Food Room 101

Comments

• Clever Pun wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    artaxerxes wrote:
    Hershey's chocolate is another that can go in 101, it somehow manages to smell of vomit. .

Yes.

Why it is in any way poular is beyond me

agreed american chocolate is terrible as a whole

+1

Tastes like flour.

And DDD, slow-cooked meat is great, cremated meat less so. You should really get your culinary education moving, there's a whole world out there you're missing out on...
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Clever Pun wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    artaxerxes wrote:
    Hershey's chocolate is another that can go in 101, it somehow manages to smell of vomit. .

Yes.

Why it is in any way poular is beyond me

agreed american chocolate is terrible as a whole

+1

Tastes like flour.

+1

[urban myth?] i think american chocolate has a more waxy consistency, because of the heat? even canadian kit kats taste different to english ones[\urban myth?]
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    will3 wrote:
    But fish is best raw (+fresh or smoked)
    really it is.

Had all sorts of unidentifiable raw fish in a restaurant in Rome last year. It was outstanding, Apart from the swordfish. That made my mouth tingle, so I may be allergic to it. :?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • artaxerxes wrote:
    Hershey's chocolate is another that can go in 101, it somehow manages to smell of vomit. Also pretzels in New York, possibly the most disappointing thing I have eaten.
    I thought it was just me!! Everyone around me raving about those little silver foil wrapper drops of vomit.... they even taste of vomit.....
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689

And DDD, slow-cooked meat is great, cremated meat less so. You should really get your culinary education moving, there's a whole world out there you're missing out on...

I like both, its a skill to get a grilled/burnt/bbq flavour and or texture on the outside and keep the meat soft on the inside. I can do it in a dutch pot - burns the sh*t out of the pot - and it involves using two different cooking styles to complete the effect.

By cremated I mean the outside of the meat, though I'm not a fan of blood.

On steaks, I admit its the cut that will determine how I have it cooked. But in general I don't like anything less than medium (medium depending on the cut).

As for culinary education, I've tried loads of food from around the World its how I know what I like and what I don't. My favourite food isn't either English or Jamiacan. Not every one who has tried likes sushi, sashimi, game, undercooked, bloody or raw meat and fish smoked or otherwise.

I also hate bread with seeds in it, I aint a fecking pigeon.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    (welsh accent) Cockles are great mun! Wrapped up in newspaper and soaked in vinegar, smashin...like.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Tell you what i do hate - that gloopy soup you get from chinese takeaways...consistency of you know what, probably glows in the dark there is so much MSG.
  • Sewinman wrote:
    Tell you what i do hate - that gloopy soup you get from chinese takeaways...consistency of you know what, probably glows in the dark there is so much MSG.

Likes it made from uncooked egg yolks... One of the wrongest things ever conceived.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Sewinman wrote:
    (welsh accent) Cockles are great mun! Wrapped up in newspaper and soaked in vinegar, smashin...like.

I've just thought of a food I don't like. Vinegar. Especially cheap malt vinegar that you get on chips in chip shops. Horrible smelly, acidic stuff. I can just about cope with higher quality vinegars like balsamic
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Headhuunter
    will3 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

For me its all about texture, I hate slimy texture of raw or undercooked food.

Just try some rare chicken and you'll never think like that again.

I've eaten raw chicken in Japan. Also fried up gristle from the end of chicken bones which is served as a delicacy in yakitori restaurants. Very tasty actually, when it's been fried and dipped in sauce it's got a pleasantly crunchy texture.
  • Headhuunter
    PBo wrote:

Aubergines are kinda wrong but perfectly acceptable in baba ganoush.

or imam byaldi, or moussaka.
    headhunter wrote:
    Also City Miyama near St Paul's is quite good - they have an all you can eat deal on Sat mornings (brunch) for about £30

whaaaaa...? £30 ..for BRUNCH ffs?

This to me just shows the world is going crazy, even more so than eating fish jiz sac....

Yeah but it's all you can eat so you can eat enough to last you through into the afternoon and just skip lunch... Good sushi doesn't tend to be cheap. This isn't your M&S pre packed crap.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    PBo wrote:

Aubergines are kinda wrong but perfectly acceptable in baba ganoush.

or imam byaldi, or moussaka.
    headhunter wrote:
    Also City Miyama near St Paul's is quite good - they have an all you can eat deal on Sat mornings (brunch) for about £30

whaaaaa...? £30 ..for BRUNCH ffs?

This to me just shows the world is going crazy, even more so than eating fish jiz sac....

Yeah but it's all you can eat so you can eat enough to last you through into the afternoon and just skip lunch... Good sushi doesn't tend to be cheap. This isn't your M&S pre packed crap.

ah so it's that place, I heard about this from a japanophile (so to speak) £30 is very easy to rack up on sushi...mmm sushi

DDD charred on the outside soft on the inside.... very high heat short time.. bam perfect steak
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DonDaddyD
    DDD charred on the outside soft on the inside.... very high heat short time.. bam perfect steak

Yep. True of other meat as well. There was one time I wanted some chicken like this but they had to also go in a sauce/broth/'gravy type thing. Did the chicken then added the sauce, love that charred outside taste.
    I've eaten raw chicken in Japan. Also fried up gristle from the end of chicken bones which is served as a delicacy in yakitori restaurants. Very tasty actually, when it's been fried and dipped in sauce it's got a pleasantly crunchy texture.

Raw chicken would kill me.

Gristle is the bollow, whether on a chicken bone, rib or any kind of joint. Sinking my teenth through gristle is like a test of strength. I love it. I also used to eat the marrow from some bones but I think it may be a culture thing... Like leaving the fish head on a fried fish - though I won't be able to touch the fish if it has its head still on = my Uncle used to chase me around the house with a raw fish head and that fear has stuck with me.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Headhuunter
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Yep. True of other meat as well. There was one time I wanted some chicken like this but they had to also go in a sauce/broth/'gravy type thing. Did the chicken then added the sauce, love that charred outside taste.

Raw chicken would kill me.

Gristle is the bollow, whether on a chicken bone, rib or any kind of joint. Sinking my teenth through gristle is like a test of strength. I love it. I also used to eat the marrow from some bones but I think it may be a culture thing... Like leaving the fish head on a fried fish - though I won't be able to touch the fish if it has its head still on = my Uncle used to chase me around the house with a raw fish head and that fear has stuck with me.

Yes I eat the marrow out of bones and the gristle off the end of roast chicken bones even now. I worked at a couple of Chinese restaurants when I was a student and used to eat lunch or dinner with the owners depending on when I was working. We often had fish and the head was always on. My Chinese co-workers would happily eat everything off the head itself, including having a good old suck on the eyeballs, although I was told never to chew on the eyes as there is a small white bit in the middle which shouldn't be eaten, so you have to carefully remove that apparently. Nothing was left to waste apart from the bones and gills etc
  • Clever Pun
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Didn't you get squeamish about bone marrow salad earlier in this thread??
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    Clever Pun wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Didn't you get squeamish about bone marrow salad earlier in this thread??

Yep, used to eat bone marrow when I was a nipper and could regenerate broken limbs. These days if marrow even looks at me wrong I'm struck down with food poisoning. I assume the bone marrow in the salad isn't cooked like how you guys like steak, which is raw in my books.
    My Chinese co-workers would happily eat everything off the head itself, including having a good old suck on the eyeballs, although I was told never to chew on the eyes as there is a small white bit in the middle which shouldn't be eaten, so you have to carefully remove that apparently. Nothing was left to waste apart from the bones and gills etc

They sound Jamaican... lol. My Dad loves the eyeballs and brain on a fried fish. Its where all the seasoning congeals and apparently is really flavoursome.

Never tried, won't tried. Not for me.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Honest to God, this thread is a Vegetarian no-go zone.The kind of crap you lot put in your gob.... :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Celery (and things tasting of celery), Molusks
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    My Chinese co-workers would happily eat everything off the head itself, including having a good old suck on the eyeballs, although I was told never to chew on the eyes as there is a small white bit in the middle which shouldn't be eaten, so you have to carefully remove that apparently. Nothing was left to waste apart from the bones and gills etc
    Rubbish! ;) I've always eaten the small white bit in the middle of the eye - you can eat it with no ill effect, just it is very chewy and doesn't taste that good.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Can I nominate "Lady Grey" tea.

It serves no purpose other than to make me gag
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Clever Pun
    Attica wrote:
    Can I nominate "Lady Grey" tea.

It serves no purpose other than to make me gag

Clue's in the name there isn't it?

burds tea
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Okay 21 year vegetarian and i *have* to nominate Soya Milk.

WTF? The stuff tastes like wet cardboard, it also has the consistency of wet cardboard, LOOKS like wet cardbo.... wait a minute.... :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Clever Pun
    Okay 21 year vegetarian and i *have* to nominate Soya Milk.

WTF? The stuff tastes like wet cardboard, it also has the consistency of wet cardboard, LOOKS like wet cardbo.... wait a minute.... :shock:

+1 white abomination that stuff
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    On the beverage front, I must nominate champagne.

Cheap or expensive, it is all rubbish. The fastest and most expensive way to a colossal headache. Yuk.
  • DonDaddyD
    Roastie wrote:

Cheap or expensive, it is all rubbish. The fastest and most expensive way to a colossal headache. Yuk.

I agree with this. Champagne is something I think I should like, because its what posh people and rappers drink, but is in actual fact horrible.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Sewinman wrote:

Ugh, god yes, that's horrendous stuff. My brother went out for a takeaway a few days ago, I asked for wonton soup, y'know, watery broth with wontons in it, and he brought back chicken and sweetcorn soup. Bleurgh.

DDD, meat charred on the outside and rare on the inside is perfect, however, steak medium is (in my book) nigh on sacreligious! Would you have a fillet steak medium?

I don't like pork pies. There, I said it. Particularly the mysterious jelly between the pork and the pastry.

However, headhuunter, chip shop chips with loads of malt (brown) vinegar = brilliant guilty pleasure. I also like to put vinegar on the bun of cheap burgers. In fact, I just like vinegar.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    Roastie wrote:

I agree with this. Champagne is something I think I should like, because its what posh people and rappers drink, but is in actual fact horrible.

I don't find it unpleasant to drink, but my word it gives me a dreadful stomachache. As does all white wine, actually.
  • [I don't like pork pies. There, I said it. Particularly the mysterious jelly between the pork and the pastry.

Then you've probably never had a proper one (the usual line when someone says they don't like something). A proper Yorkshire pork pie, still warm is heaven. The crap from the supermarkets, stone cold and greasy are awful. They have to be from Yorkshire, though, as the Leicestershire ones have really heavy pastry, which was always meant to be thrown away and just preserve the meat.

No mystery with the jelly, you just boil some pig's feet for a few hours and pour it in. :D
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Roastie wrote:

I like sparkling white wine but honestly, why is champagne so much more expensive than others? It's generally served so cold you can't taste it properly anyway.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Honest to God, this thread is a Vegetarian no-go zone.The kind of crap you lot put in your gob.... :shock:

No no, Vegetarianism is a NO GO ZONE. F*cking mental, a life with no steak, no slow roast lamb etc etc... makes me depressed just thinking about it.