Silly Commuter Sportives

Comments

• MatHammond wrote:
    Doh! Was a bit indecisive re the Dragon this year so no place for me. Will need to find some new challenges now.

How about the Time Megeve Mont Blanc? Spectactular scenery, circular route so not too hard admin-wise. 75 mins from Geneva (easyjet) and you can rent a carbon race bike with a triple out there if you don't have a bike box / don't want to get one.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Sounds good - when is it? I'm planning to do one a month - have January to June sorted (running marathon in April but otherwise all bike stuff), will probably head over to the Tour in July but could maybe squeeze in another ride in July / August.
  • MatHammond wrote:
    Doh! Was a bit indecisive re the Dragon this year so no place for me. Will need to find some new challenges now.

in the same area? (ish) tour of black mountains, or the one who's name I can't think of but forest of dean.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Quick question - does one have to wear a helmet at a sportive?
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Depends on the sportive, most do though.

Check the rules for each one is the answer I'm afraid
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Sewinman wrote:

Pretty much all of them insist upon it, I haven't ridden one that doesn't yet. It's worth checking the policy when you sign up though
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Sewinman
    Ok, thanks.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Sewinman wrote:

Which one are you tempted to do then???
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Sewinman wrote:

depends on the sportive some do some don't.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    MatHammond wrote:

in the same area? (ish) tour of black mountains, or the one who's name I can't think of but forest of dean.

Forest Of Dean Spring Classic?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • DesWeller wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:

Forest Of Dean Spring Classic?

that be the one yes.
  • Sewinman
    BJ- I am doing the HOTA.

There is a sportive in Carmerthenshire called the Merlin ride (stupid faux welsh name). Lovely countryside and you can get a train to Llandeilo which is fairly near the start at the National Botanical Gardens in Nantgaredig. I will be doing that one.

Another question folks! Would you stop training at a certain point before a sportive? The HOTA is in two weeks more or less and I was wondering whether to do a 50 mile ride this weekend, or would it be bad for the legs?

Cheers!
  • Sewinman
    Merlin ride -

http://www.merlincycletours.co.uk/content/view/26/47/

V nice part of the world.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Sewinman wrote:
    Another question folks! Would you stop training at a certain point before a sportive? The HOTA is in two weeks more or less and I was wondering whether to do a 50 mile ride this weekend, or would it be bad for the legs?

Cheers!

I think tapering only comes in when you are doing serious amounts of training. Only you know how long it takes you to recover from a 50 mile ride, but I would have thought a day, 2 at the most, out of the saddle should see you right. Just try and get an early night and plenty of carbs the night before and you'll be sorted.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Sewinman wrote:
    BJ- I am doing the HOTA.

There is a sportive in Carmerthenshire called the Merlin ride (stupid faux welsh name). Lovely countryside and you can get a train to Llandeilo which is fairly near the start at the National Botanical Gardens in Nantgaredig. I will be doing that one.

Cheers!

Should be fine as long as you don't over do it in the last week.

my plan is as follows

Sat -Rest
    Sun - 40 miles
    Mon to Thurs - 20 miles per day aero only
    Fri - Rest
    Sat - Light spin
    Sun - Pain day (HOTA)

it works for me, your results may vary
  • Sewinman
    Forgot to say - thanks guys. Think i will copy your schedule Amnezia.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Sewinman wrote:
    Forgot to say - thanks guys. Think i will copy your schedule Amnezia.

My advise, is eat a lot of carbs the night before and drink tons of water, then a good slow carb release breakfast like porridge, and a bottle of you're fav carb drink before you start.

You need to drink water as well as energy drinks, pref with something to replace the lost salts.

The golden rule, DON"T try anything new, new shoes, shorts, drinks or food, trust me i've been there. :oops:

On the test valley tour, new zero carb drink = cramp, new shoes and different pedals = torn ligament :cry:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    itboffin wrote:

The golden rule, DON"T try anything new, new shoes, shorts, drinks or food, trust me i've been there. :oops:

+1 Especially with things like energy gels (filthy muck) they can really mess with your digestive system...
  • Bassjunkieuk
    I can't believe ITB's advice didn't mention anything about carrying spare innertubes :-P
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    I can't believe ITB's advice didn't mention anything about carrying spare innertubes :-P

You've forgotten the support vehicle that follows behind me ;-)

Would actually be really useful on those dark nights, who needs powerful headlights I have a support car :lol:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    itboffin wrote:

You've forgotten the support vehicle that follows behind me ;-)

Would actually be really useful on those dark nights, who needs powerful headlights I have a support car :lol:

Indeed the support vehicle with spare wheels is very useful, especially when your soaked to the bone and can't get near the fire in the pub to warm up :lol:

I wonder if you could get one of these second hand?

Mavic%209-3SC.jpg
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    That would be so cool & geeky at the same time :lol:

I've been wondering how to transport all my bikes, now my flock has grown even bigger :roll:
  • Bassjunkieuk
    itboffin wrote:

I've been wondering how to transport all my bikes, now my flock has grown even bigger :roll:

Personally I'm just planning on buying a coach, I mean if I want to go on a cycling holiday with the family I'll need at least 8 seats, 8 bikes, clothing for us all and provisions........it'd be like a small military operation!!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

Personally I'm just planning on buying a coach, I mean if I want to go on a cycling holiday with the family I'll need at least 8 seats, 8 bikes, clothing for us all and provisions........it'd be like a small military operation!!

8 ???

Am I missing something here, last time we spoke it was 5 + 2
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Unfortunately, I can't now do the HOTA. If anyone would like to take my place, let me know and I'll ask the organisers as I'm not sure substitutions are possible.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    Unfortunately, I can't now do the HOTA. If anyone would like to take my place, let me know and I'll ask the organisers as I'm not sure substitutions are possible.

mmmm? NO no no

No!

mmmm :roll:
  • itboffin wrote:

+1 Especially with things like energy gels (filthy muck) they can really mess with your digestive system...

Golden Rule #2. No more than one bottle of wine the night before. Obviously if you also have more than a couple of pints of beer, this amount of wine may be excessive.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    itboffin wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

mmmm? NO no no

No!

mmmm :roll:

I know, I know. Not wussing out though, I promise. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bassjunkieuk
    itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

8 ???

Am I missing something here, last time we spoke it was 5 + 2

I thought I'd mentioned it at the Xmas do, but then you might have missed that!
    Next Mini-BJUK due early July :D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5