Food Room 101

Comments

• You say blood and fat like it's a bad thing
    aye...what's wrong with blood and fat? all major food groups covered - plus IT TASTES GOOD.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    What in the name of all that is good in the world are 'home fries'?
    Do they mean chips, like what all cockneys strangely have with their cooked breakfast?

Home fries - they're like potatoes that have been boiled (often in their skins), chopped into big chunks, and shallow fried. Yummmm.... :-)
    Misguided Idealist
  • chips, then?
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Brownies with cranberries are for the clinically insane, and the best brownies in the world are the ones I make. (Now available without nuts)

Ooh goody, I hate nuts. I'd like to place an order please, for brownies and perhaps some sort of meat pie?

Excellent choice sir. We currently have goose, turkey, venison, or the special which is beef wellington pie, or fillet steak and pate with a light gravy.

Actually scratch that. The beef wellington pie is mine.

Oh man, I'll take one of each!

*drool

+1. Or multiple venison ones.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Fireblade96
    chips, then?

No, not quite.
    Fried potatoes.

I know, it's a silly name, but they are good - and not an American invention, haven't you ever fried leftover potatoes? With bacon, mmmm....
    Misguided Idealist
  • Fireblade96
    Now, I know that the idea of American breakfasts , sweet & savoury at the same time, may scare some of the more timid among you...

I'm not timid, I really will eat most things, and i've tried maple syrup with various things, sweet and savoury... it's just rank. Sorry.

To be fair, I wasn't expecting to like it...but I just couldn't decide between pancakes and a bacon-based breakfast. So I had both. At the same time. It was surprisingly good ;-)

Thankfully I only lived there for 6 months or I'd have super-sized myself !
    Misguided Idealist
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    OK, so lets sort this out,
    black puding is mank, its moraly worng, and should be banned
    it is, afterall, just blood and fat...

You say blood and fat like it's a bad thing
    lol
    ye,
    iv just thought of a funny story actually,
    once my cousin proclaimed loudly (on being handed my mums sugar and fat free variant of flap-jack) that fat and sugar are what makes things taste nice....
    so, after he had retired to his room (he was iving with us at the time) i thinly sliced some lard, and aranged it in a attractive spiral pattern, before sprinkling genoursly with sugar.....
    he almost ate it......
    (unfortunately he worked out what it was when i told him it was the nicest food known to man...)
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    white pudding on the other hand.....!
    its such a shame its practicaly imposible to get hold of in this country...

Black pudding is one of the finest foods known to man. Great with a fry up or for a posher option, with scallops. There is a place called Grazing on Great Tower Street in London (best bacon sandwiches in the City - FACT) that does black pudding and fried egg rolls, absolute magic. They also do haggis :D

White pudding is also great - you get it a lot in Scotland.

A good burger is a great thing, but I'm not a fan of the big burger chains - they use the sweepings left over after the real meat has been used. It just tastes - grey. Quite like the ones at Gourmet Burger Kitchen.
  • I hate trout.
  • i do hope cucumbers dpnt go to room 101; you cant beat cucumber sandwhiches in summer, with crusts trimmed off, cut into triangles (not squares - tastes better), sprinkle of salt and pepper, lovely-jubbly. Then

But at top of list has to be cheesecake, eh cheesecake,. Another one is garibaldi bisc uits - they are like squashed biscuits with dead flies in them - yuck.
  • Canny Jock wrote:
    white pudding on the other hand.....!
    its such a shame its practicaly imposible to get hold of in this country...

Black pudding is one of the finest foods known to man. Great with a fry up or for a posher option, with scallops. There is a place called Grazing on Great Tower Street in London (best bacon sandwiches in the City - FACT) that does black pudding and fried egg rolls, absolute magic. They also do haggis :D

[b]White pudding is also great - you get it a lot in Scotland[/b].

A good burger is a great thing, but I'm not a fan of the big burger chains - they use the sweepings left over after the real meat has been used. It just tastes - grey. Quite like the ones at Gourmet Burger Kitchen.

what is white pudding made from - pig spunk?[/u]
  • White pudding is also great - you get it a lot in Scotland

This is no guarantee of quality. You also get midges and cardiac disease a lot in Scotland. Pudding should be black. White is for girls. FACT.
  • i absolutley cannot stand weetabix.
  • Trailradar wrote:
    But at top of list has to be cheesecake, eh cheesecake,. Another one is garibaldi bisc uits - they are like squashed biscuits with dead flies in them - yuck.

I've recently discovered that I like cheesecake... I know this is a bit stupid but I never expected it to actually be cheesy - I presumed that the topping would be really creamy rather than cheesy, but I ate some out of politeness and was pleasantly surprised!

Garibaldi biscuits though... I wonder who actually likes them. They're always the ones left in mixed boxes...
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Trailradar wrote:

I've recently discovered that I like cheesecake... I know this is a bit stupid but I never expected it to actually be cheesy - I presumed that the topping would be really creamy rather than cheesy, but I ate some out of politeness and was pleasantly surprised!

Garibaldi biscuits though... I wonder who actually likes them. They're always the ones left in mixed boxes...

I like Garibaldi.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    for you black pudding lovers here's an idea for you cook some as usual and put to one side.. make some mashed potato (to go with whatever else you're having) break the bp up and stir into the mash... and bam awesome mash

on a different theme also try adding horseradish to mash for more beef type dishes...yum
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    for you black pudding lovers here's an idea for you cook some as usual and put to one side.. make some mashed potato (to go with whatever else you're having) break the bp up and stir into the mash... and bam awesome mash

on a different theme also try adding horseradish to mash for more beef type dishes...yum

Black pudding mash = good plan

I had some black pudding left over, crumbled it up a bit and put it in a cheese toastie with some mushrooms.

nom.
  • Clever Pun
    ohh I like that idea too... mmm
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,376
    Leftover Black Pudding?

No.

Sorry .

You'll have to explain that one.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Clever Pun
    Leftover Black Pudding?

No.

Sorry .

You'll have to explain that one.

buy more than you need for one fry up
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    In a rambo-style headband with a knife gripped between your teeth? Or had the tuna jumped into your boat and started threatening to kick your ars* so you got all 'Kew York' and pulled a blade on it? :P

Ha Ha. How did you know my favoured fishing attire!? Jumped on the boat....it nearly took my arm off before i totally merked it. It had been 'gaffed' hence all the blood.

I was covered in blood by the end of the trip, we arrived back at Montauk and sold the tuna for 300 dollars and then went straight to the local dive bar after not washing for 3 days. I felt like a cave man. The local women flocked :twisted:
  • Sewinman wrote:
    The local women flocked :twisted:

Around the only open window in the bar?
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Trailradar wrote:
    what is white pudding made from - pig spunk?

"The best answer to the question what is a white pudding is really tasty! White pudding is made into tripe skins and ingredients for white pudding usually contain toasted oatmeal, onions, beef suet, spices and seasoning. Some butchers also use pork meat. Generally a white pudding is sausage shaped though the larger haggis shaped white puddings are also common in Scotland though generally called mealie pudding. Very old traditional Scottish recipes for white pudding also used to contain sheep brain matter which was used as a binding agent rather than for its flavour. Vegetarian white pudding is also available from some butchers and shops in Scotland."

Yum, yum, yum. Black and white Pudding, bacon, fried egg, sausage bread fried in dripping. That lot says "Sunday morning" to me as a kid..... as an adult is says coronary disease, diabeties, obesity, conjealed arteries.

Nominated for 101:

Potted Hough
    Scotch Pies - except the very finest ones.
    Fish sticks - why?
    Oysters - giant salty bogies
    Deef fried pies/sausages/mars bars/pizzas - there is just no need
    Seaweed - does the name "weed" not give it away?
    Haribo - too dam addictive!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Sewinman wrote:
    In a rambo-style headband with a knife gripped between your teeth? Or had the tuna jumped into your boat and started threatening to kick your ars* so you got all 'Kew York' and pulled a blade on it? :P

Ha Ha. How did you know my favoured fishing attire!? Jumped on the boat....it nearly took my arm off before i totally merked it. It had been 'gaffed' hence all the blood.

I was covered in blood by the end of the trip, we arrived back at Montauk and sold the tuna for 300 dollars and then went straight to the local dive bar after not washing for 3 days. I felt like a cave man. The local women flocked :twisted:

I have got to say, the whole "kew york" thing was probably my highlight of last years threads. I still cannot see Sewinman's posts without laughing my ass off thinking about it.

back to room 101. Tripe. The food, not an observation on the thread.

Was on holiday in florence with my american brother in law, who was following a pretty unimaginative US based diet, so i went all food snob about how one should try the local specialities. In the restaurant that evening, the special was tripe.......

petard. by. hoisted. own. my. rearrange these words to make a well known phrase or saying.

Actually, I'm 101ing it, not because it was offal, or because it was gross, (although i didn't care much for the texture) but because it was actually really, really boring!!!
  • ham and pineapple pizza

wrong
    wrong
    wrong
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Has anyone mentioned durian yet?

It's so bad you're not allowed to take it in lifts.....
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    pottssteve wrote:
    Has anyone mentioned durian yet?

It's so bad you're not allowed to take it in lifts.....

That's disgsusting. It tasted like garlic or something. I don't think you can take it on plane, can you?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Haribo - too dam addictive!!

I cannot actually believe that you have had the effrontery to nominate Haribo, particularly as you clearly enjoy it.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I cannot actually believe that you have had the effrontery to nominate Haribo, particularly as you clearly enjoy it.

He's taking a catholic line, if it's that good it must be bad.

I had tripe salad in Italy.

It was great - Now I know I started this thread anticipating some obvious contenders to pop up - I wasn't prepared for the "If I look at a piece of fried chicken - I just scream" wetness however.

There needs to be a collective bout of Man The Feck Up About Your Food - ness.

Jaysus.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Sewinman wrote:

:lol::lol:

I had to look up 'merked' in the urban dictionary... I'm just not as gangsta as you, it seems!