Food Room 101

Comments

• Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    cjcp wrote:
    Cockles. And while we're at it, jellied eels. You need help if you eat that stuff.

Why is that? Are they hard to eat? :o
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • I like cockles... never tried jellied eels. I like eel meat, but I don't like jelly, so this is a problem.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I like cockles... never tried jellied eels. I like eel meat, but I don't like jelly, so this is a problem.

you don't need to eat the jelly :wink: ... it tastes like chicken in all honesty, it's nothing special, it does require pepper and vinegar
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    cjcp wrote:
    Cockles. And while we're at it, jellied eels. You need help if you eat that stuff.

+1, if ever a food was wrong its jellied eels, it just looks cold and slimy :shock:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    I like cockles... never tried jellied eels. I like eel meat, but I don't like jelly, so this is a problem.

you don't need to eat the jelly :wink: ... it tastes like chicken in all honesty, it's nothing special, it does require pepper and vinegar

So true of so many so-called exotic meats.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp wrote:

Why is that? Are they hard to eat? :o

Keep slipping out of your hands...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    cjcp wrote:
    Any ideas on where I can go for the requiste assistance? ;)
  • Clever Pun
    Rich158 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

+1, if ever a food was wrong its jellied eels, it just looks cold and slimy :shock:

come on now...If things don't always look that tasty doesn't mean they don't have to be enjoyable, I mean bacon sandwiches held the wrong way or even a kebab that's been badly packed... yet who doesn't like those things?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

come on now...If things don't always look that tasty doesn't mean they don't have to be enjoyable, I mean bacon sandwiches held the wrong way or even a kebab that's been badly packed... yet who doesn't like those things?

:lol:
  • Wallace1492
    Jellied ells - batter them and 5 minutes in a deep fat fryer and they will be sooooo tasty!!
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    oh the Scottish answer to everything, cover it in batter and deep fry it :lol: I think even jellied eels are beyond this, I'd love to see what happens to the jelly when it hits hot oil :shock:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg66 wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Word.

Should've known our resident Human Food Bin has eaten them :lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Wallace1492
    Rich158 wrote:
    oh the Scottish answer to everything, cover it in batter and deep fry it :lol: I think even jellied eels are beyond this, I'd love to see what happens to the jelly when it hits hot oil :shock:

Well, mars bars and ice cream have both been in deep fat fryer and come out in one piece. But to me, I do not like deep fired stuff apart from Pakora....
  • Hershey's chocolate is another that can go in 101, it somehow manages to smell of vomit. Also pretzels in New York, possibly the most disappointing thing I have eaten.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493

Aubergines are kinda wrong but perfectly acceptable in baba ganoush.

or imam byaldi, or moussaka.
    headhunter wrote:
    Also City Miyama near St Paul's is quite good - they have an all you can eat deal on Sat mornings (brunch) for about £30

whaaaaa...? £30 ..for BRUNCH ffs?

This to me just shows the world is going crazy, even more so than eating fish jiz sac....
  • Clever Pun
    edited January 2010
    cjcp wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Word.

Should've known our resident Human Food Bin has eaten them :lol:

:lol: no wait :x

I prefer Zebra....

EDIT: Are you confusing a varied diet with quantity?
    you're older than me I assume and therfore will have eaten more meals... so while you've tucked into your twelvetyth chips n 'fish' fingers I've been trying new things :wink:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

:lol:

glad someone appreciated that
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • It had me chuckling a lot but when I happened to use the phrase last week, it would appear to not be well known in some area's and I had to do a small bit of explaining :D
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Rich158 wrote:

Well, mars bars and ice cream have both been in deep fat fryer and come out in one piece. But to me, I do not like deep fired stuff apart from Pakora....

Me and a mate made hard boiled eggs wrapped in bacon battered and deep fried, lovely. We called em Cannock Eggs.

@artaxerxes, hersheys cannot go into room 101, if no one else wants it I'll have the lot. I agree it does smell of vomit though, but it's soooooo gooooood. I ate a ton of kisses and kissables when I was in America a couple of years ago. Actually I ate a ton of most things.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Roastie wrote:
    I nominate Sushi. Where I come from, we cook fish.
    That's it Wallace - you're added to my sicko list.

I'm with Wallace here. I've eaten sushi in what I am told were pretty decent places in both Tokyo and Osaka and neither I would class as a good experience. First time, in Tokyo, I got a mixed plate, which had some of the passable "Small bits of fish on rice with a squirt of wasabi". Those are fine. They also had some of the things with seaweed round. Those are unpleasant. It also had some raw fish eggs on rice, which are disgusting. I was told after that not even the Japanese people at the table actually eat them. I drew the line at the raw prawn...

Second time, I thought I'd be clever and go for the "small bits of fish on rice with a squirt of wasabi". Mistake. They weren't small bits, and they weren't fish. Turned out I'd picked a dish with huge slabs of squid on top of rice, and no cutting implement.

For those who've never tried eating raw squid, your teeth aren't sharp enough to cut it totally, the best you'll manage is to score it so you can deftly fold it in your mouth and not have to spit the stuff out. You'll look really cool in front of important clients trying to do this.

That said, Japanese food has it's pinnacle with Tempura. Where they take a large number of ingredients in turn, batter them and deep-fry right in front of you. You see, we're not that different.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    artaxerxes wrote:
    Hershey's chocolate is another that can go in 101, it somehow manages to smell of vomit. .

Yes.

Why it is in any way poular is beyond me
  • Clever Pun
    will3 wrote:
    artaxerxes wrote:
    Hershey's chocolate is another that can go in 101, it somehow manages to smell of vomit. .

Yes.

Why it is in any way poular is beyond me

agreed american chocolate is terrible as a whole
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    You people are sick.

How the f*ck can you honestly look at eel and think food. Or if I batter them soak it in lemon this is going to taste nice.

Jaysus t*tty fecking Christ. A rare steak is one thing, rye bread is another and sushi angers me. But jellied eels for f*ck sake. Urgh!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • will3
    But fish is best raw (+fresh or smoked)
    really it is.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Never had jellied eels - there is a stall in Aldgate selling them, might pop down there for lunch tomorrow. Unagi(?) is great stuff though, and I've had some nice poached eel in Belgium as well.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    But fish is best raw (+fresh or smoked)

I love Salmon, I really do but for two exceptions: raw and smoked. I'm not kidding. Disgusting.

I'm going to highlight some cultural issues here.

My often mentioned girlfriend likes to cook what I know consider the "European" way. This is akin to delicately, fragrantly, lightly, gently and for 5mins each side.

This of course is at least 15mins on each side shorter than I like my food to be cooked. Therefore she takes her food out of the oven and leaves mine in. It's not that I like my food cooked a few shades from obilivion, I just liked it cooked right through.

Also its a myth it destroys food, if you cook many meats in a dutch-pot, with the heat down low for several hours you'll often have a very succulent yet cooked right through so now blood piece of meat. Even a steak done that way can deliver both a soft and juicy steak that is also well done.

For me its all about texture, I hate slimy texture of raw or undercooked food.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • will3
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Just try some rare chicken and you'll never think like that again.
  • will3
    will3 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

No, on second thoughts don't :roll:
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    will3 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Without question the most unpleasant thing I have ever eaten...
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    I will eat most things, it's all fuel. I have eaten eels in aspic in a restaurant in Ghent and saurkraut and wurst in rural Bavaria,all edible if not very enjoyable. Tripe is just a waste of effort. Steak? any way it comes, from Bleu to Cuire it is all good.

On the topic of food pretending to be something else, "bacon style beef" a creation of the catering staff of Air Malaysia. Made by people with only a hazy notion of what "bacon" is a Fail of epic proportions. We had it in successive meals on a trip to Oz. Mrs SG felt sick the first time and was sick the second! She didn't actually eat it, the sight and smell was enough. I only ate it the first time, too much of a bad thing.
    The older I get the faster I was