Who's planning to ride to work tomorrow?

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I tried and failed

acecca03255c4c13968adc50bdb28455.jpg
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Cafewanda wrote:

I have slicks - should I reduce the psi to the minimum for the journey? Balham High Road to London Bridge and return. I'll be using the Trek and not Babygirl, she's far too delicate for this time of year :)

It's not really going to make much different imo... well it hasn't with me
    You're probably leaning too much.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Last night was the first ride this year that I ran into problems. Much ice at the side of the roads and cars not leaving space for me to move out - so slower, and approaching poorly lit bits of road very gingerly.

In Woolwich bus overtook me too close - panicked a bit and ran onto ice. Luckily slipped away from bus, not into it.

thought twice about taking bike out this morning but thought of getting into upper echelons of SC Stats index spurred me on - after all might be my only chance of going top 5.

Surprised to see significant ice in central London :shock: - but then pleased to see significant melting taking place when sun came out lunchtime.

Think I'll take it easy on the way home tonight. I'm hoping to do 60 mile ride tomorrow - from out bit of SE London to outer bit of NW London. and back.
  • El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    Ploughed through the snow and ice in Manchester at 07:00 this morning and the temerature was -10, refreshing!!
  • Dean,

Me too, albeit an hour later than you.....

Was passed en route by a guy on a cow-horned fixie wearing 3/4 shorts!!! :shock:
  • El Diego
    We're hard bastards up north but that takes the biscuit.
  • El Diego
    Just realised you must know me because you used my real name! Who are you?
  • oops,

I just clicked on your profile to see if I might reckonise you and took it from there....

you prob don't know me to be fair...member of the M'cr Wheelers if you know any of them....
  • El Diego
    Ah I see. I am considering joining the Wheelers actually.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    MTB with studded tyres this morning - Minus 10 or more in South Manchester - off road most of the way - kept out of the sliding cars way.

Had to drive 20 miles to the courier's depot last night to pick the tyres up....they couldn't deliver.

Must say, studded MTB tyres are awesome.
  • El Diego
    I had to use the missus bike this morning (pink hybrid)! Did the job though.
  • well according to the BBC website it was -8 degrees in Woodford (cheshire) at midday.....so nice sun, but definitely no thawing today!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/9
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    The main roads of Cardiff and the surrounding area aren't bad at all. I'll be cycling home in 20 minutes or so. I'll have to stay on road with standard road tyres fitted, maybe on the weekend I'll do some fettling and try to get one of 3 mountain bikes up and running as a back up.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Lovely ride home tonight, I left work around 6.30 buit withthe lack of traffic was more like midnight

roads were clear too
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I'd dearly love to ride to work tomorrow but there's wall-to-wall ice out there.

2010's mileometer remains at 0.

:idea:

What if I strap a can of de-icer to the front forks, aim it in front of the wheel, and jam the button down?

I may be getting desperate.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Lovely ride home tonight, I left work around 6.30 buit withthe lack of traffic was more like midnight

roads were clear too

+1. I passed/saw less than 10 bikes, I think.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Just been up and down the road to see how slippy the compacted snow is and I'm happy to say it seemed fine.

The semi knobbly Kendas that my hybrid came with seem to work really well on it so it's game on for tomorrow :)

PP
    People that make generalisations are all morons.

Target free since 2011.
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    cjcp wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

roads were clear too

True, True, actually looking forward to a nice ride in tomorrow if the snow holds off. Expecting half of the people I work with to "work from home", and the rest of the commuters to follow suit.
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    itboffin wrote:
    I tried and failed

acecca03255c4c13968adc50bdb28455.jpg
    I don't see the problem.
  • cjcp wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

roads were clear too

loads of kids and parents though! I took a spin up though RP before seeing the wife. and after going up dark and down broomfield, I saw a another bike I thought who else could be silly enought....

4254419963_ea26ef5800.jpg4255184768_e979bff961.jpg
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    My planned 60 mile ride today is now knocked down to a mere 30 due to icy conditions. :cry:
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Yippee!!! Rode to work this morning and even though my fingertips started to freeze (fingerobics help) I couldn't stop smiling en route :D:D:D

Very few cyclists on my route and vehicular traffic was light also. Lovely to see the RLJ crowd out and about too :roll:

Looking forward to the homeward journey :lol:
  • always_tyred
    Mmm. Repeated -9 temps seems to cause the grease in my freewheel to freeze.

Intermittent loss of drive throughout the morning's ride. Bunny hopping heled dislodge the pawls.

Anyone else suffering this?
  • Mmm. Repeated -9 temps seems to cause the grease in my freewheel to freeze.

Intermittent loss of drive throughout the morning's ride. Bunny hopping heled dislodge the pawls.

could it be ice ingress?
  • I have had to chuckle when I get to work and the lads that are finishing their shift ask me what the roads are like. Usual response is theyr'e ok, no problems as I take my lid off and wonder why some drive in as they live less than 1 mile away up a steep hill?

is it ok to ride on the footpaths as all the peds are walking on the roads round here? Makes it nasty when passing them and a car is trying to slither along the road .
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • always_tyred

could it be ice ingress?
    I don't think so - however grease does contain quite a lot of dissolved water anyway.

I believe its a known issue with Shimano freehubs.
  • Clever Pun
    Porgy wrote:
    My planned 60 mile ride today is now knocked down to a mere 30 due to icy conditions. :cry:

do you work?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun

could it be ice ingress?
    I don't think so - however grease does contain quite a lot of dissolved water anyway.

:lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • always_tyred
    Clever Pun wrote:

could it be ice ingress?

Yes, I'll just pop out and get a Campag mountain bike disc hub... oh, wait...
  • Clever Pun wrote:

could it be ice ingress?

Yes, I'll just pop out and get a Campag mountain bike disc hub... oh, wait...

yes campag MTB stuff didn't sell well....

re the hub I've used MTB's in -10 and below and not had problems which frankly isn't much use to you.

is the bike stored cold or warm? maybe take it indoors over night to let it thaw out?