Food Room 101

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Roastie wrote:
    artaxerxes wrote:
    Other things that I'd happily chuck into room 101:
    Celery - pointless vegetable
    Peanut Butter - Suitable for filling holes in walls maybe (like steak tartare :) ), but not for human consumption.
    Disliking steak tartare is one thing, but peanut butter? Come on! You are a sicko.

Wot he sed! :)
  • Nope, peanut butter is icky. Ewww.

Never really tried steak tartare as I don't like eggs.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Nope, peanut butter is icky. Ewww.

+1

In fact most nuts are f*cking disgusting. I have a mild peanut allergy, they make me throw up.

Bleugrhhh.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I love a good bag of nuts - peanuts, Brazils, walnuts, cashews etc. All goooood!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    artaxerxes wrote:
    Peanut Butter - Suitable for filling holes in walls maybe (like steak tartare :) ), but not for human consumption.

Have you tried putting peanut butter on celery... it's a great little snack :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Clever Pun wrote:
    artaxerxes wrote:

Have you tried putting peanut butter on celery... it's a great little snack :lol:

CP - is there anything you *don't* eat?! :lol:

Americans do this. It's weird. They also put chocolate drops on the peanut butter. WTF?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Headhuunter
    cjcp wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    artaxerxes wrote:

CP - is there anything you *don't* eat?! :lol:

Americans do this. It's weird. They also put chocolate drops on the peanut butter. WTF?

Yeah I never get the mix of sweet with peanut butter like the ubiquitous peanut butter and jelly (jam) combo. But then again American peanut butter is generally more ickily sweet, they pack it with sugar (Sun Pat peanut butter is a good example - waaaay too sweet), whereas the stuff in the UK is more savoury/salty.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    I can dig either sweet or savoury peanut butter combos. Peanut butter and jam sarnies are my favourite pre-race snack. I also love cooking with peanut butter - it is wicked with chicken.

ps. That said, US style sweet peanut butter is rubbish.
  • Headhuunter
    Many Chinese/Malaysian restaurants use peanut butter to make their satay sauce, so chicken and peanut butter is not as bizarre as it sounds.
  • il_principe
    Just reading this is making me feel sick.

I once accidentally ate a large mouthful of satay at a birthday* and was promptly violently sick in the closest loo. Which happened to be the ladies, which happened to be rather bust at the time. Edifying, not.

*My 21st actually, can't remember which joker** arranged for the catering.

**Actually it was me. Catering fail.
  • Satay sauce is rank.

I remember many a flight out to oz as a teenager, the nice singapore airlines lady bringing the obligatory chicken satay and getting all flustered when all 3 of us are trying to stop her pouring the gross peanut butter sauce over the perfectly edible chicken sticks.

EDIT: IP you muppet :lol:
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I don't like nay can't stand peanut butter, however I love snickers, satay chicken thingys and reeses peanut butter cups. What's up with that.

I'm with IP most nuts ming, unless they're coated in chocolate.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Satay sauce is rank.

I remember many a flight out to oz as a teenager, the nice singapore airlines lady bringing the obligatory chicken satay and getting all flustered when all 3 of us are trying to stop her pouring the gross peanut butter sauce over the perfectly edible chicken sticks.

EDIT: IP you muppet :lol:

How could you!! Satay is a complete delight. So tasty, spicey and goes so well with chicken and mushroom.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Wallace1492
    I nominate Sushi. Where I come from, we cook fish.

Sushi has become some trendy snack, we must pretend to like it while really hating it.
    No pretence from me, fish should be smoked, fried, baked, poached or barbequed.
  • Ooooh no I love sushi. Mmmmm sushi. Especially mackerel sushi - my homemade stuff with smoked mackerel is just not as good.

However, itsu sushi = ewww.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,376
    I nominate Sushi. Where I come from, we deep fat fry everything.

Fixed that for you.

No charge.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Headhuunter

Sushi has become some trendy snack, we must pretend to like it while really hating it.
    No pretence from me, fish should be smoked, fried, baked, poached or barbequed.

Decent sushi is a delight. Beautiful, subtle flavours. Unfortunately most sushi restaurants in the UK are run by Chinese people who have jumped on the trendy Japanese bandwagon, but have no more idea than your average Yorkshireman how to produce decent sushi.

Usually in the UK we end up with your bog standard salmon, tuna, California roll basic rubbish on a bed of dried out rice. Also available in M&S, Pret a Manger etc. Not particularly good.

For proper sushi try Sushi Hiro in London, Sushi Say in North London. Also City Miyama near St Paul's is quite good - they have an all you can eat deal on Sat mornings (brunch) for about £30. All these places serve a miriad of seasonal fish including things like sea urchin, flying fish roe, smoked eel and various types of flat fish. They even do sushi with British shellfish like razor clam. Deeeeelish....

Best not to go for sushi in London on Sundays though as Billingsgate Market is closed. All the best sushi places in London source their fish from Billingsgate on a daily basis, so on Sunday you'll be eating yesterday's fish.
  • Clever Pun
    Ooooh no I love sushi. Mmmmm sushi. Especially mackerel sushi - my homemade stuff with smoked mackerel is just not as good.

agreed, it's like say burger king for burgers... rank

that might be a little harsh in itsu in fairness

cjcp.. I used to detest mushrooms but I've learned to like them (veggie better half as helped I suspect) there's quite a few things I'm not keen on but will try them in restaurants as sometimes they can be cooked in such a way that's actually nice... for example

Aubergines... as ass of a plant, yet at Dinings (nobu's japanese tapas styled restaurant) they do a bloody great aubergine dish...does my head in.

I was eating roasted horse chesnuts last night..yum
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • I have to say if you're looking for cheap'n'cheerful and not too awful quality takeaway sushi, Moshi Moshi in Liverpool Street is good.

Of the sushi chains, Wasabi is definitely my preferred option.
  • Headhuunter
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Ooooh no I love sushi. Mmmmm sushi. Especially mackerel sushi - my homemade stuff with smoked mackerel is just not as good.

agreed, it's like say burger king for burgers... rank

that might be a little harsh in itsu in fairness

cjcp.. I used to detest mushrooms but I've learned to like them (veggie better half as helped I suspect) there's quite a few things I'm not keen on but will try them in restaurants as sometimes they can be cooked in such a way that's actually nice... for example

Aubergines... as ass of a plant, yet at Dinings (nobu's japanese tapas styled restaurant) they do a bloody great aubergine dish...does my head in.

I was eating roasted horse chesnuts last night..yum

I never really understand people who say they don't like mushrooms - there are so many different types, flavours etc. It's like saying you hate all vegetables or all fruit! I had a mushroom dish over the summer with "Chicken of the Forest". It's a fungus which, when cooked has the consistency and almost the exact flavour of chicken! It's uncanny.

The Japanese cook a lot with aubergine (nasu in Japanese), they make some delicious dishes with them.

I doubt you were eating Horse Chestnuts as they're poisonous! Most likely they were Sweet Chestnuts. Horse Chestnuts = Conkers.... They give you a decent tummy ache if you eat them
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    That's it Wallace - you're added to my sicko list.
  • il_principe

I doubt you were eating Horse Chestnuts as they're poisonous!

You've met CP though, right?
  • Headhuunter

I doubt you were eating Horse Chestnuts as they're poisonous!

You've met CP though, right?

Yes.... I suppose that if anyone were to be able to eat Horse Chestnuts it would be the bearded giant himself...
  • Clever Pun
    I doubt you were eating Horse Chestnuts as they're poisonous! Most likely they were Sweet Chestnuts. Horse Chestnuts = Conkers.... They give you a decent tummy ache if you eat them

:lol: yeah that'll be it
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Aubergines are great but you have to be careful with frying them in oil, they soak it up like a sponge.
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    ^ if you salt them, leave them for an hour then rinse they do soak up a little less oil.

I do love aubergines.

Split aubergines in half, bake with a little oil until very soft (30-40 mins).

Then mix up some peanut butter, grated garlic, grated ginger, soy sauce, chilli sauce and sesame oil.

Spread the mixture onto the aubergine halves and sprinkle on some sesame seeds.

Put under a very hot grill until it's slightly charred. Delicious
  • Wallace1492
    I nominate Sushi. Where I come from, we deep fat fry everything - even our Sushi!!.

Fixed that for you.

No charge.

Cheers!!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Cockles. And while we're at it, jellied eels. You need help if you eat that stuff.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    Was just offered an Oreo cookie.

It was disgusting.
  • cjcp wrote:
    Cockles. And while we're at it, jellied eels. You need help if you eat that stuff.

+1

Euuuuuugh!

Aubergines are kinda wrong but perfectly acceptable in baba ganoush.

Fish is yum raw, cooked or deep fried.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]