvy

Maybe (ie if no rain):
    DDD
    (Fast) Clever Pun
    (Fast) Headhuunter
    Fireblade96
    PinkPedal
    Sewinman
    Skippy2309

Not yet declared intentions:
    JonGinge
    londonbairn
    markshaw77
    Oddjob62
    Stevo 666

Definitely not coming:
    Brun
    Cori
    davis
    Il Principe
    itboffin
    LiT
    MonkeyMonster
    Norky
    Rich158
    roger merriman
    StuAff

If you're interested in the why (you aren't), then a minor off broke Norky's glasses today, and a twisted thumb means he can't shift (the hybrid-riding, blouse-wearing jessie), the timing was always going to be tight for us, and I just don't fancy the train ride up to London followed by another ride in the rain. There, I said it. I best get down the cop shop and register myself as a blouse-wearing jessie too.

Sorry all, we're both definitely keen on another social ride; perhaps in more clement weather.

Have a great time if you're going.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Stevo_666
    Thanks. What time did we agree? Was it 10am? Hmmm. Accuweather has changed it's forecast to "rain, some heavy"... I've just lovingly cleaned and polished the bloody bike!
    10 am unless you fancy a bacon butty beforehand at the cafe at the top of the hill.

Now getting my waterproof jacket & tights out, but at least haven't bothered to clean the bike :) Bl**dy Metcheck says heavy sleet - though they've been badly wrong before!
  • I'm def gonna be in the waterproof jacket, don't own any waterproof leggings so will just have to sport the lightweight 3/4 lengths over the cycleshorts/thermal leggins combo :-)
    The Roadracers will at least keep my ar$e dry and the impending monsoon should be a good test of the dhb (jacket and overshoes) and Endura (gloves) claimed waterproofness :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • It certainly looks like being pretty foul tomorrow but an excellent test of waterproof sox etc - and morale, possibly - But I'll be at the entrance to CP park at 10am.

If anyone wants me to email over the route card to them, let me know. my printer has gone sick.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Brrr...sorry kids, I'm out.
    Forecast is foul, it's a PITA for me to get to the start, and I've just got back from the pub after celebrating the 6 Nations result of this afternoon ;-)

If it's any way decent weather here I'll go for a solo ride, if the deluge hits I'll clean the bike and (after this afternoon's conversation with my LBS fixie advisor) try to make some progress onmy retrobike project.

Have fun and be safe out there. Don't forget to wear your armbands and bring your rubber ducks.
    Misguided Idealist
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    I'm out I'm afraid. Late change of plans mean I need to do the things I was supposed to do today, tomorrow instead. Till next time.
  • This looks like it could be fun! Very damp out there and the wind is certainly giving the bushes in next doors garden a good bashing and I live about 10 minutes from the start point :-(
    Might switch to the 45 mile ride or see what our options are when I get there......
    Tucking into a nice warm bowl of porridge now :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Good luck folks, I'll be thinking of you as I knock out a few turbo miles :wink:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • This looks like it could be fun! Very damp out there and the wind is certainly giving the bushes in next doors garden a good bashing and I live about 10 minutes from the start point :-(
    Might switch to the 45 mile ride or see what our options are when I get there......
    Tucking into a nice warm bowl of porridge now :-)

Yup. not filling my heart with glee...

+1 re the porridge...
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Sorry guys I'm out. I just can't more wet rides right now and it was very bad yesterday night, don't want to get caught out again.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Looks like literally the end of the world out there.
    Respect to those riding.
  • Whoever makes it out today - enjoy the ride!

I'm out both because of the horrid weather and the fact that I've left my bike shoes out at Mr PP's house.

Would really like to come along to another Slowcial though when the weather has cleared up a bit.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I'm out the weather is grim here already and it's just the start of it.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    davis wrote:
    If you're interested in the why (you aren't), then a minor off broke Norky's glasses today, and a twisted thumb means he can't shift (the hybrid-riding, blouse-wearing jessie)

Indeed. Ow. My Sirrus went from 27 possible gears to 3 'cos I could only change on the chainrings on the way back yesterday. That has persuaded me of the utter foolishness of all single-speed bicycles ;)

To Londonlivvy thank you for your efforts organising it and sorry we couldn't make it. To those still going, my hat to you.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • Retch
    Retch Posts: 78
    Chapeau to those still off out, but no desire to get soaked to the skin today. It's grim out there.
    Sorry!
    FCN 5ish. Unless hungover.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Bass, Liv and anyone else that made it out - chapEAU. You are mental.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Bass, Liv and anyone else that made it out - chapEAU. You are mental.

Seconded!
  • Headhuunter
    Yeah, I didn't make. Got up at about 8.30am, looked outside an it was wazzing it down and the wind was blowing. I'll cycle up to the gym in Islington later - round trip of about 15-16 miles but that'll be it in this weather. Shame. We could have done with yesterday's and today's weather swapped round. Let's do another one in a few weeks or a month or so. Perhaps in April?
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Yeah, I didn't make. Got up at about 8.30am, looked outside an it was wazzing it down and the wind was blowing. I'll cycle up to the gym in Islington later - round trip of about 15-16 miles but that'll be it in this weather. Shame. We could have done with yesterday's and today's weather swapped round. Let's do another one in a few weeks or a month or so. Perhaps in April?

+1 for that. April 25?

As IP and Wanda say, chapeau for getting out in that weather. Though I preferred yesterday's weather, yesterday, thanks very much (Ditchling Beacon is bad enough in the dry!). Slightly more clement here, but sorry, glad I stayed in bed this morning. Needed the kip after 38 hours awake...
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    It's didn't stop raining all day yesterday, today it's actually not bad - shame I had so much fettling to do.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I live pretty close to the start and initial couple of miles... I'm glad I'm not out there

watching the footy with a nice hot cup of coffee

Chapeau to those out there
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • There was a hard core of three - me, Steve666 and Bassjunkie. And a random lass who Steve bumped into at the St Germain cafe. It transpired she'd been hoping to meet the Dulwich paragon lot (who'd all stayed in bed, we guessed) so she gamely came along with us for the first half instead.

The rain and wind weren't as bad as I'd feared but the roads were literally like rivers, 2-3 inches deep in water. It was comical. But the beer was lovely and the bangers and mash well earned. And the pub didn't seem to mind our kit on the radiators and us dripping all over the floor.

Thanks to the boys for waiting for me at the top of the hills. Great fun day out.

Right. I'm off for a hot shower...
  • Good stuff guys, I have only just managed to get myself vertical.