London Calling

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Might just try go Swinley instead as I haven't been there yet, are the fun trails easy to find there?

Not really, some are, but much easier if you have someone who knows the place.

I know it reasonably well, I think DK knows it as well. How about we plan to meet there tomorrow, maybe 10 or 11 ish? I normally just follow Damon around as usual (he's not here this weekend though), but it's a fairly small area, so I can blunder onto most bits, and not too bad if we have to ride round in a few circles.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bungalistic
    bungalistic Posts: 543
    Ok i'll try swinley tomorrow then, should take me just over an hour to get there (traffic depending) Do you just park in the forestry car park? I'll try be there for 10am.
  • cooldad
    Ok i'll try swinley tomorrow then, should take me just over an hour to get there (traffic depending) Do you just park in the forestry car park? I'll try be there for 10am.

you want to be here

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc ... 3&t=h&z=18

Car park is basically where it says The Look Out Discovery centre on the map. Big car park, and gets very busy, so probably easiest to meet at the entrance to the rides, next to the Go Ape - you'll find it easily enough when you get there.

See you at 10ish.

DK you want to meet us there?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Swinley is least climbing but does offer a lot of playground areas. Labyrinth(4trails), Surrey hills x-both sides of hills (aka downhill trails), Tank traps, Seagul, Jump querry, and other couple of new bits we've found with Dkenny, so yeah ... hills aren't big so not much of climbing, a bit flat in some places but still there is stuff to ride, albeit not as long as in SH*.

Would have to say its second best to Surrey hills, but for relaxing and fun ride its a good place. Could be very busy during weekends though. Hope Dkeeny joins you lot and shows some business!
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • bungalistic
    bungalistic Posts: 543
    I'll wait around Go-Ape at 10 then :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Apologies. Haven't been able to get out yet, and still got stuff to sort out. Might try and get out after lunch, but will have missed you guys by then. I might go over to Tunnel Hill for a change, unless anyone's out at SH (or Swinley) around that time.

P.S. A bit late but this thread has some good Swinley maps:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12684311
  • JonniOne
    JonniOne Posts: 25
    Ah sorry I didnt't post something earlier. Went out last minute last night and had a bit too much dizzy water and probably not in the best condition to do anything that will probably hurt me lol.
    Have a good ride though, the forecast was predicted to be sunny :(
    4 Wheels move the body, 2 Wheels move the soul

Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
  • Anonymous
    Change of plan. Arranged to meet up with Cooldad in Swinley as they're still there and need a guide, so will be there from around 12:45.
  • popstar
    I understand that Dkenny and not only him for some reason are busy or unable to ride, maybe able but not as much as wanted to. Hope to pull it off coming weekend but it would have to be the late one (finishing work at 15.00).

Now, Dkenny ... where are the photos? Would like to see how your other camera makes them ... bet after your editing there won't be much diffenrence?

If people are happy to organise and join group rides after lunch* I most probably would be up for it. And hopefully the week after ... the trip to SWales?! I may sound very selfish but my steed cries to be ridden somewhere decent of its breed. Yea baby! Hope to hit Afan and ride Wall-combined with Whites* !!! Now, only need 1 rider to make it happen to SWales ... surely the rest will awake from their boredom and join us :!: . That's the way baby, aha.

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • Anonymous
    Photos. Yeah, forgot. Nothing special and can't get them as glossy with deep blue skies as with the big camera. Didn't take many anyway.

Standing around
    4702845304_f13f3f0908.jpg

More standing around
    4702211767_283d44b1c8.jpg

Relax
    4702846094_e6da4c4b30.jpg

Managed to miss bungalistic going over. Caught this guy though
    4702212699_5469dacdb7.jpg

Starting off at top of the downhill
    4702846700_fde54da413.jpg

Should be up for Surrey Hills next weekend. I'll be able to make an early start also :D. Wales, just need enough people to share the costs. Weekend after next I can probably do, weekend after that I can't.
  • popstar
    Relax photo is cute, wonder ... is that guy dead after climbing*?

• cooldad
    Fun ride today. Thanks to DK learnt some new bits didn't even know that whole area existed - Seagull and Corkscrew.
    Even did seagull backwards - uphill in memory of Popstar.

Starting to plan SH next Sunday now.

10am, Walking Bottom unless someone has a better idea.

Be there.

(Dead people welcome as well)
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    popstar wrote:
    Relax photo is cute, wonder ... is that guy dead after climbing*?

You mean Plaisir? :P

Should be fixed by next weekend. Might even sneak a midweek swinley in just to test the ribs. I reckon a quick loop shouldn't take more than an hour.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    cooldad wrote:
    Fun ride today. Thanks to DK learnt some new bits didn't even know that whole area existed - Seagull and Corkscrew.
    Even did seagull backwards - uphill in memory of Popstar.

Starting to plan SH next Sunday now.

10am, Walking Bottom unless someone has a better idea.

Be there.

(Dead people welcome as well)

Yay, now I can bring this guy
    skeleton-cyclist.jpg
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • supra-man
    supra-man Posts: 358
    Thanks for the pics DK next time Ill sacrifice my self for taking pics. around the table tops and the berms.

so Popstar any luck with the film?? or is your computer still on strike like a frenchy in a train station??
    specialized enduro 06 gone snif
    RS Lyrik U-turn sold
    Mondraker Dune XR

My Megavalanche qualifier : http://vimeo.com/15094020
  • popstar
    My PC isn't fixed yet, think Plaisir will try to strike it with hammer to mend it. Something gone wrong with Windows since last auto-update ... some files went missing and simply can't start PC.

Cooldad, before you know ... you will start to like climbs! For you I am sure they will be dressed up as the only reason to ride. Did Dkenny take you to the place of newish trails based closer to the Bridge** they are quite techy and require not only climbing skill but some -cojones- to clear some mini-climbs too!

This Friday late lunch* I am taking my collegue to ride in Swinley, hopefully I will get some mileage into him. Don't know how will I ride in SH this Wednesday with local chap after such a long break ... think he will laugh at me struggling uphills. God bless me, and wish me a good luck! Ta.

• metalmonkey
    metalmonkey Posts: 144
    Is anyone about this w/end and the following Monday and Tuesday? I'm off work those days and no real plans, so would be up for going for a ride...

I even cycled part of way to work today which was great :D
  • metalmonkey
    metalmonkey Posts: 144
    popstar wrote:
    My PC isn't fixed yet, think Plaisir will try to strike it with hammer to mend it. Something gone wrong with Windows since last auto-update ... some files went missing and simply can't start PC.

Cooldad, before you know ... you will start to like climbs! For you I am sure they will be dressed up as the only reason to ride. Did Dkenny take you to the place of newish trails based closer to the Bridge** they are quite techy and require not only climbing skill but some -cojones- to clear some mini-climbs too!

This Friday late lunch* I am taking my collegue to ride in Swinley, hopefully I will get some mileage into him. Don't know how will I ride in SH this Wednesday with local chap after such a long break ... think he will laugh at me struggling uphills. God bless me, and wish me a good luck! Ta.

As for the PC I would either stick in the system disk if you have one or reinstall windows but be aware this will erase date, I would stick the hard disk into another PC to dump the files on it you want to keep then fresh install thats how I sorted my computer. If you need a hand your not far from me it will just need a few hours to install and tranfer data. unless anyone has a better suggestion...
  • Anonymous
    Can pick up from where I left off :D. It did boot when I tried it, but something else must be up.

I seriously don't have the time to investigate PCs at the moment. Not this week at least, and job situation is changing over the next couple of weeks and everything's getting hectic.

Still, other thought is to try the "last known good" boot option, or safe mode, and if you can get it to boot into safe mode or something then try restoring a recovery point, or if you have a recovery disc try that. Otherwise, yeah it's copy off onto another disc, reinstall etc. Pain of a task though.

Anyway, similar situation now as my laptop has just died thanks to me trying to update the bios and I killed it. I'm better messing with software than hardware :). If it aint broke, don't fix it :D.
  • supra-man
    edited June 2010
    deadkenny wrote:
    Can pick up from where I left off :D. It did boot when I tried it, but something else must be up.

I seriously don't have the time to investigate PCs at the moment. Not this week at least, and job situation is changing over the next couple of weeks and everything's getting hectic.

Still, other thought is to try the "last known good" boot option, or safe mode, and if you can get it to boot into safe mode or something then try restoring a recovery point, or if you have a recovery disc try that. Otherwise, yeah it's copy off onto another disc, reinstall etc. Pain of a task though.

Anyway, similar situation now as my laptop has just died thanks to me trying to update the bios and I killed it. I'm better messing with software than hardware :). If it aint broke, don't fix it :D.

see popstart safe mode is the way to go ... DK i sugested exactly the same this afternoon safe mode then restore. as for hard drive putting it in an othe machine or simpler in the box of an external hard drive so you just need the usb to plug it any where..... should be less work
    RS Lyrik U-turn sold
    Mondraker Dune XR

• Plaisir
    Plaisir Posts: 83
    I've got pc at the moment, using a 3rd party PE build to try and fix sectors + replace a missing boot file because his microsoft system restore is a little buggered by a dual windows installation (or at least a dead recovery partition from the original install). I will try and get it booted, back the disk up and then reinstall windows properly, deleting the old recovery partition and windows install if its still there. Haven't actually had a delve into the drive yet to see what I'm working with I'm running some stuff overnight first. Looks like his HDD is fine though so thats good.

Anyone else around wed early morning? we are riding SH from 8-11 AM, got room for one more if anyone fancies. Hope you are all well!
    2009 Marin Wolf Ridge 6.9
  • Plaisir
    Plaisir Posts: 83
    Scrap that, his HD is on the way out, woke up this morning having run BartPE checkdisk, said it fixed some stuff but then got a SMART warning message on reboot. good call Dkenny! Popstar - the next move is to try and recover your data if I can by putting the HD either in an external enclosure and backing it up to my laptop or installing a new HD in your PC. I happen to have a couple of spares I think, I will have a poke around later. I can't remember how old you said your PC was but I know some HD manufacturers have decent warranties so we will have a look.
    2009 Marin Wolf Ridge 6.9
  • supra-man
    Give it a try, after 5 HD crash (counter strike gamer days), i ve only had one taken under warranty... but they also managed to get all data back.

good luck with that :wink:
    RS Lyrik U-turn sold
    Mondraker Dune XR

• Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Disks are usually classed as consumables so the only usual chance is taking the whole PC back to the shop. If you've had the case open, a lot of shops won't touch it.
  • popstar
    Looks like its a 2nd HD going into a bin. 1st was changed under warranty, but anyway ...

Anyone wants to join us this Early wednsday? Think as all week has been dusty dry, with some local we going explore Leith area a bit more. Keep drooling over grip and northshore style jumps ... aggresive XC all the way!

Metalmonkey ... think this weekend, there is a big group ride forming. This friday, I am taking a collegue from work to build miles in swinley forest, he lives somewhere around you too. But then, all rides I could do are only after lunch ... as I have shifts from 4.00-14.00 , think I will miss some of weekend group rides for that matter, or if there are late starters could team up with them.

Dkenny, wish you all the best in organising/sorting your business ... you mentioned that 3-4 July you able to squeeze SWales trip? Well at least thats the plan for that date.

• Anonymous
    Little chance of me getting out during the week, but this weekend should be free all weekend at last. It's looking good for a group ride. Is the weather still supposed to be good?

3-4 July is good for Wales so far, it's just the weekend after I can't do. Still need to do some fixing up on the bike before then.

And yeah, it's dusty dry out there, or at least Swinley has finally dried out. They're starting to do some maintenance on the fire roads and I guess they might do some on the singletrack too.
  • popstar
    Just a thought to riders who wanted to get -skills course- ... plz raise your hands, maybe could conjure up something. Looking to do first inexpensive course with 4-6riders then after that go full bonkers with jumps '' n ' drop offs ... and maybe a little more free-ride stuff. Hope bike will hold up to it, otherwise will be on haunt of Spicy this time.

• *hand raised
  • supra-man
    im in for a skills course if it happens when I am back...

Hunting for a spicy already.... :? I give you an other 3 or 4 months before you want a froggy.... better build up some serious muscle power to haul that one around.... and on climbs.
    RS Lyrik U-turn sold
    Mondraker Dune XR

• Anonymous
    I'd be up for some skills (or is that skillz :D).

If it's a weekday I'll need a bit of notice, though not sure on the work situation yet.