Who's planning to ride to work tomorrow?

Comments

• Ride in - magical.
    Uphill stretches were fine but downhill, all control lost on the uncleared bits. I’ll most likely stick to the bus routes on the way back which all seem clear. Only minor problem; because the gutters are drifted up I was forced into primary in some places I wouldn’t normally take it.
    But all in all it reminded me why I ride; fun, technical, and arrived just about on time. Only downside was no trail buddy to share it with.
    Happy pedalling folks!
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Rode to the train station and got on the train today. 20 miles is too far in this weather didn't really enjoy riding home last night and it's much worse this morning.

I'm all geared up though incase the trains aren't running later, I've brought my MTB just in case.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Fine this morning (Putney-City), bit worried about the return journey tonight! Plenty of fellow cyclists though, which was a good sign. Some chap apeared to have had an altercation with a Zafira on the RAB between Millbank Wind Tunnel and Parliament Sq. Seemed all OK.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    I wimped out and took the bus in. I really envy you guys :(
  • Jon8a
    Jon8a Posts: 235
    Nice ride in this morning, took me twice as long as normal but nothing compared to what the drivers took. Made the mistake of taking my normal SS commuter which is too highly geared so tomorrow I'm taking my MTB and might set of an hour early for some snowy fun on the way. Roads were mayhem and a bit dicey in places so I'd rather have mahoosive tyres and hit the powder of the back roads.
  • Alas due to the pub calling I won't be on the bike tomorrow - but will be nice and toasty all the same with beer in the belleh.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • I made it in to Halifax today, 9 miles on a borrowed full sus. Mountain bike.

Great fun. Roads dead as cars not attempting it. Really hoping it snows again tonight but it looks like it has all headed south.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    W1 wrote:
    Fine this morning (Putney-City), bit worried about the return journey tonight!

+1. Hoping it's going to be quietish again
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Cafewanda
    BenBlyth wrote:
    I made it in to Halifax today, 9 miles on a borrowed full sus. Mountain bike.

Great fun. Roads dead as cars not attempting it. Really hoping it snows again tonight but it looks like it has all headed south.

I'll see if I can't send it your way as this paticular soft Southerner can't handle it :roll: :)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    BenBlyth wrote:
    I made it in to Halifax today, 9 miles on a borrowed full sus. Mountain bike.

Not yet - snowing in Leeds as I type (12:50). Not sure what I'll do tomorrow. Tempted to check out the towpath as it might be safer than the roads. I think I was a bit of a reckless maniac this morning :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    cjcp wrote:
    W1 wrote:

Even with the "heavy" snow in London on 22 December it was still fine to cycle - only thing that held me up was the gridlocked traffic!
  • cjcp
    W1 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    W1 wrote:

Even with the "heavy" snow in London on 22 December it was still fine to cycle - only thing that held me up was the gridlocked traffic!

+1! Having Lower Thames St to myself was great fun :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Decided not to cycle today, my first day back in the office, due to the snow. Wish I had though - stood at Hither Green station for nearly 2 hours before I could get on a train. I could have walked in that time, let alone cycled.

The roads don't seem that bad here - a bit slushy if anything but not frozen.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    I skipped today. How did London people find getting home?

I'm tempted to try tomorrow, but need to be in City for 7:30 and only have fairly slick
    23 tyres.

Is it worth a go? or doomed to failure?
    exercise.png
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    I was planning to cycle after this mornings shambles - however it looks like serious ice tomorrow which looks lethal, think I'll have to brave the trains again.

Getting annoying - still haven't managed to use the new bike for a proper commute yet.
  • cjcp
    TheStone wrote:
    I skipped today. How did London people find getting home?

I'm tempted to try tomorrow, but need to be in City for 7:30 and only have fairly slick
    23 tyres.

Is it worth a go? or doomed to failure?

The 23mms would have been ok if you rode primary and avoided the slush. Ice will be the thing to avoid tomorrow morning.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I think I'll head in late tomorrow - give the traffic a chance to clear the way. If I get held up a bit by the gridlock, it'll probably be good for me!!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Ice was pretty horrible on the way home tonight, the inside of the bus lane between Euston Rd and Camden was frozen solid. Traffic was very quiet, so at least I only had to concern meself with staying upright, which I seem to have managed ok.
  • I didn't ride in today as I had a hospital appointment so worked from home. However, definately riding in tomorrow. Looks like a lot of fun, especially from my experience of Blackheath and Greenwich Park a few weeks ago.
    shame the rider doesn't match the bike...
  • I made it to work, fell off once in Kidbrook near the gym. Bike just went out from under me when riding in a straight line! :roll:

And it took twice as long to make it work cos I had to walk the really icy bits.

Going home I'll stick to the main roads. :shock:
    shame the rider doesn't match the bike...
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    this morning was a lot easier than last night that's for sure
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    this morning was a lot easier than last night that's for sure

yup was lovely in the woods on the MTB around lunchtime but by the time I picked the wife up from work the road where quite icy. I drove her in this am and was a lot better taking the big hybrid to RP before work to have a play.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I found this morning more scary, possibly because I was more sober.

Got a feeling that if I carry on biking in this (which I probably will) it's only a matter of time before I'm on the deck - touch wood. Even put my phone in the bag instead of pocket this morning to avoid it breaking my fall.
  • well it was certainly nippy this am - it was minus 12 degrees when I left home at 8am...

taking a far (usually) busier route currently to ensure I stay on gritted roads but i was able to draft behind several cars on the way in.....definitely less traffic as people take train / tram or bus into work

I'm not sure though if it was envy or pity I saw on their faces as I passed them though :?

Tomorrow could be interesting as the BBC is currenlty forecasting heavy snow for M'cr overnight!!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    _Brun_ wrote:
    I found this morning more scary, possibly because I was more sober.

Got a feeling that if I carry on biking in this (which I probably will) it's only a matter of time before I'm on the deck - touch wood. Even put my phone in the bag instead of pocket this morning to avoid it breaking my fall.

I've ridden once this week, Monday. I think I'm suffering muscle wastage, already :shock: .

The annoying thing is I'm finding that they've thrown so much salt down along the A24 it's almost bone dry.

However, the side roads and pavement (for peds) haven't and now they're basically covered by a sheets of ice. This creates three problems: (i) Dangerous to traverse in car,foot or bike. (ii) Before setting off it makes me think that other roads will be equally treacherous leading to my decision to not ride. (iii)Cars have squashed/pushed the ice from the side road to where it merges with the main road - exactly where I'd be riding my bike - It's slippery at those junctions and I can see myself having a serious off in those instances.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • I think I might have to borrow my brother's ridiculously fat-tyred MTB and go for a ride today.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Main roads are fine here in London, provided you stay out of the gutter and keep an eye out for random patches of ice. Side roads are bad so best avoided, but doable at a steady pace with no sharp braking. Its at times like this I love my chunky (but slick) tyres! :)
  • Cafewanda
    DDD I've not ridden since Monday and I'm tired, cranky and p!!sed off. Running Tuesday night helped but not by much :roll:

Seriously thinking of riding tomorrow but will have to walk the bike to Balham High Road as my side roads/pavements are an ice rink.

I have slicks - should I reduce the psi to the minimum for the journey? Balham High Road to London Bridge and return. I'll be using the Trek and not Babygirl, she's far too delicate for this time of year :)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Cafewanda wrote:

I have slicks - should I reduce the psi to the minimum for the journey? Balham High Road to London Bridge and return. I'll be using the Trek and not Babygirl, she's far too delicate for this time of year :)

It's not really going to make much different imo... well it hasn't with me

riding through snow with slicks last night was interesting
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    For the first time so far through all the chaos, the missus decided not to ride today. Personally I think she's been doing pretty well, and completely putting me to shame. :oops:

Speaking of which, I battled to get into the car this morning. The door was a bit frozen closed, and the road was covered in ice, so any attempt to pull the door open had be sliding towards the car. Madness. Good thing is today was the easiest commute ever - mostly because teh roads were nearly empty!