Who's planning to ride to work tomorrow?

bigbelly
bigbelly Posts: 83
edited January 2010 in Commuting chat
It's probably been asked before, just wanna guage my craziness level against the average!

I am planning to go to the office (Lee to Canary Wharf).

Just wondering who else was "up for it". :lol:
shame the rider doesn't match the bike...

Comments

• If the tubes aren't working I may break out the MTB
    <a>road</a>
  • Cycling to pub, cycling from pub to pub, might be cycling home from 2nd pub but its not likely, more a bad wobble...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • I'm thinking about having a play in the snow.
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    got the day off work, will asses about cycling tomorrow, 90% I'll be cycling though... might even pop into condor to treat myself
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I will be cycling in tomorrow, got no other way of getting into work otherwise. I will be on the CX bike with knobblies on, so as long as the roads are not actually frozen, shouldn't be too much of an issue
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    got the day off work, will asses about cycling tomorrow, 90% I'll be cycling though... might even pop into condor to treat myself

+1, although possibly on the old commuter if the snow settles. I'm mostly going to be in central london or on main roads, though, so it should be fine.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Assessing in the morning, would like to think yes, prefer my money going to wiggle over south west trains, who probably won't be working if it does get bad. :lol:
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    Yes of course!
    If the route is too bad for the MTB then it'll be too bad for any other vehicle.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Would have done, but forced to WFH as second child has come down with chickenpox (caught from first child) and I am being called upon to be supportive.

Afer brief flurry of snow earlier, it looks like I have a powerful tailwind to take me from Victoria to Richmond this evening. Happy days....
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Probably not, but due to wind more than snow. 40mph gusting headwind all the way home, no thanks, and all my gear is filthy from the rain earlier in the week. Must buy mudguards.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • bigbelly wrote:
    It's probably been asked before, just wanna guage my craziness level against the average!

yea ! lovin riding atm in my new looks :D
    Coveryourcar.co.uk RT Tester
    north west of england.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Being Friday it will be my usual day out of teh usual office, so probably parked on the M4, or (hopefully) working from home.

If it wasn't a Friday, I'd ride.
  • Chuffin Nora...

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/tod ... pcode=ec1v

Roastie, are we not going to be graced with your presence at all tomorrow?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Can't cycle tomorrow (Stockwell to Canary Wharf) anyway, due to other non-weather related reasons.

However, my bike is not "snow compatible" and I'm terrified of ice on the road, so, it will be tube and iPod for me tomorrow!

8)
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Roastie, are we not going to be graced with your presence at all tomorrow?
    :( Sadly highly unlikely. Friday is my Swindon day.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    I've got the day off and have to pick up my MTB from the LBS - if we get any snow over in Reading, I'll probably head down the Thames Path or something for a bit of a play before heading over to see you guys!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    Definatly.

Going to see if my mate gets sowed in so I can take an extended MTB route in :D
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Me.

However we have no snow yet oop north. I think there's some due tomorrow night though, to go with the -4 temperature, when I'll be on the work's chrimbo night out. Brrrr.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    If it's too snowy to ride in, it'll be too snowy for any other form of transport to be feasible.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Aidy wrote:
    If it's too snowy to ride in, it'll be too snowy for any other form of transport to be feasible.

Ah! but the train very rarely slips over smacking it body + head on the road

esp if it's wearing a helmet :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    itboffin wrote:

Not unless there are wet leaves, anyway...
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    I havent cycled to work for 3 Weeks!! Still waiting for the manufacturer to sort out my bike.
    But my new bike arrives tomorrow so may be able to cycle home if the forecast is wrong :wink:
  • I'm going to asses in morning. I've already decided I'll take the flatter route to Euston Station as due to potential for snow/ice I don't really want to tackle the hills in Crystal Palace!
    I'm hoping to head out via Streatham then A23 (which I'm hoping will be fairly ice/snow free) all the way to E&C before joining my normal route. Getting up a bit earlier then originally planned to allow extra time to get in, either via PT or the bike.
    Due to a small do that's happening at a pub near VB tomorrow I don't really want to be sans bike and have a great hate for PT on normal days let alone days when the whole world and his dog will be on it and it's running fecked......
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    bigbelly wrote:

Canary Wharf is a bit far for me, but I'll definately on my bike in the morn. Just got in from work, after the little feckers on the way home were throwing snow balls at me. Wouldn't of minded, but it was hard enough work keeping upright. Should be fun in the morning.
  • itboffin wrote:
    Aidy wrote:

indeed I can drive a car up/down 20% slopes in a small car, doesn't work well on a bike, and yes I have in the past tried it.

a smallish car with narrowish tires is for uk snow fairly unbeatable.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    No chance.

Rode in this morning and binned the bike twice... Slick-ish tyres and icy rural rodes just don't mix!

I'm going to just GTFD (opposite of MTFU) and hide in a metal box :-(
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • I can report snow is settling in Sarf London. Haven't ventured properly outside cos it's fecking cold but it is gently sleeting at time of writing.......my weather stations outside sensor is reading 0.6C as the temperature and that's not taking into account any wind chill :-(

Only plus side at the moment is it doesn't appear to be settling on the road and it just looks wet, no doubt this will turn into ice overnight :evil:
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    if the roads are not icy, why not...

although if I can persuade someone to man the phones, then I can go to the pub. Maybe the tube it is. :)
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • I took a twenty minute de tour throught the woods in the dark this eve just to enjoy the snow. if your gonna ride to work off road it if poss more fun! i love rideing in all weather conditions!
  • I will, but I also don't have anyother way of getting into work. 5 miles each way so not too bad. Usually takes about 20 mins. Might take longer tomorrow I think.

Only small problems I can see are that it's supposed to be -3, I have a steep hill to go down, a main road, slick 23c tyres and my helmet is still in Norwich (keep it clean... :roll: )

I'll just keep thinking of how fit I'm getting (while freezing off my :!: ).
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.