London Calling

Comments

• bungalistic
    bungalistic Posts: 543
    Want to go Wales not sure if i'll be free for much time on saturday and not sure I can afford the petrol cost, but i'll see how the week goes. Would like to hit surrey hills this sunday if folk are free again.
  • emerywd
    emerywd Posts: 52
    popstar wrote:
    David, there are riders heading to Surrey Hills this weekend ... keep in touch. Think few of us will head down to SWales as the weather promises to be good, don't see why have to miss opportunity.

will do. I've only been to Surrey Hills once, so need to know where to meet once people have decided where (and when) to meet!

And Thursday takers, let me know ...
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    May have to use some cunning and guile/constant bugging to get cooldad to say yes to Wales on Sat.

It begins now...

@cooldad - can we go? can we go? can we go? :lol:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • popstar
    popstar Posts: 1,392
    Thursday may possibly squeeze either Swinley Forest or might even Surrey Hills ride. Need to confirm with Plaisir if he chooses to be my driver of the day. Emerywd, what times do you plan to ride?

Thel33ter, I wish Cooldad would go Saturday to SWales, so Dkenny,Supraman,Plaisir ... Atz and more. That way we could bring costs down on travels.

Hope Vimeo sorted my vid now ... Cwmcarn part2 (The learning curve).
    What could have been (Video)

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • supra-man
    supra-man Posts: 358
    popstar wrote:
    Thursday may possibly squeeze either Swinley Forest or might even Surrey Hills ride. Need to confirm with Plaisir if he chooses to be my driver of the day. Emerywd, what times do you plan to ride?

Thel33ter, I wish Cooldad would go Saturday to SWales, so Dkenny,Supraman,Plaisir ... Atz and more. That way we could bring costs down on travels.

Hope Vimeo sorted my vid now ... Cwmcarn part2 (The learning curve).

Right I wont be able to make it this weekend, my shock wont be back on time...

popstar your video is still uploading after 9 hours.... :shock:
    specialized enduro 06 gone snif
    RS Lyrik U-turn sold
    Mondraker Dune XR

My Megavalanche qualifier : http://vimeo.com/15094020
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There's always the option of hiring a bike there.
  • Helter
    Helter Posts: 137
    popstar wrote:
    Raise your hands for SWales trip!

Very raised hand.

It'll be my first off road ride back since Feb so may not be able to hack Sat & Sun but will see how it goes. Want to ride on Saturday for sure and happy for SWales, SHill or Swinley, whichever we get the numbers for.

I'm in Ealing with a Polo so can fit another bike plus Warrior in the motor if that helps too.

Supra-man - you found that fork you were looking for?
    Charge Duster (RIP)
    Ragley mmmBop
  • Anonymous
    popstar wrote:
    Raise your hands for SWales trip!
    Hand raised here :D
  • thel33ter
    I'm doing swinley this afternoon slowly of anyone wants to meet up after 4 ish
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • popstar
    With the help of God, or lets say my video's have been touched by his hand ... here they are Cwmcarn part 2(The learning curve).

I'll choose not put too much stake into someone's opinion who is admittingly terrible though
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    thel33ter wrote:
    May have to use some cunning and guile/constant bugging to get cooldad to say yes to Wales on Sat.

It begins now...

@cooldad - can we go? can we go? can we go? :lol:

Can go back to your cage in the basement if you're not careful.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • thel33ter
    You don't have a cage... or a basement... or enough rooms for one to count as a basement.

So, can we go now, and is anyone up for swinley sometime this afternoon?
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Anonymous
    Cwmcarn - hmm, yeah, I'll miss out the downhill I think.

http://www.mbwales.com/en/content/cms/C ... nhill.aspx

Though that said, it does say "Pretty much everything on this track is rollable". If it's proper DH though, it's not really for me. Just don't have the kit and bike for it.

The XC looks good though

http://www.mbwales.com/en/content/cms/C ... Twrch.aspx

I see it has a tough uphill at the start which is obviously why Popstar loves the place ;)
  • Plaisir
    Plaisir Posts: 83
    Quite busy at the moment with uni and work, will be getting shifts tomorrow so will know about this weekend then. But I am up for wales or SH to be honest
    2009 Marin Wolf Ridge 6.9
  • popstar
    Dkenny, I would ignore all that advice on MBwales site. It's all SxxxT*. Climb isn't any tougher than the toughest climb in Swinley upto Labyrinth. They are actually a good fun climbs, in my words more interesting than the climbs in Whites level. Plaisir's fitness isn't that great as you know, yet we managed to climb hill under 30minutes ... it's only 300meters! But boy did we ride after that! As you can see from video, Y Mynydd downhill trail is rollable everywhere and is made for HT use, never mind FS flowing around there. It's kind of ... remember that roll off at BKB many novices scared off? Just many of them littered there, so no problems for you. Whites level black run was actually scarier, you know when you have been white faced. 8)

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    thel33ter wrote:
    You don't have a cage... or a basement... or enough rooms for one to count as a basement.

So, can we go now, and is anyone up for swinley sometime this afternoon?

Maybe a cardboard box.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • popstar
    It seems that SWales ride shapes up for Sunny Sunday. The idea is to go to Cwmcarn this time, as its closest travelwise* (around 2-2.5hours driving-150miles trip). Ride Twrch+Y Mynydd and maybe again Twrch for a good measure. Would be something around 35km/25miles for the whole ride and less than 600meters climbing overall.

Can't say too much in advance but as it stands now, the riders for it are: -Popstar, -Plaisir, -Helter? ... hope Dkenny finds a passenger to split costs on petrol.

• supra-man
    Ahhh for sunday It could be good, I couldn't have managed saturday. Ill know very soon, but still have to bleed brakes at least. hopefully i can get that done.
    That second video looks tasty.

How much climbing is there really over there? 60% down 40 up??? or is it just uplift all day long?

Bungalistic, I'm sorry I wrote in a wrong way, what i meant was if any one was in my position would they do an hour drive or a bit more to view some forks, instead of buying blindly through ebay...
    RS Lyrik U-turn sold
    Mondraker Dune XR

• thel33ter
    One day I'll be free for Wales :roll: CBA to go to Swinley today, probably gonna go tommorow morning, made a V2 of London Calling Jersey... (scroll down on the little picture window thingys to see the backs)

4663694617_53fd451db6_b.jpg

And a special one for Popstar :wink:

4664318300_9957756c70_b.jpg
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • bungalistic
    hmmmm maybe sunday is do-able depending on times and how the travel thing is worked out, I have to get from north east london remember
  • popstar
    Thel33ter, you are like my favourite drink ... -is Relentless! By the way it looks, W-London gets some numbers, what about south side? Dkenny team up with Cooldad/Atz/Bungalistic combo? Does anyone have their friend who may want to join us on epics?

Supraman, climbs vs descent ratio would be something around 40%-60% ... and those climbs are a heart beaters not the leg burners, they are that enjoyable. For those who may not want to climb there is an uplift service running. But that would be a cheating, unless you were Bungalistic with a horrible bike to climb, no offence, that bike is meant to be ridden all the way down. /hides from Bungalistic flames.

Anyway, does anyone wishes to meet for a warm up session?

• Anonymous
    edited June 2010
    Sunday is good for me too. I can fit one person in my car besides myself. I don't have a rack (not that fits my car).

Though just thought I've got split rear seats and wonder if it's possible to get another in, but not sure the bikes would fit (they'd have to be all wheels off).

Edit - at a push maybe, but could be tricky stacking 3 bikes in the car though. Need stuff to wrap around them all to stop scratches too. Maybe I'll hunt down a rack on Saturday.

Can pick up if they're not too far from Surrey or on the way, or anyone who wants to make their way to Woking. Or otherwise I'm happy to jump in someone else's car if they've got space for me + bike if I can get to them easy enough, especially if they've got a big car and/or bike rack.

If most of you guys are West London, could just meet up there and we can sort out the cars.

Warm up - could do Thursday evening. Maybe Saturday but more likely the afternoon or late morning.
  • Helter
    Will need a warm up so can do that too. SHills?
    Charge Duster (RIP)
    Ragley mmmBop
  • supra-man
    edited June 2010
    thel33ter wrote:
    One day I'll be free for Wales :roll: CBA to go to Swinley today, probably gonna go tommorow morning, made a V2 of London Calling Jersey... (scroll down on the little picture window thingys to see the backs)

4663694617_53fd451db6_b.jpg

And a special one for Popstar :wink:

4664318300_9957756c70_b.jpg

Ah I love this one, nice color choice 8)
    great the popstart edition.
    RS Lyrik U-turn sold
    Mondraker Dune XR

• bungalistic
    My bike certainly ain't built for climbing that is true, but I have ridden it up and down and all the way round at Cwmcarn.

I'm still a possible for wales on sunday, I would need a (cheap) lift and a meet up point to leave my car etc......

If not i'll go ride with the folk's who aren't going :)
  • popstar
    Prey to Lord it doesn't rain on Sunday. Just to make sure, it's all fine and get my riding fix ... anyone fancy a warm up morning seesion in SH Saturday? Would ride easiest hills Pitch-Holmbury. Friday is possible riding day too.

• Anonymous
    I won't say what BBC and Metcheck are saying other than don't place bets on perfect weather ;). It could all change in the next couple of days though. Remember it is Wales though!

bungalistic - If you're able to get to Woking we can sort something out, or maybe we can all meet up in WL with the others and work out the best mix of cars. With just two in my car it's going to be about £25 each I think though going by last time (though I did have my foot* down a bit much so could shave some off that with a more economical drive :D). Maybe a little less as Cwmcarn is a bit nearer.

* - I say foot, it was the cruise doing the work, but if you set it at 90, it's not exactly economical!

P.S. I'm planning on going to Swinley this evening, aiming for about 6.30pm.

Saturday @ SH - depends on the state of the hangover from Friday.
  • supra-man
    Ok now Im sure for sunday, Im in.
    wit new BB that was the Knocking noise I had brakes will be done and if i have time new chain and rear cassette. ( so less chain slap and noise, I ll hope fully become a silent rider...)

we will have to organise transport :

So w London: popstar, Plaisir, Helter and I
    South London,: Deadkenny
    North east L: Bungalistic

Forgotten anyone?

The 2 P’s can take 3 bikes each i think…
    Dk can take 2,
    I can fit 2 in mine,
    Helter I don’t know.

An Idea:
    If needed I or another of the ealing boys can go down to hatton cross tube station ( 15min from ealing and tubes run from 5 am) near heathrow for Dead Kenny 30 mins from woking and just along the M4.

It takes me 20 to 30 mins to ride up to Plaisir, and 40 to reach popstar.
    RS Lyrik U-turn sold
    Mondraker Dune XR

• popstar
    Waiting for reply from Bungalustic and Atz , W London somehow overfilled, being a gentleman I could bog off to Dkenny. However, if Bungalistic fancies a trip, we could all drive up to Dkenny and mount 3bikes on my car. Would work out £20 per head. That's just an estimate providing other peeps don't want to go, hope Atz and maybe the mighty Greg join us?!

• Helter
    Can get 2 in mine if needed but am easy like Sunday morning!
    Charge Duster (RIP)
    Ragley mmmBop