Who's planning to ride to work tomorrow?

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Unpleasant in my village today - couldn't stand upright on the road outside my house let alone cycle on it. Once on the main road it seemed OK barring one slight twitch from the back end on a roundabout. After that it was fine. Always worst where I live.

If it looks the same tomorrow, I'll go in late.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I made an effort this morning. I walked to the main road (I can't see the kerbs where I live, snows that thick) and cycled about 2 minutes down the road. Back end sliding all over the place, front wheel sliding about.

I feel good I made the effort, feel better for thinking 'no' to another hour of that madness. Crazy. I took the girlfriends MTB as well, not my road bike. Think I'll be walking tommorow...
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Made it in, a little hairy out by mine on all weather conti's (I'm not sure they mean snow) grimy sludge most of the way which hadn't frozen so was just cold really dirty and wet and cold with just a little slipply danger hazard

took an extra 30 mins today
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Made it in too. Ended up giving a Merc a push up the slope through Roehampton Gate. Was tempted to say, "You need a cyclo cross bike, fella", but resisted :)

Questions: why is it that some drivers only think that they need to turn their lights on when the Moon's out, and why do they not think it's necessary to remove the snow covering their front and rear lights? :?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    No way could ride from where are I am in Bexley. In one hour there were was a couple of inches already. Main road hasn't been gritted so is like an ice rink. Wonder if the council have run out of grit?

Got the train into London what should be a 30 mins journey took 1hour 20m minutes.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    cjcp wrote:
    Questions: why is it that some drivers only think that they need to turn their lights on when the Moon's out, and why do they not think it's necessary to remove the snow covering their front and rear lights? :?
    Yep, was repeatedly thinking the same thing on the way in this morning. Muppets.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Mikelyons
    Mikelyons Posts: 154
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Yep, was repeatedly thinking the same thing on the way in this morning. Muppets.

+1 , AND they also only clear a tiny space on their windscreen.

I had at least two drivers this morning going

"Sh** , where did he come from" .

Took me 30 minutes on top of normal hour commute.
    MTB with tyres at 30psi was the right bike for the job but a lot more effort.

Never felt in any danger - most car traffic was just backed up.

Good fun though :-)

Mike
  • Clever Pun
    JonGinge wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

I've noticed that recently as well... foolish to say the least... I saw one porsche with a small hole in the snow for windscreen and even smaller for the rear... how the fu<k were they supposed to see anything?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I ended up wiping snow off the rear lights of one Audi. The rear window was covered in snow so the driver wouldn't have noticed. :roll:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Best one I ever saw was what I believe was a fiat punto with a good six inches of snow all over travelling at 70 along a dual carriageway with what couldn't have been more than a single hand-scoop taken out of the windscreen for the eyes to peek through.

I'm glad my brain has a, "Stop, this is stupid" feature. :lol:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I'm being asked to travel to West Malling at the moment. I guess that this is a stupid idea?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Didn't ride in and its starting to get to me.

My road in Wimbledon = rug of snow on the road

Main road in Wimbledon = Slush on the road

Chancery Lane = wet roads no sign of snow or it having ever snowed

Conclusion:

It is both unsafe to ride (in Wimbledon) and safe to ride (Chancery Lane).
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Had a lovely ride to work this morning in the fresh snow on the canal towpath. The slushy (and occasionally icy) roads were slightly more interesting.

Mike
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Made it from Ljubljana to Munich to discover onward fight to Heathrow cancelled. Now rebooked on even later fliight.
    Have ordered a car to pick me up at Heathrow and take me home, I'll go fetch my car from Gatwick tomorrow. Or in Spring.

Been up since 5, was meanr to be home by 10.

Gah!
    Misguided Idealist
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    They just closed the main roads in and out of my village :shock:

I'm trapped!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:

I'm trapped!
    Shall we send supplies? Let us know when you run short of energy drink!
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    itboffin wrote:

I'm trapped!

Can you still get to the pub ?

If so, all's well.
    If not, start digging !
    Misguided Idealist
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    itboffin wrote:

I'm trapped!

Can you still get to the pub ?

If so, all's well.
    If not, start digging !

I'm looking for suitable candidates for a batch of prison moonshine :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Clever Pun
    cjcp wrote:
    I ended up wiping snow off the rear lights of one Audi. The rear window was covered in snow so the driver wouldn't have noticed. :roll:

I keep unfolding drivers offside wing mirrors atm I've done 3 this year
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Oooh I do those all the time in London. I did one for a van driver at a long light, and he told me a cyclist had knocked it in in the first place! God knows how...

People are generally grateful. I also point out flat tyres. All part of the friendly cyclist service.

However, a lady did once decide that I was a threat when I knocked on her window to tell her about a very flat tyre, she looked terrified and accelerated away!
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Conclusion:

Slush is fine to ride in - or rather - through.

My conclusion:

Walk to end of road and get on your bike. :P
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Bottled it today. Came in the car :roll: News is that this should be the last of it round here, just need for it to clear.

The road surfaces are going to be shiter than shite now!

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • I cycled this morning from SE London to London Bridge. Probably the deepest snow yet for me - but massively better than the ice I've had for the last week. Both my wife and my neighbour suggested that I was crazy cycling but it was fine once I was out there - I quite enjoyed making fresh tracks in the snow through Burgess Park.

I have a nasty feeling it will be less pleasant going home tonight as it's all thawing at a rate of knots. They've closed the M&S near my office because big lumps of snow are falling off the roof.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • I particularly enjoyed the cars flinging minging slush at me today as they overtook at a rate of knots. No matter how many times it happened the novelty didn't seem to wear off.
  • rjeffroy
    rjeffroy Posts: 638
    Ashamed to say I took the tube today. District Line gave me plenty of time to regret my decision...
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    two broken spokes today so I won't be on the bike tomorrow. :(
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Clever Pun wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Oooh I do those all the time in London. I did one for a van driver at a long light, and he told me a cyclist had knocked it in in the first place! God knows how...

People are generally grateful. I also point out flat tyres. All part of the friendly cyclist service.

However, a lady did once decide that I was a threat when I knocked on her window to tell her about a very flat tyre, she looked terrified and accelerated away!

One sweet lady told me to F off when I told her she had a puncture. I often knock on windows to tell people they've got a bulb out, or in the case of one bus driver - no lights on at all (at night).
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    _Brun_ wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Conclusion:

My conclusion:

The slush was pretty minging, a bit slippy but also froze my feet off - like cycling wearing ice cubes. Lovely. Looking forward to the ride home ...
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    W1 wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

One sweet lady told me to F off when I told her she had a puncture. I often knock on windows to tell people they've got a bulb out, or in the case of one bus driver - no lights on at all (at night).
    I was following a car last night whose right indicator came on instead of the brake light. Sadly I couldn't catch up to point this out, nor did I get to see what happened when they indicated right.
  • Clever Pun
    W1 wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Conclusion:

My conclusion:

The slush was pretty minging, a bit slippy but also froze my feet off - like cycling wearing ice cubes. Lovely. Looking forward to the ride home ...

you don't have any waterproofing on your feet?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5