London Calling

Comments

• thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Still not sure, is there any way we could get another person+bike in the car cause one of my friends wants to join too, maybe wheels off and in the back with a blanket down?
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Could get a bike or person on the back seat, but don't think both.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • thel33ter
    I meant sideways, with him on the other side

like this

4689214256_bc5235fdf3.jpg
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • cooldad
    If he's a midget with a mini bike maybe. Never fit a bike in that way - takes the entire width of the back seat, with the wheels off.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    I'll try think of something - what bike is it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supra-man
    supra-man Posts: 358
    unfortunately i cant make this weekend. it will have to be next one. and my elbows are still ruined from cwm carn :lol:
    specialized enduro 06 gone snif
    RS Lyrik U-turn sold
    Mondraker Dune XR

My Megavalanche qualifier : http://vimeo.com/15094020
  • Plaisir
    Plaisir Posts: 83
    I should be around this weekend. Been partying it up in Brighton this week hence the silence :D Let me know the plan, SH sounds good though...
    2009 Marin Wolf Ridge 6.9
  • thel33ter
    It's a smallish specialized hardrock, it will fit quite easily
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Hello, hope you guys get more fresh riders on board ... as old ones are rattling in pain after Cwmcarn. Had a busy week, and still working this weekend. Tried to conjure up some videos, and my PC got broken again...some kind of weird windows system configuration failure* ... so no vidz before it gets fixed.

On a positive note, Dkenny's faceplant looked rather violent. My wife was so worried about his face, had to reassure her ... we are MEN. Never mind my broken seat-rails, or Atz's ribs and fingers, Supraman had some Supracrash too ... luckily Helter-Bungalistic-Plaisir combo* made it home in one piece that day.

Will try to put some miles this Monday-Tuesday, especially as last time with Dkenny we have found some new trails in Swinley.

But for now, can only squeeze some tennis sessions in the evenings.
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • popstar
    JonniOne wrote:
    Hi guys, are you heading to SH this weekend? Would you mind if I tagged along, it would be nice to have a ride with more experienced riders.

If you wouldn't mind a novice riding with you that is :)

Where about in London do you live?

I wouldn't say there are some experienced or serious riders in a group really, more of a lousy crowd with plenty of cheers if a crash takes place.

Surprisingly many new riders like to start in Swinley Forest (if route chosen carefully, it could be as easy as a canal towpath ride, with a little challenge here and there thrown inn), as then Surrey Hills gives a better step forward. Not saying you shouldn't start in SH though, it's a nice place to ride and there is little more climbing to do than in Swinley ... but that's another little story, /Popstar hides from -No more climbs* crowd- !

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • popstar
    cooldad wrote:
    Plaisir, Popstar and Supra-man have been very quiet this week, where are you guys?
    Sunday?

ATZ is in pain, so excused - bet you wished you'd stuck to knitting like me.

Think ATZ is bathing in memories and glorious crashes, the man is real stuntman...God bless Full-face helmets, if not them we would have some casualties. Supraman, Atz wish you a speedy recovery and hope to hit trails together soon!

• Stan Leigh
    Stan Leigh Posts: 168
    Evening / Morning Gents ,

Interested in Surrey Hills Sunday morning if anybodies out . Where will you meet up if your out ( post code or something i can find on google maps )

What sort of distance / time are you likely to do ?

Cheers Stan :wink:
  • thel33ter
    We normally meet at walking bottom or leith hill youth hostel. They both come up in google maps if you type that in. Last few rides have been around 3-4 hours, most of that standing around. There was an 8 hour epic a while ago too.
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    popstar wrote:
    Tried to conjure up some videos, and my PC got broken again...some kind of weird windows system configuration failure* ... so no vidz before it gets fixed.
    Hmm weird. Couldn't see anything wrong with it when I had a look, other than some disc errors that I fixed. Maybe the hard disc is on the way out?
    On a positive note, Dkenny's faceplant looked rather violent. My wife was so worried about his face, had to reassure her ... we are MEN. Never mind my broken seat-rails, or Atz's ribs and fingers, Supraman had some Supracrash too ... luckily Helter-Bungalistic-Plaisir combo* made it home in one piece that day.
    Face healed up fine. Was just a scratch really :D. Think I might invest in a full face for more adventurous DH stuff, but then that wasn't even the DH section! Looking forward to the video :D. Reminds me, got a few photos to upload too.

Anyway Sunday Surrey Hills is on for me. Walking Bottom maybe? What sort of time?
  • supra-man
    supra-man Posts: 358
    Have a good ride guys tomorrow. DK a FF helmet just offers that much more protection as you have seen.

We talked a while back of the film Follow me from anthill . I'd advise to see it, especialy the last section with Gee and steve smith in new zealand.. probably the best footage Ive ever seen .
    specialized enduro 06 gone snif
    RS Lyrik U-turn sold
    Mondraker Dune XR

My Megavalanche qualifier : http://vimeo.com/15094020
  • cooldad
    Walking Bottom around 10ish?
    Thel33ter wants to bring a friend but not sure how to carry 3 bikes, so maybe give me a few minutes allowance if not there on the dot.

@Stan Leigh and JonniOne and Fafreddiecat Walking Bottom car park is here:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=walking ... CBoQ8gEwAA

Get to Peaslake, with your back to the little shop with excellent rolls and amazing cheese straw smell head just out past the bike shop, past Hurtwood Inn and carpark is about 50m on the left.

Time distance etc we just do what we want on the day, at whatever speed we can all manage. Ride is for fun, and crashing is optional, although some are more proficient at that than others.

DK has a red Honda, I have an old BM with roof rack.

See you tomorrow.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Stan Leigh
    Sounds marvelous , mind if i pop along ?

I'll be in a tatty old purple honda , with a white Trek hardtail .

See you at ten - Stan 8)
  • cooldad
    We'll have to take it easy anyway if Popstar's not coming as he keeps the first aid kit in his tardis like backpack.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Last week between Popstar and Plaisir we (well, supraman) were well served.
  • JonniOne
    JonniOne Posts: 25
    edited June 2010
    Cool thanks for the directions. I'll be there tomorrow too, Ill be driving a banged up silver 206.

I went to have a preview of what SH was like today and pretty much got lost 80% of the time, wasn't even sure if I was going to find my way back. The only time I wasnt lost is when some guys told me to follow the power cables (riding from youth hostel) and that was good route down, but by the time I did 2 runs of that it was getting late.
    popstar wrote:
    Oh I actually live in Middlesex, Shepperton which is pretty close to SH fortunately :)
    4 Wheels move the body, 2 Wheels move the soul

Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
  • Walking Bottom at 10am sounds good to me. I'll be in a white merc with a white commie meta 55 hanging off the back.

See you there....
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    JonniOne wrote:
    Oh I actually live in Middlesex, Shepperton which is pretty close to SH fortunately :)

Just over the river from me then. Greetings from Walton!

I'm mostly in one piece, just the ribs are a bit bashed but I reckon another week should see them good enough to try some "gentle" riding :)
  • cooldad
    JonniOne wrote:
    Cool thanks for the directions. I'll be there tomorrow too, Ill be driving a banged up silver 206.

I went to have a preview of what SH was like today and pretty much got lost 80% of the time, wasn't even sure if I was going to find my way back. The only time I wasnt lost is when some guys told me to follow the power cables (riding from youth hostel) and that was good route down, but by the time I did 2 runs of that it was getting late.
    popstar wrote:

Well you've learnt your first bit - the run down to the youth hostel is Telegraph Road, for obvious reasons.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • hey guys. i am bringing my bike down with my to uni next year (September), im at brunel, so out near Heathrow. is there a way to get my bike into central to meet you guys when your out riding? or is it just a case of riding in? cause it would be awesome to go riding with people, as i always end up out on me own lol.
  • Plaisir
    Plaisir Posts: 83
    hey guys. i am bringing my bike down with my to uni next year (September), im at brunel, so out near Heathrow. is there a way to get my bike into central to meet you guys when your out riding? or is it just a case of riding in? cause it would be awesome to go riding with people, as i always end up out on me own lol.

A few of us are in west London so I'm sure we could pick you up or meet half way. I'm not far away from Hounslow myself so you'll be fine :)

Sorry I couldn't make it out today guys, was still pissed this morning so couldn't drive :P Probably should have seen it coming seeing as I was in the pub for 13 hours yesterday. Hope you had a good time!
    2009 Marin Wolf Ridge 6.9
  • Stan Leigh
    Crackin' day out in the woods!

Nice to meet those of you who were out today , look forward to seeing you again & meeting the rest of the gang soon .

Cheers ! :lol:
  • JonniOne
    JonniOne Posts: 25
    Yep it was a good ride, nice meeting you all!
    Thanks for showing the routes and showing a great time, wrists are really sore though. Deffinately will have a good sleep tonight without a doubt!
    4 Wheels move the body, 2 Wheels move the soul

Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
  • cooldad
    Excellent day, nice weather, trails were just about perfect.
    Minor blemish - dinged my rim, but all Popstars fault, coming down Telegraph Road kept hearing his voice "keep left keep left" so I did and discovered Supraman's crash site. Took it flat out (not that I had time to do anything else) big crunch on landing.
    I should stick to the girly bits.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • popstar
    Ama-gad, Cooldad you ride men's version Telegraph Road?! Rezzpect ! Seems as if my ghost pushing people to the edge, nice one. I guess you took lady's approach to ride slowly there instead of bombing it, that's where Popstar's curse came after you!

Hope to meet new boys in town soon, would be able to do rides early morning next week.

• ah thanks plaisir, i might just take you guys up on that offer :) ill have to make sure i stick around on here when i finally get back to uni in september and have my bike with me :)