Who's planning to ride to work tomorrow?

Comments

• always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965

yes campag MTB stuff didn't sell well....

re the hub I've used MTB's in -10 and below and not had problems which frankly isn't much use to you.

is the bike stored cold or warm? maybe take it indoors over night to let it thaw out?

Stored inside in the day, garage at night. So the ride home should be fine. My life would not be worth living if the bike were to find its way into the kitchen covered in snow!!
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Nice photo's Roger.

I did a miserly 4 miles in today as I was very late. Went the short way home last night too - ok I'm a pussy - I admit it :)

The only problems I'm getting is walking the bike to the roadside and compacted snow clogging up my cleats.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    My planned 60 mile ride today is now knocked down to a mere 30 due to icy conditions. :cry:

do you work?

Yes - I have a 30 mile commute with opportunities for extra miles when I have to visit our satellite premises. today I visited a depot in Ruislip 15 miles out of central london.

However not knowing what conditions are like in West London I chickened out. I can't really afford to get late to meetings at work - especially if I cycled there - wouldn;t go down well at all.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Mmm. Repeated -9 temps seems to cause the grease in my freewheel to freeze.

Intermittent loss of drive throughout the morning's ride. Bunny hopping heled dislodge the pawls.

Anyone else suffering this?

could it be ice ingress?
    I don't think so - however grease does contain quite a lot of dissolved water anyway.

I believe its a known issue with Shimano freehubs.

My Ultegra freehub on the CXP33 is no more too. It stopped working yesterday morning after Wednesday evening's ride in the snow.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:

Intermittent loss of drive throughout the morning's ride. Bunny hopping heled dislodge the pawls.

could it be ice ingress?
    I don't think so - however grease does contain quite a lot of dissolved water anyway.

My Ultegra freehub on the CXP33 is no more too. It stopped working yesterday morning after Wednesday evening's ride in the snow.
    It is an ex-freehub. It has seized to be.

I'll get my coat...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

could it be ice ingress?

I'll get my coat...

Oh very good. :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • benno68
    cjcp wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

could it be ice ingress?

I'll get my coat...

Oh very good. :wink:

Good one JG!

Hey CJ - are you heading this way for the weekend, with bike?

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    JonGinge wrote:
    It is an ex-freehub. It has seized to be....

Hah! Like it.

The grease itself will get stickier as temperatures drop- depending on what's in there that could be enough to cause problems.

I think this sort of problem is bound to occur with "bleeding edge technology", if you're going to depend on new-fangled innovations like freewheels then you have to expect problems...

My fixie is working fine, BTW... :-)

Cheers,
    W.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    my hybrid has been nothing but wonderful throughout this whole wintery interval. 8)
  • cjcp
    Benno68 wrote:

Afraid I'm not heading down there this weekend. Best not in this weather. Looks like it'll be Feb at the earliest.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • benno68
    cjcp wrote:
    Benno68 wrote:

Afraid I'm not heading down there this weekend. Best not in this weather. Looks like it'll be Feb at the earliest.

Never mind, at least I've got a month or so to prepare then, my current fitness level is worse than normal right now :( Thinking about getting a cheapo Turbo Trainer.

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    get an old hack or a mountain bike with wide tyres and go out in the snow, fantastic workout, actually looking forward to going to work on saturday and sunday :D
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I was, until I just looked out the window :evil:

there's already an inch on the car, which I cleared this morning after recharging the battery AGAIN!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I'm going to try, but wouldn't mind too much if I have to turn around after an hour and admit defeat!
  • benno68
    I'll wait and see - 3 inches of snow outside plus I fell on my ar$e on the way home today :oops:

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • It's melting here in essex! :D

I may be able to take a road bike out tomorrow without crashing!

:D:D:D:D:D
  • I took the road bike in for the first time this year to give the mtb a break and i got snowed on on the way home - typical!! already over an inch outside so the mtb again tmrw... Poor thing.
    tmacsigcopy.jpg
  • benno68
    I took the road bike in for the first time this year to give the mtb a break and i got snowed on on the way home - typical!! already over an inch outside so the mtb again tmrw... Poor thing.

Didn't think I'd ever say this, "wish I had a mountain bike". :D

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • It's not looking hopeful, the snow is pretty thick on the ground outside the window.
  • itboffin
    Benno68 wrote:
    I took the road bike in for the first time this year to give the mtb a break and i got snowed on on the way home - typical!! already over an inch outside so the mtb again tmrw... Poor thing.

Didn't think I'd ever say this, "wish I had a mountain bike". :D

The mountain bike is becoming less effective each day, we had a 3-4 inches last night and it's still snowing slightly now :?
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Is SE England snowy again ?

My flight back to Gatwick is "delayed due to weather at destination" - but Gatwick Airport website is keeping quiet about any reason for this. I mean,why tell your customers what's going on ?
    :roll:

In good news, here in Slovenia they seem to be able to handle snow.
    And they have free wifi access in the airport :-)
    Misguided Idealist
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208

Gah, two inches is West London and it's still coming down.

Spent half an hour getting ready for my ride in this morning, just about to put me clothes on and I caught on the TV that it was snowing, looked out of the window, and hay presto, a winter wonderland. F**k f**k f**k.
  • itboffin

My flight back to Gatwick is "delayed due to weather at destination" - but Gatwick Airport website is keeping quiet about any reason for this. I mean,why tell your customers what's going on ?
    :roll:

In good news, here in Slovenia they seem to be able to handle snow.
    And they have free wifi access in the airport :-)

Yes it is grrrrr :evil:
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Ta - direct flight to Gatwick has been cancelled :-(

No-one seems to know why Gatwick's fecked - could be snow but there's a rumour that the French air traffic control are on strike. That'd be a change !

Now coming back via Munich and eventually to Heathrow. Which is handy, cos my car's at Gatwick.

Never let anyone tell you that business travel is glamorous :roll:
    Misguided Idealist
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I want cycle in today but it's looking pretty dangerous... hmmm
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    No problem at 06:30 this morning Wimbledon to Victoria. About an inch or so in Wimbledon and still snowing for the ride in. I use an old Dawes Galaxy and 28mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres in this weather, oh and I stick to main roads!
  • itboffin
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I want cycle in today but it's looking pretty dangerous... hmmm

Did it snow in London as well?
  • not working today so be play time for me. depending on time.

I'm dropping the wife of in her work as she for some funny reason doesn't want to ride in the snow.
  • owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Did it snow in London as well?[/quote]

Yup still is at 08:45
  • Gatwick runway closed because of the snow, pretty heavy that side of London.

Came down to the garage all dressed ready to cycle then looked out the window and thought perhaps not! Deja vu of last week, cycle to work on Tuesday then the rest of the week is snowed off :-(