Who's planning to ride to work tomorrow?

Comments

• Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    iain_j wrote:
    Nope. Even if I was I don't think Christmas would be noticed after the sh!t hit the fan today regarding some people's bad attitudes and [lack of] interpersonal skills :evil:

Merry f*king Christmas :roll:

care to share?
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Ahhh, just an issue that's been rumbling for a few weeks and they chose today of all days to light the touchpaper :?

Basically the world revolves around one particular person, who stirs the sh!t frequently by putting in complaints against people. A few days ago, someone dared to complain about her attitude. It kicked off today :roll:

A few days away will hopefully cool it off.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Yep leaving at 5am even if the snow does fall overnight, might take more than the usual hour to do 20 miles, i'm on the mountain bike with a MASSHOOF rucksack and most likely wearing half my cycling wardrobe :lol:

:roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Damn, the winter timetable now I hadn't planned that, good job I just checked :oops:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Seems only myself and one or two others came into work today, it's all very quiet round here :roll:
  • itboffin wrote:
    Seems only myself and one or two others came into work today, it's all very quiet round here :roll:

Least you still have the job though matey :)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    I cycled part of the way on Harry with added suspension seat post and comfy saddle.
    No more razor burns from the boardman saddle :D
  • bd12mz
    bd12mz Posts: 79
    man that was an unpleasant ride in....
    freezing cold - lashing rain...brrrrr wet n froze me.
    and then to cap it all my glove wouldn't go back on properly cause of wet hand - grrrr

very glad I invested in these winter cycling tights - least me legs were relatively warm - little soggy but warm :)
  • itboffin
    +1

Hope it snows :D
  • itboffin wrote:
    +1

Hope it snows :D

armed with the fenix light ice is less of a issue as I can see it now. not so slowly slipping down the stats list as I only do around 4 miles a day on the commute bike, I might invest in some marathon winters if nothing else so people can hear me in Bushy Park....
  • First commute of the year - who knows what it could bring... :D
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    First commute of the year... all good except for my water bottle was frozen oh and my toes! :lol:
  • Mikelyons
    Mikelyons Posts: 154
    First commute for 2 weeks -5C , but roads are frosty here (SW London/Heathrow) rather than icy.

Decided to go out earlier than normal , so could return home & catch bus if necessary

No real problems , just took things carefully
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    First ride of the year and was left-hooked by a small red car. T*sser/stupid beech (male or female, not sure) was a considerate driver who didn't stop :x

I wobbled but didn't fall, which I'll put down to my slow speed and increased cycling confidence :)

On other news: back to windproof gloves tomorrow as fingertips still froze in my Aldi chirren's ski gloves. One day I'll get it right :roll:
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Wimped out this morning (needed to take in the pot plant and shower/change gear in today anyway).

I wussed out for most of the run up to Christmas hols too, found excuses not to ride without feeling too guilty. But I actually want to now! We had a heavy frost this morning in Bristol, the only worry I have now really is ice :S

Assuming people have given up on the shorts by now and everyone's in wintry longs and possibly even the boil-in-bag yellow jackets again?
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Cafewanda
    HNY SJ :)

I'm sure there are a few die-hards rocking shorts still. I saw two last week :shock:

Careful on the ice!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I cycled in. Cold, cold, cold and christmas meant I was off pace. Unless it icy or snowingI'm commuting now without pause.

However, the boiler was off in the office and we are contemplating whether its too cold to work as it's just above 13degrees in the office.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Mikelyons
    Mikelyons Posts: 154
    sarajoy wrote:
    Assuming people have given up on the shorts by now and everyone's in wintry longs and possibly even the boil-in-bag yellow jackets again?

Yes & yes here, except there's not so much risk of 'boliing in the bag' as I don't get up enough of a sweat due to slower speed & lower temperature.

One thing I could have done with this morning was some overshoes.
    Left them at work last time I rode in before Xmas (when I went home via train & pub)

At least I can wear them on way home.

Mike
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,208
    Glad I'm off 'till Thursday - hopefully it will thaw out a bit by then. Not so much the cold that bother me as the ice that's still hanging around in patches.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Sadly whatever I wear, I end up bleedin' cold on the set-off (downhill at both ends), and overheated in the middle (hill halfway). So either I set off not-too-cold-but-chilly and boil to death midway, or set off blood-nora-this-is-cold and just break a sweat halfway. Can't really win!
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    edited January 2010
    Mikelyons wrote:
    sarajoy wrote:

Yes & yes here, except there's not so much risk of 'boliing in the bag' as I don't get up enough of a sweat due to slower speed & lower temperature.

One thing I could have done with this morning was some overshoes.
    Left them at work last time I rode in before Xmas (when I went home via train & pub)

At least I can wear them on way home.

Mike

still shorts here for fun rides, but I commute in work clothes so trousers etc. on the roadie i'm much more worried about ice than how cold it is, windproof jacket + underlayer and shorts and I was toastie, but slow as the downs where rather icy.
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    -5 here in the Otter valley in East Devon this morning. Had a thin base layer under my Endura soft shell for the first time this winter and have been in DHB Merston longs for about 2 weeks now.
    Seemed about right for me.
    Mark
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I cycled in. Cold, cold, cold and christmas meant I was off pace. Unless it icy or snowingI'm commuting now without pause.

However, the boiler was off in the office and we are contemplating whether its too cold to work as it's just above 13degrees in the office.
    I worked in an office where a local taxi company would steal the diesel out the boiler during the christmas break so it was always cold when we returned.
  • Cafewanda
    DonDaddyD wrote:

I reckon it's too cold. Check Health and Safety. There's a legal minimum, apparently.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I am planning on it (night shift tonight) however I do have the issue of having to drive into Exeter to pick up my bike which means driving past work and then cycling back 7 miles and then having the reverse issue in the morning :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • essexian
    essexian Posts: 187
    Taken from the Citizens Advice information system.

"The temperature in the workplace should normally be at least 16 degrees centigrade unless the work requires considerable physical effort, when it should be at least 13 degrees. These temperatures do not apply to rooms (or parts of rooms) where it would be impractical to maintain such temperatures, such as rooms which have to be open to the outside or where food has to be kept cold. In such cases, the temperature should be as close to 16 degrees (or 13 degrees) as is practical. A thermometer must be provided so that workers can check the temperature inside the building. Further information about workplace temperature is available from the Health and Safety Executive's website at www.hse.gov.uk or, in N. Ireland, from the Health and Safety Executive for Northern Ireland's website at www.hseni.gov.uk.
  • Cafewanda
    NGale wrote:
    I am planning on it (night shift tonight) however I do have the issue of having to drive into Exeter to pick up my bike which means driving past work and then cycling back 7 miles and then having the reverse issue in the morning :shock:

Don't be looking for excuses now. Just get on with it :lol:
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Cafewanda wrote:
    NGale wrote:

Don't be looking for excuses now. Just get on with it :lol:

Just seems like one heck of a faff just to get to work :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Dam its well cold out there! I worked nights over the w/end it just got colder and colder! Looking at the weather it will get even colder doh! I wore 5 layers this moring at 7am on the way back was cold...

Yes its icy and cold, I now its icy casue I stacked it. The only bad bit about it, it has made my injury a lot wose, it hurts like hell. I don't think anyone saw me go flying but I didn't wait to look. So beer or painkillers ppl?

On the upside I love my bike, its awesome I'm gonna enjoy riding it :D
  • So beer or painkillers ppl?

Both - the liver will focus on the alcohol and let more of the painkillers do their stuff :)