Silly Commuter Sportives

Comments

• itboffin wrote:
    Okay i've signed up for the Dragon, damn you cjcp :D

I'm also signed up for the Evans Chieveley on the 10th Jan. should be nice and cold.

Your an IT boffin? Any thoughts on the unencrypted webpage?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    itboffin wrote:

I'm also signed up for the Evans Chieveley on the 10th Jan. should be nice and cold.

Your an IT boffin? Any thoughts on the unencrypted webpage?

it's fine most of the sportive and cycling (non shopping) website are really badly designed, broken links with homer simpson stylings.

Do it!!!!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    The reference no. suggests I'm no. 555! :shock:

I enjoyed it but really!, 3000+ people the traffic is going to be even worse than this year, the food stops were already manic, i'm very tempted plus the Tour of the Black Mountains is in July and limited to 500, its still £27 though.

I did the black mountains last years as I was born in abergavenny, and my folks live not far still.

Lovely area to ride the Breacon Beacons (nit pick if it was just the black mountains it would be rather short...) and fairly quiet but if your doing it might be worth taking a few tubes, I saw a lot of folks with flats, considering your ability.....

other plus is you don't have to wear a hat if you don't want to.

I prob shouldn't say this but the one time I don't suffer from PF visits is during sportives, well didn't at least :lol:

I really hope you had some wood then....
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    itboffin wrote:

Heh heh. Resistance is futile.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I'd like to do a couple of sportives next year. When you say The Dragon, you mean the one out in Wales in June? Perhaps I should bite the bullet this year and get into the sportives. the only thing that puts me off is getting out to these far flung places north of Watford. I haven't got a car. Anyone need someone to share petrol costs etc from London?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I'd like to do a couple of sportives next year. When you say The Dragon, you mean the one out in Wales in June? Perhaps I should bite the bullet this year and get into the sportives. the only thing that puts me off is getting out to these far flung places north of Watford. I haven't got a car. Anyone need someone to share petrol costs etc from London?

That's the one. The Dragon Ride. There's a good amosphere on sportives, so highly recommend joining in the fun. :)

Re the lift, I'm heading down with JG. I can't offer a lift at this stage as I might be travelling with the kids too, so space could be an issue. Will let you know.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

dragon and black mountains have train stations, I'm uming about it as I never have time to train it. my folks live in wales though east not west. so I'd crash out there.
  • cjcp
    1200 places gone in the Dragon already. Good stuff.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    amnezia wrote:
    Entries for the 2010 Dragon ride are a available from midnight tonight for anyone that might be interested. :wink:

I'm thinking about it but a bit apprehensive as this would be my first and 81 miles would be a challenge and it does look a bit hilly!

I guess most will drive to the event, are there reasonable parking facilities nearby?

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • cjcp
    Benno68 wrote:
    amnezia wrote:
    Entries for the 2010 Dragon ride are a available from midnight tonight for anyone that might be interested. :wink:

I'm thinking about it but a bit apprehensive as this would be my first and 81 miles would be a challenge and it does look a bit hilly!

I guess most will drive to the event, are there reasonable parking facilities nearby?

Benno - it's challenging, yes. The Cimla out of Glyneath is about Leckwith Hill steep, I think, but is a bit longer. The Bwlch and Rhigos are more gradual, but much longer. Plenty of time to train for it, mind. I did it off the back of little training and just after the birth of daughter no. 2.

A few of the lads on here said that the queue for the carpark was a bit of a shocker last year. I'm going for an early, early departure from Penarth...
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    cjcp wrote:
    Benno68 wrote:
    amnezia wrote:

Benno - it's challenging, yes. The Cimla out of Glyneath is about Leckwith Hill steep, I think, but is a bit longer. The Bwlch and Rhigos are more gradual, but much longer. Plenty of time to train for it, mind. I did it off the back of little training and just after the birth of daughter no. 2.

A few of the lads on here said that the queue for the carpark was a bit of a shocker last year. I'm going for an early, early departure from Penarth...

Thanks for the info. I'll have a think and make my mind up by the weekend. It sounds like I'd have to get my ar$e in gear and put some miles in beforehand!

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    I'm signed up for the 130km route. Should be fun..
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    cjcp wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

That's the one. The Dragon Ride. There's a good amosphere on sportives, so highly recommend joining in the fun. :)

Re the lift, I'm heading down with JG. I can't offer a lift at this stage as I might be travelling with the kids too, so space could be an issue. Will let you know.

Wow, taking your own groupies/fans along! Well let me know but I'll look into other travel options as well...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • itboffin
    I was pleasantly surprised this year to see so many supporters on the twisty mountain roads, some even had cow bells.

These may have been actual cows, it was hot!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    itboffin wrote:
    I was pleasantly surprised this year to see so many supporters on the twisty mountain roads, some even had cow bells.

These may have been actual cows, it was hot!

Wales boyo - I think you'll find they were sheep :wink:
  • cjcp
    Wow, taking your own groupies/fans along! Well let me know but I'll look into other travel options as well...

:lol:

Will do. There's a train from Paddigton to Bridgend, then a local train to, I think, Pencoed. An alternative is to stay overnight on the Saturday and ride to the Travelodge/similar from there on Sunday morning. You'll need to book accommodation fast though - it's filling up. I think there's a Travelodge about 3.5 miles from the start line.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • After hearing ITB mention something about sportives at the Xmas bash this year I'm rather tempted by the one formerly known as Highclere......my understanding being those that are doing it are going for the Magnificat :-D
    Looking over the entries I spied a few familiar names and just wanted to check who else is up for this one? It would certainly give me a good target and (if I complete it) nicely tick the century ride box on my personal to-do list :-D
    Not only that it would give me a good reason to go out on "training" rides between now and June!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • cjcp
    I'll be entering it, probably in the New Year.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    I'm in already as you prob know, i'm planning on doing the short route in the next couple of days, Jan miles don't you know :roll:
  • Things are looking up :-) Mrs BJUK asked about "that ride" earlier.......which could mean she's warming to the idea!

Might see how things are in a week or so and then *maybe* sign up, I'd love to give it a try and I think the challenge and discipline for training would do me good, getting back from work today it appears 11 days off the bike plus the increased intake of food and alcohol over Xmas hasn't done me any good :-(
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Jay dubbleU
    Looks interesting - might have a go at the Communicat myself - not really up to 100 milers yet
  • cjcp
    Looks interesting - might have a go at the Communicat myself - not really up to 100 milers yet

A wise approach. It's 126 miles and, if it's hot, a genuine slog. I didn't find the bumps a problem, just the distance in that heat.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Also thinking of The Surrey Rumble on 7 March.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jay dubbleU
    cjcp wrote:

A wise approach. It's 126 miles and, if it's hot, a genuine slog. I didn't find the bumps a problem, just the distance in that heat.

Actually It'll probably be the Kiddicat :roll:
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Anyone else fancy this one? http://pearson150.com/sportif.html

Part of me is thinking 'Do the 75km, you'll have no bother with that'- it will probably be my first event like this after all. and do I really want to climb Ditchling at half-way?- the other half is thinking 'go for the 150km'- 100km isn't exactly a challenge for me any more, at least in terms of distance if not average speed (in the last year, two laps of the IOW, one imperial ton, six or seven other 100km+ rides).
    http://ukcyclingevents.co.uk/ are also running a few in my neck of the woods....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Ah crikey : that's torn it : I've just entered the Dragon Ride 190km.

It's the day after my 54th birthday so will make a lovely present.
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I've done it, bitten the bullet and signed up for the Magnificat while Mrs BJUK was giving me the go-ahead and before she changed her mind.....
    Now I just need to persuade my parents to have the children for the weekend and me and the Mrs can have a nice weekend away!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Now then, now then, now then,

Given that Evans have cancelled this weekend's Chieveley Icefest, refunded my dosh and offered me a discount off another RideIt event....anyone up for this one ?

http://www.evanscycles.com/ride-it/watlington-the-chilterns-6th-7th-march-2010

I'll probably just do the Medium 60 miler...
    Misguided Idealist
  • cjcp
    More places being released for the Dragon in case anyone's interested:

http://www.verentidragonride.com/

EDIT: sorry, it's for the short route :oops:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Doh! Was a bit indecisive re the Dragon this year so no place for me. Will need to find some new challenges now.