Silly Commuter Sportives

Comments

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I just looked at the Marmotte - man that's scary - good luck guys
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    edited December 2009
    So if I was to enter flanders (not Ned) which bike would be better the Ribble sportive or the new Grand Fondo?

or are they the same frame with different paint jobs?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    itboffin wrote:
    So if I was to enter flanders (not Ned) which bike would be better the Ribble sportive or the new Grand Fondo?

It's not about the bike. :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Hey it's a tactic plus if it looks like one of my existing bikes, she'll never know :wink:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

Hey it's a tactic plus if it looks like one of my existing bikes, she'll never know :wink:

I've used my Scott on both occasions. Perfectly comfortable, but I rode with a guy who was on a steel Colnago. He used 25mm Gatorskins, I used 23mm GP4000Ss.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I've used my Scott on both occasions. Perfectly comfortable, but I rode with a guy who was on a steel Colnago. He used 25mm Gatorskins, I used 23mm GP4000Ss.

But the Scott is carbon right and everyone knows steel is fab at absorbing buzz, but alu sucks when it comes to rough roads as I can contest :?

I call NEW BIKE!!!
  • cjcp
    Here it comes...

M
    T F
    U

Plenty of people over there riding alu bikes.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    cjcp wrote:
    Here it comes...

M
    T F
    U

Why must you be so boring CJ? :P

Get a new bike ITB, you know your life won't be complete until you mount some carbon...

dooooo iiiitttttttttt
  • Jay dubbleU
    Surely ali doesn't matter if you have carbon forks ?
  • cjcp
    Surely ali doesn't matter if you have carbon forks ?

The buzz comes up through the stays and seat tube, through the seat post too. And there's a fair amount of it on them there cobbles.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jay dubbleU
    Surely that's part of the pleasure :wink: or does that just apply to gurls ?
  • cjcp
    :shock: :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    itboffin wrote:
    Evans cycles organise regular social sportive style rides and even offer demo bikes, i've just signed up for the 10th Jan 100km Chieveley sportive and a demo Trek Madone 5.2 :D

And it only cost £10 to enter :D

I'm in !
    Feck I hope it's thawed by then....
    Misguided Idealist
  • Jay dubbleU
    Anyone had their confirmation email for Cheiverley yet ?
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    cjcp wrote:
    Here it comes...

M
    T F
    U

Why must you be so boring CJ? :P

Get a new bike ITB, you know your life won't be complete until you mount some carbon...

dooooo iiiitttttttttt

Know nothing about them as you will see from my posting

But they sure are purdy.

Bike Radar Ti Club
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • cjcp
    Oooo, how I'd like a Ti bike.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Entries for the 2010 Dragon ride are a available from midnight tonight for anyone that might be interested. :wink:
  • cjcp
    amnezia wrote:
    Entries for the 2010 Dragon ride are a available from midnight tonight for anyone that might be interested. :wink:

Yep. I'm in for that one. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    £30 notes that's a bit steep
  • cjcp
    Entries opened early! JG and I are in. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    Entries opened early! JG and I are in. :)

But did you get no. 1 we started behind him this year, talk about wearing a target on your back.
  • cjcp
    The reference no. suggests I'm no. 555! :shock:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    Whilst we're talking about sportives, is anyone interested in giving the Tour of Wessex a bash, in case you didn't know it's in three stages, which you can choose 1, 2 or all 3
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:

I enjoyed it but really!, 3000+ people the traffic is going to be even worse than this year, the food stops were already manic, i'm very tempted plus the Tour of the Black Mountains is in July and limited to 500, its still £27 though.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Tour of Wessex is 27.00 or 75.00 for all three days
  • cjcp
    The VFM issue is often raised in relation to UK sportives.

@ITB - I think it might be a really early rise. Yuk.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

I enjoyed it but really!, 3000+ people the traffic is going to be even worse than this year, the food stops were already manic, i'm very tempted plus the Tour of the Black Mountains is in July and limited to 500, its still £27 though.

I did the black mountains last years as I was born in abergavenny, and my folks live not far still.

Lovely area to ride the Breacon Beacons (nit pick if it was just the black mountains it would be rather short...) and fairly quiet but if your doing it might be worth taking a few tubes, I saw a lot of folks with flats, considering your ability.....

other plus is you don't have to wear a hat if you don't want to.
  • Haven't entered the Dragon yet because my pages show as not secure/encrypted. Anyone else having that issue?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

I did the black mountains last years as I was born in abergavenny, and my folks live not far still.

Lovely area to ride the Breacon Beacons (nit pick if it was just the black mountains it would be rather short...) and fairly quiet but if your doing it might be worth taking a few tubes, I saw a lot of folks with flats, considering your ability.....

other plus is you don't have to wear a hat if you don't want to.

I prob shouldn't say this but the one time I don't suffer from PF visits is during sportives, well didn't at least :lol:
  • itboffin
    Okay i've signed up for the Dragon, damn you cjcp :D

I'm also signed up for the Evans Chieveley on the 10th Jan. should be nice and cold.