Food Room 101

Greg T
Greg T Posts: 3,266
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
The "Alternative to Doughnuts" thread made me think of two things.

1. There is no alternative to Doughnuts.

2. There are many other "Foods" that are rubbish and should be avoided. On the aforementioned Doughnut thread I suggested Bagels were bad food and to be avoided. Rubbery, bland, heavy work and all round rubbish.

Bring out your rubbish food nominations. Prizes for most compelling case.

"Prizes" is a loose term here.
Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?

Comments

• sprouts, broccoli and cucumber. The unholy trinity.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Risotto. Especially Blueberry Rissotto.

What is the point in sticky rice? was this a proper rice dish that just went a wee bit wrong and someone decided to call it Rissotto?

And Blueberries - why in the name of all that is right, would you want to put a perfectly good desert fruit into rissotto?

Please, can we uninvent Rissotto?
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Greg T
    sprouts, broccoli and cucumber. The unholy trinity.

Sprouts and broccoli can be saved through the action of gravy - God's gift to mankind.

I wouldn't cross the road to have one if they were giving them away free however.

Cucumber tastes of water - what's not to like - apart from it being "salad" and not "roast meat"

• Greg T

Who the feck makes you Blueberry rissotto - they must hate you bad. Do they also do you cold fish slurpees?

• Cucumber tastes of water
    I'd get someone round quickish to have a look at the pipes in your house if I were you.

Oh - and sprouts and broccoli can only be saved by the action of high explosive.
  • rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb.

The unholy trinity of fruit.
  • Greg T
    Cucumber tastes of water
    I'd get someone round quickish to have a look at the pipes in your house if I were you.

In fairness after Christmas I can't remember what Water tastes like.

• Wallace1492
    Greg T wrote:

Who the feck makes you Blueberry rissotto - they must hate you bad. Do they also do you cold fish slurpees?

A friend who likes cooking. He also made soup from Pigs Ears (not a success) and insists that me making Lasagne with Chilli Beef is similar to Italy having a stable goverment and good, trustworth politicians - It is a complete abhorance and nauseating to every single Italien citizen.

I did once bring him back cod jerky from Iceland.....
  • Wallace1492
    sprouts, broccoli and cucumber. The unholy trinity.

Sprouts - if cooked properly they are lovely. What Xmas dinner could be without them.

Broccoli - George Bush hated it. What more do you need to know to love it?

Cucumber - peeled, made into small batons, tossed in flour with sesame seeds or breadcrumbs, deep fried for 6 to 8 minutes, drained on a kitchen towel, wrapped in the kitchen towel, soaked liberally in parrafin and thrown on an open fire. Done.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Paella - why would you do it to yourself.....?
  • What Xmas dinner could be without them
    an enjoyable one?
  • Peas.

They are truly droppings from Satan's anus.

Although baked beans would then be haemorrhoids from Satan's anus.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • d21dga
    d21dga Posts: 113
    I like risotto, cucumber and the rest of the suggestions.

My nomination is mushrooms, disgusting things. The smell of them cooking can make me physically gag.
  • I like risotto, cucumber and the rest of the suggestions.

My nomination is mushrooms, disgusting things. The smell of them cooking can make me physically gag.

Heretic! burn them. monty_python_witch-701441.jpg
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    edited January 2010
    In defence of peas, (a well made) pea soup can be wonderful!

Porridge, on the other hand, is Satan's snot!

(edit: in fact, I am inspired to make some pea soup today).
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    cous cous.

so bad they named it twice.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Pork Scratchings - why?
  • d21dga
    d21dga Posts: 113
    Brazil nuts, in fact most nuts. Although I've never tried it I imagine you'd get a similar taste experience by gnawing on a bit of mdf.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb.

The unholy trinity of fruit.

Puddings don't get much better than rhubarb crumble.

Pot Noodles - what is the point. Just get plain noodles, cycle through a muddy puddle a few times, pour the puddle water on the noodles and heat up. Exactly the same as a pot noodle but much cheaper.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    edited January 2010
    I like everything you have mentioned here - may be it's because I come from Spain!

Only things I don’t like (that I have tried) are deep fried mars bars. Oops I forgot, rhubarb is pretty disguting and so is celery and celeriac.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • essexian
    essexian Posts: 187
    At the risk of being shouted at, I would ban all meat and beer.

You don't need either and if you are honest with yourself, neither taste nice; espeically meat, when you consider how it is produced.

Not eaten meat since 1984 and not even a bacon sandwich would make me return to eating dead animal.

Oh, and ban Broad Beans. Nasty, nasty, nasty.

• You don't need either and if you are honest with yourself, neither taste nice; espeically meat, when you consider how it is produced.

what in god's name are you blathering on about? Meat tastes great. Beer tastes great. And you need both. that's a FACT. I'm a scientist and I know about these things.

If god hadn't wanted us to eat meat, he wouldn't have made animals out of it.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    essexian wrote:

You don't need either and if you are honest with yourself, neither taste nice; espeically meat, when you consider how it is produced.

Not eaten meat since 1984 and not even a bacon sandwich would make me return to eating dead animal.

How is meat produced? Of course if you refer to battery-ram chickens I wholly agreed with you but nothing wrong with good quality, locally bred free range or organic meat.

Only reason to eat less meat is because it costs the earth more resources to produce than veggies. A good solution is to eat less sh1ty meat.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    im going for dryed squid on a stick http://www.flickr.com/photos/angrylittleboy/631754452/
    or
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasi_lemak ( remember its anchovies. chillies and rice for breakfast..best served cold.)

every thing else is good..

well chicken feet
    144014667_03e2b93518.jpg
    and
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2149663_cook-fr ... zards.html

can take alot to get down at the best of times..

now for a clasic
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_bra ... cuisine%29

now im off to get my hat and whip then on to raid some lost arks. :wink:
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • Wallace1492
    essexian wrote:

Much better uses for meat:

http://www.meatcards.com/

Actually beef Jerky is a wate of great beef.

Incidentally, is it not true that there is absolutely no meat used whatsover in the production of Bernard Matthews products?
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    essexian wrote:

You don't need either and if you are honest with yourself, neither taste nice; espeically meat, when you consider how it is produced. ...

Sorry, can't agree with you here.

Cow is born (hey, it's already ahead of where it would be if we didn't eat it!) and spends a few months frolicing happily in Perthshire countryside. One day, out of the blue, it gets rounded up with it's mates and loaded onto a truck (unpleasant, but not desperately uncomfortable, only lasts a few hours), and led to some nasty-looking shed.. doesn't like this much, getting a bit stressed and unhappy about it and then Bang! No more cow.
    Cut in half, hang for a month, ship to butcher, chop into manageable pieces, cook and eat- yummy!

Cheers,
    W.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    essexian wrote:
    if you are honest with yourself, neither taste nice; espeically meat, when you consider how it is produced.

Rubbish! Meat tastes fantastic! Especially when cooked with spices, but even on its own. A nice rare steak, barbecued ribs, crispy bacon, lamb curry... Oh, it's truly food fit for gods.

I love meat.

Proud to be a corpse-cruncher. Its manner of production doesn't really make any difference to whether it tastes nice or not. Even low-quality, intensively-farmed meat tastes great.

My foods to get rid of include mussels, cockles, squid, sprouts, tofu and Quorn.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • I can eat most things (if required for politeness purposes) apart from coriander and tripe. Both are vile.

The list of things I'd never choose to eat is rather longer, and most definitely includes sprouts.

Rhubarb is ACE.
    And pork scratchings - oooh - fat AND salt in one handy snack. What's not to like??? LOVE them.
  • Pork Scratchings - why?

+ infinity
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • skins2
    skins2 Posts: 78
    The only foodstuff which I find wrong is raw celery, hence I'm fat.

I will try most things but some are way past tryable:

http://www.thesneeze.com/steve-dont-eat-it/

To the guy who said eating meat is wrong: I bet you've never turned down a blowjob.