Went back home to the lakes this weekend, here's a view from the top:
    grisedale01.jpg

Anyone up for Aston Hill this weekend?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Went back home to the lakes this weekend, here's a view from the top:
    grisedale01.jpg

Anyone up for Aston Hill this weekend?

Nice - makes a change from all the trees we are normally avoiding - up there you just have to worry about riding off the edge.

I'm doubtful this weekend. Need to try and fix my wheel (all Popstars fault) or I'll have to replace it so depends how I do Saturday.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supra-man
    supra-man Posts: 358
    With out me this weekend, slowly upgrading new bits, and i have london to brighton charity ride on sunday. ( starting to regeret this seeing all the great riders i know taking part , I imagine it like M25 of friday evening...)

next weekend good for me, then the alps.... I'm not ready at all and feel more worried than last year.... guess knowing whats waiting for me, is'nt all that good
    specialized enduro 06 gone snif
    RS Lyrik U-turn sold
    Mondraker Dune XR

My Megavalanche qualifier : http://vimeo.com/15094020
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    As I do lateshifts, will visit SH early Saturday morning. Don't want to ask people to wake up early so most probably will ride alone. Recently got an offer from local chap who offered our group some thorough tour of area, hopefully will team up with him soon.

As far as it stands, Winterfold,Pitch and Holmbury are explored ... only Leith and Redlands deserve more attention.

Looking into 1day epics to ride all 5hills, who's up for challenge?
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • cooldad
    popstar wrote:
    As I do lateshifts, will visit SH early Saturday morning. Don't want to ask people to wake up early so most probably will ride alone. Recently got an offer from local chap who offered our group some thorough tour of area, hopefully will team up with him soon.

As far as it stands, Winterfold,Pitch and Holmbury are explored ... only Leith and Redlands deserve more attention.

Only 5? No worries.

Start planning.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • popstar
    I will try to make least climbing routes with help of Atz of course. At least that would be experience of Trail-Center like* !

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • JonniOne
    JonniOne Posts: 25
    I was planning to go for a ride in SH on saturday aswel, how early is your early? My friend wanted to go SH so I said I'll go with him and then Aston on Sunday.
    4 Wheels move the body, 2 Wheels move the soul

Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
  • gregsd
    gregsd Posts: 328
    popstar wrote:
    ...As far as it stands, Winterfold,Pitch and Holmbury are explored ... only Leith and Redlands deserve more attention.

Don't forget there is stuff on the North Downs as well! So, once you done Leith/Redlands you can drop down to Westcott and then climb up the North Downs; 6 hills. :wink:
  • Helter
    Helter Posts: 137
    popstar wrote:
    ... luckily Helter-Bungalistic-Plaisir combo* made it home in one piece that day.

The massive bruises on my thighs beg to differ, the top tube did a proper number on me!!

Saturday's going to be a late start me thinks after the football so Aston Hill on Sunday?
    Charge Duster (RIP)
    Ragley mmmBop
  • popstar
    Just before any talks about group rides happen, thanks to Supra-Man and courtesy of his being a well mannered and dressed Frenchman may I share this Little Video. That was his little present which cheered me up, I want to ride now! Immidiately! :shock: :!:

• Plaisir
    Plaisir Posts: 83
    Working all this week apart from Sunday, so could do something then, although not all day because it's father's day and my brother is coming home to do something. What you guys up to?
    2009 Marin Wolf Ridge 6.9
  • bungalistic
    bungalistic Posts: 543
    I'm free sunday all day, was thinking about going to Aston Hill see what it was like, depends on what others are doing I guess though. I'm fine with the usual morning start of around 9am wherever we go.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Been busy at the moment. Saturday is no go, but Sunday is a maybe. Got so much stuff to sort out though.
  • popstar
    Myself can't make it this weekend, will do lonely ride Tuesday-Wednesday ... hope to team up with some local who's gonna show me mind-blowing trails around Leith hill area.

• Definitely can't do Saturday but may be able to make Sunday. Will know in the next day or two.
  • Helter
    Helter Posts: 137
    How's Sunday looking? Aston adventure at 9?
    Charge Duster (RIP)
    Ragley mmmBop
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Not for me. Ribs are still tender (breathing is fine, sneezing is like being stabbed in the chest) so if I do anything it's going to be gentle.
  • cooldad
    If anyone's going to do SH on Sunday post when and where. I'll make it if my bike's fixed.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bungalistic
    If anyone is up for Aston i'm happy to go with, info on it is here: http://www.rideastonhill.co.uk/ It costs £7 per day to ride there.

I'm happy enough going to SH if people want to wait for a better day when more ppl want to do a DH styled day at Aston. Whichever place shall we say meet at 9am, we'll decide on car park once we know the actual location of ride.

Sound ok?
  • JonniOne
    JonniOne Posts: 25
    cooldad wrote:
    If anyone's going to do SH on Sunday post when and where. I'll make it if my bike's fixed.
    How is the rim looking btw cool? Have you managed to fix it ok?
    If anyone is up for Aston i'm happy to go with, info on it is here: http://www.rideastonhill.co.uk/ It costs £7 per day to ride there.
    I'm happy enough going to SH if people want to wait for a better day when more ppl want to do a DH styled day at Aston. Whichever place shall we say meet at 9am, we'll decide on car park once we know the actual location of ride

I am up for either also, need to abuse my body a bit. Been sitting in office munching bicuits all week....naughty.
    4 Wheels move the body, 2 Wheels move the soul

Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
  • cooldad
    Going to attack it with a hammer tomorrow. If that doesn't work will have to buy one.
    Hope it works, then I should be fine for Sunday.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bungalistic
    Anything happening tomorrow, who's out and where you thinking of going?
  • cooldad
    Got stuck into my rim with a hammer and a pair of vice grips. Better but not perfect. Will have to try it out on some rough stuff and see if it collapses.

But also having shifting problems after dérailleur got a bit graunched last week as well.
    Ended up changing cables etc, but still not right - hope nothings bent.

Got fed up with fiddling, so am planning to strip everything down tomorrow, clean lube, readjust and hope for the best.

So to cut a long story short, I'm out for tomorrow, how about we get a proper plan going for SH next Sunday.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ammacorider
    ammacorider Posts: 36
    edited September 2010
    i only ride about locally to keep fit.
    PROUD AMMACO MATTERHORN OWNER SINCE 2009
  • supra-man
    supra-man Posts: 358
    Sorry Guys with out me probably till mid july, or I might try and get out for a quick ride next sunday, if ive finished putting all parts together..

In the mean time as there is no vid section, here is a little vid for Popstar to show him a pure and real rider, and inspiration for bungalistic....

following guy lines up at the mega avalanche qualifier on a hard tail and single speed....
    finishes 92.. good to see him push big dh bikes on the berms in the second part.. 8)

http://vimeo.com/6279594
    specialized enduro 06 gone snif
    RS Lyrik U-turn sold
    Mondraker Dune XR

My Megavalanche qualifier : http://vimeo.com/15094020
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Got things to do but will try and force myself out tomorrow. Not likely to be 9am though.
  • cooldad
    Awesome video. I think he needed some Popstar like captions - mainly 'go go go' everytime he came up behind people on the technical bits.

DK I wouldn't mind getting out for a bit, few hours maybe - not too early though - if you do get moving late morning/early afternoon maybe give me call and I'll try. Either SH or Swinley? pm'd my no.

Bungalistic - want to try make it - bit of a trip for you though for a vague ride? Had a look at Aston, but too intense for me I think (and my bike)

Jonnione - you still awake? Not very organised, but if you get this pm me your number and I'll call you if anything happens.

Atz - any ride with me is gentle - how are the ribs?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Basically managed to tear or pull most of the intercostal muscles down the right hand side of my chest where I hit the 2nd of the two trees I bounced off. Problem is with pulling any weight on my right arm so proper riding is out for prob one more week.

In any case, probably need to fix the bike before I go out again anyway. It's been sitting in the dining room in bits for a week now.
  • bungalistic
    Might just try go Swinley instead as I haven't been there yet, are the fun trails easy to find there?
  • cooldad
    Atz wrote:
    Basically managed to tear or pull most of the intercostal muscles down the right hand side of my chest where I hit the 2nd of the two trees I bounced off. Problem is with pulling any weight on my right arm so proper riding is out for prob one more week.

In any case, probably need to fix the bike before I go out again anyway. It's been sitting in the dining room in bits for a week now.

Ouch - get mended and let's try and plan for next weekend then - ribs are a bummer. I've broken enough - even breathing hurts, let alone anything else.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools