Who's planning to ride to work tomorrow?

167891012»

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Slush is fine to ride in - or rather - through.

My conclusion:

Walk to end of road and get on your bike. :P

As long as the slush isn't half frozen which alot is around here.......

I'm just waiting to get clobbered on SCStats by all the jessies who haven't been cycling in since the new year :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Clever Pun wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Didn't ride in and its starting to get to me.

My road in Wimbledon = rug of snow on the road

Main road in Wimbledon = Slush on the road

Chancery Lane = wet roads no sign of snow or it having ever snowed

Conclusion:

It is both unsafe to ride (in Wimbledon) and safe to ride (Chancery Lane).
    Slush is fine to ride in - or rather - through.

My conclusion:

Walk to end of road and get on your bike. :P

The slush was pretty minging, a bit slippy but also froze my feet off - like cycling wearing ice cubes. Lovely. Looking forward to the ride home ...

you don't have any waterproofing on your feet?

No, ususally the wet I can handle, it's just the fact that it was of slush-puppy consistency which was a struggle (not taste though, I can attest to that thanks to the passing lorries).

Whilst the frost bite was bad enough, the driving snow was actually the worst part. I could barely open my eyes properly (and no, no glasses either).
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Clever Pun wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    I ended up wiping snow off the rear lights of one Audi. The rear window was covered in snow so the driver wouldn't have noticed. :roll:

I keep unfolding drivers offside wing mirrors atm I've done 3 this year

:roll: Good grief.

Here's another one for drivers: push the snow off your roof *before* you set off...
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yes but things seem to have taken a turn for the worse this evening of the local builders tried to plough the main roads, leaving behind patches of ice and lumps of slush - several off's later I'm seriously considering cycling on the still snow covered pavements tomorrow, after all it's almost impossible to tell where they are.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • No trouble cycling from Stockwell to Euston today. My road was snowy but I just pushed the bike to the main road which was fine, just covered in black slush. Took it easy though, as it was slippery. Really can't be doing with public transport at the moment.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Finally made it home a mere 14 hours after setting off this morning - I should have been home before 9am !

I thought I was stuck in Munich - people started getting on the bus to board the plane, then they all came back again and we got further delayed. Fortunately we finally managed to get away.

The car that brought me back from the airport bottled it at the sight of my road though, so I got to walk the last 1/4 mile through slippery damp snow. Carrying my luggage. Thankfully I travel light !

That was a fun day :roll:
    Misguided Idealist
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    cjcp wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    I ended up wiping snow off the rear lights of one Audi. The rear window was covered in snow so the driver wouldn't have noticed. :roll:

Here's another one for drivers: push the snow off your roof *before* you set off...

yeah I've got some snow in the face as well :lol:

Rolf F: I'm expecting big things from LateCharge :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    cjcp wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

I thought it was standard practice to drive around with 3-4" of snow on your roof? After all that way if you do need to brake suddenly it all slides off anyway! I suspect this is why one poor gent was out of his car in a queue frantically trying to remove a huge amount of ice from his windscreen last week :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Clever Pun wrote:

Unless he's Contador, he'd better not leave it too late given the start made by CJCP, ITB etc!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Rolf F wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

Unless he's Contador, he'd better not leave it too late given the start made by CJCP, ITB etc!

I'm clinging on to the top 10 I'm pretty happy with that 7-9000 miles would be great
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • What a day!

Almost Spring-like...

No snow or slush on the roads, no rain. The roads were even dry in places on the way home.

Please lets have another like that tomorrow!
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    2 people i work with both fell off on wednesday, one of them pretty badly.

I will look at it monday and hopefully be back on the road then :D
    FCN 3/5/9
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Yesterday morning I did walk the quarter-mile to the gritted roads
  • Probably for the best taking care in the ice - just read this about a death this last week in Islington :-(

http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/conte ... 3A11%3A010