Food Room 101

18910111214»

Comments

• Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    [I don't like pork pies. There, I said it. Particularly the mysterious jelly between the pork and the pastry.

Then you've probably never had a proper one (the usual line when someone says they don't like something). A proper Yorkshire pork pie, still warm is heaven. The crap from the supermarkets, stone cold and greasy are awful. They have to be from Yorkshire, though, as the Leicestershire ones have really heavy pastry, which was always meant to be thrown away and just preserve the meat.
    No mystery with the jelly, you just boil some pig's feet for a few hours and pour it in. :D

Nooooooooooo - the only reason to eat a pork pie is that divine hot water crust pastry. Heaven, it's so yummy I eat that and throw the meat away.

Well, I don't, but if i was told I could only eat one part of a pork pie, it'd be the pastry, no doubts about it. :wink:
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Packets of "chopped and shaped" cold meat - you know, the ones made into smiling faces or mickey mouse. They consist of mechanically recovered meat - meaning it is only just above Dog Food in the food chain, so they have to chop it up, colour it, and make it look good to get you to buy if.

The stuff they cant make look good, they put in pies or tins.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • I don't like pork pies. There, I said it.

I can only agree with UndercoverElephant on this one, proper pork pies are a thing of great beauty and you must try a proper one before condemning it to room 101.

+1 for Champagne though, a triumph of marketing over substance £5 worth of wine and £25 quids worth of bubbles it's cr4p!

Eggs! Those rubbery solidified farts should be banished to the deepest level of room 101 at the first available opportunity bleeeuuuugggghh. Eggs are the work of Satan himself.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Packets of "chopped and shaped" cold meat - you know, the ones made into smiling faces or mickey mouse. They consist of mechanically recovered meat - meaning it is only just above Dog Food in the food chain, so they have to chop it up, colour it, and make it look good to get you to buy if.

The stuff they cant make look good, they put in pies or tins.

I think i've read that that stuff is actually below dog food in the food chain - you're not actually allowed to include mechanically recovered meat in dog food.

I don't know if that's true. But that it's even believable tells you all you need to know about that coloured meat stuff. Ugh.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    However, headhuunter, chip shop chips with loads of malt (brown) vinegar = brilliant guilty pleasure. I also like to put vinegar on the bun of cheap burgers. In fact, I just like vinegar.
    Good girl! Could not have said it better myself. You've got me quite tempted to wander up to the good chip shop on Lavender Hill for a steaming packet of vinegar laden chips.
  • I don't like pork pies. There, I said it.

I can only agree with UndercoverElephant on this one, proper pork pies are a thing of great beauty and you must try a proper one before condemning it to room 101.

+1 for Champagne though, a triumph of marketing over substance £5 worth of wine and £25 quids worth of bubbles it's cr4p!

Eggs! Those rubbery solidified farts should be banished to the deepest level of room 101 at the first available opportunity bleeeuuuugggghh. Eggs are the work of Satan himself.

See I'd agree with you on eggs, I really dislike them, but you need eggs to make pastry, cakes, many yummy things.

And the problem with pork pies is that I also don't like the weird pork in them. So unless the ones from wherever have a different consistency altogether, it doesn't bode well.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Wine vs Champagne

I prefer red. I don't get or have the tastes buds of white or champagne and rosé is like alcoholic ribena. I will drink a bottle of rosé to myself. (Yes I'm aware there are different types of wine, different types of within the types I'm keeping it simple. Still I did go to the lengths of spelling rosé with the special é-thingy.

Edit: When I attended my friends wedding at the Temple Church I had a Sémillon that was so beautiful my eyes weatered. But then the sheer wealth and magnitude of that wedding everything was beautiful including the 3hour champagne reception prior to the meal. I don't like champagne but 3hours of the stuff sheesh...

Pork pies are vile.

LiT fillet steak I would have medium, rump and T-bone well done, rib eye medium. medium is as rare as I would go.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • And the problem with pork pies is that I also don't like the weird pork in them. So unless the ones from wherever have a different consistency altogether, it doesn't bode well.

The ones I make have minced pork shoulder mixed with sage from my garden, and seasoned. It's a lot coarser than the usual stuff, as it's from a local breeder of pedigree pigs.

They also have proper, golden hot-water crust pastry, which actually adds to the meat. It's the ones with the huge globs of dark-brown pastry that I can't stand.
  • I've never made pastry with eggs before but I'd be quite willing to forgo cake (bring on the flaming :roll: ) to get rid of the evil that is eggs.
  • Roastie
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    LiT fillet steak I would have medium, rump and T-bone well done, rib eye medium. medium is as rare as I would go.

All I can say is that steak is wasted on you. I feel for the poor cows who have died for your steaks, only to be converted into beef flavoured charcoal. You should be ashamed.
  • Roastie
    I do not understand this anti-egg rubbish. Eggs are yummy, period. If they are horrible, they must be badly prepared. Or you are a sicko.
  • I read somewhere that they throw 'well done' steaks in the fryer, might have been in a book called Kitchen Confidential.
  • Roastie wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

All I can say is that steak is wasted on you. I feel for the poor cows who have died for your steaks, only to be converted into beef flavoured charcoal. You should be ashamed.

Fry it until it just stops mooing and get it on a plate anything longer is qrong
    Roastie wrote:
    Or you are a sicko

I've been called worse :wink:
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Roastie wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Fry it until it just stops mooing and get it on a plate anything longer is qrong
    Roastie wrote:
    Or you are a sicko

Just wipe it's arse and stick it on the plate
  • Roastie
    :o:D

At least we agree on steak - although if it was fresh enough - like straight off the cow - I'd skip the pan stage and just put it straight on the plate. Now that is good. :)

Hmm .. actually - why not just mince it, and then mix it up with some raw egg. Yum yum! ;)
  • Roastie wrote:
    Hmm .. actually - why not just mince it, and then mix it up with some raw egg. Yum yum! ;)

You can't mince steak there are other parts of the cow that can be minced, steak is best as a steak that's why they're called steaks :lol:

I'll refrain from commenting on you mixing meat with chicken ovulations
  • Eggs are yummy, period.

I believe that is why some people don't like eggs.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Roastie wrote:
    I do not understand this anti-egg rubbish. Eggs are a yummy period. If they are horrible, they must be badly prepared. Or you are a sicko.

fixed that for you

Eggs are great, I even have my own chickens

I also agree with you about DDD wasting good steaks :lol:

I'd like to add baked beans to 101 they don't taste all that but mainly cause they make me gag and practically vomit if I eat them... no idea why
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Attica wrote:
    Roastie wrote:
    On the beverage front, I must nominate champagne.

Cheap or expensive, it is all rubbish. The fastest and most expensive way to a colossal headache. Yuk.

I like sparkling white wine but honestly, why is champagne so much more expensive than others? It's generally served so cold you can't taste it properly anyway.

nice sparking white is generally more on the expensive side and more so than some champagnes

wine probably deserves another whole thread :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    artaxerxes wrote:
    I read somewhere that they throw 'well done' steaks in the fryer, might have been in a book called Kitchen Confidential.

love. that. book.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Roastie wrote:
    I do not understand this anti-egg rubbish. Eggs are hen's periods. If they are horrible, they must be badly prepared. Or you are a sicko.

Fixed that for you.....

edit: just realised this is the third post making this joke - must remember to read threads to the end before posting, instead of just hitting "quote" immediately.....