Silly Commuter Sportives

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited February 2014 in Commuting chat
I know it's against the rules but clearly there are a fair few of us on here that have or would like to enter sportives, having personally crossed the line from hybrid commuter to wanna be pro I thought it might be nice to share some of my/our better stories and plans for the new year.

I've been very lucky having met a great bunch of friendly and supportive people from this very thread who encourage me to attend a couple of RP social rides then take the icy plunge at the beginning of this year with the snow bound Hell of Ashdown sportive, whilst probably not the best first sportive but it did provide me with a target to train for over the winter and as I discovered a new way to motive myself. If you've not attended one of the SCR events or even met this rag tag bunch then suggest you take a look here http://www.cyclosport.org/events2010.aspx at next years sportive season events, there's bound to be one near to you so why not post your interest you never know someone else lurking on here might also be thinking of attending.

Trust me it's so much more fun in company and scalping is generally put on hold for the duration :lol:

So this is what i'm considering ATM

The HELL of the ASHDOWN Challenge
31/01/2010, Biggin Hill - Ashdown Forest

North Cornwall Tor
16/05/2010, Bodmin, Cornwall

Kiron Dragon Ride Wales
06/06/2010, South Wales

The MagnifiCat (WTF they've moved the venue) :shock:
13/06/2010, Newbury Racecourse, Berkshire

The Dartmoor Classic
27/06/2010, Dartmoor National Park

The Anthony Maynard Sportive (comes past my house) :)
18/07/2010, Reading

Edit: Three Peaks Cyclo Cross Race - September
Both the New Forest rides and the Test Valley tour

Possibly more, we'll see how the winter training goes :wink:
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    My list of definates so far are

HOTA
    The Puncheur
    Fred Whitton Challenge
    Dave Lloyd Mega Challenge
    Kiron Dragon Ride or the Tour of Pembrokeshire
    Legs of Steel

They're always a great fun and give the training some focus :lol:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I've never done one, but I'd like to. It'd be nice to do a Silly commuter sportive and put some faces to usernames.

Finaces may be limiting though next year with a new bambino
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    Our "navigator" from Bristol Radars has designed a metric 100 taking in ALL of the major climbs in our area. He is a sick puppy!

It has been suggested that we invite allcomers to join us when we decide to do it, so whilst not an official Sportive, it would certainly be a challenging run and could offer a chance for some forum only SCR action :twisted:
    us0.png
  • itboffin
    I might also add that there are several totally flat sportives down here in the SW each year, around the new forest alas I was unable to attend either work + injury but they do sound like the kinda perfect venues for a mass SCR sportive ride.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I did the tour of the black mountains last year, nice area ( I grew up there ) but very quickly spread out too much which did beg the question for me, if i'm going to do a sportive I need more than just a route, so i'd be very intrested in a more social aspect.

so i'm looking at hell of ashdown.

and maybe some others as I'm poo at pacing i'd be looking at 60/90 miles really.

dragon maybe, I'll look at what tickles my fancy.

but I think I'd get a lot more out of it with others.
  • itboffin
    FeynmanC wrote:
    Our "navigator" from Bristol Radars has designed a metric 100 taking in ALL of the major climbs in our area. He is a sick puppy!

It has been suggested that we invite allcomers to join us when we decide to do it, so whilst not an official Sportive, it would certainly be a challenging run and could offer a chance for some forum only SCR action :twisted:

Very good idea, we have a SCR sportive club/team which was very successful this year, we almost managed a ride each month hosted by one or 'nother members on this forum.

Actually where is Jen J these days :lol:
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    These two sound "fun".

Skye Mor and Beag
    Cairngorm 100/50
  • Me & Daniel B are entered for the Highclere sportive in 2010 - although we're disappointed they've moved the venue to Newbury Racecourse...

Highclere Castle was an amazing place to start and finish, and although the Racecourse is much closer for us to get to, I'm wondering where the route's going to go to get 1500 riders out of Newbury safely (I'm assuming the council won't agree to anything as extravagant as road closures - there was enough fuss made over the closures for the Tour of Britiain!!)

Still, we're determined to better our time of last year :D
    FCN 10
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    What JG said in an earlier thread:

HOTA
    Dragon: 6th June 2010
    Highclere: 13th June 2010
    taper
    Marmotte: 3rd July 2010

plus maybe Three Peaks Cyclo Cross Race - September.

@ITB - maybe insert "2010" into the thread title?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I tend to do sportives with Bike Events www.bikeevents.com. They have been very well organised in the past.

My plan is Suffolk Coast
    Then the Wessex 100 (providing they start in Salisbury this time).

Then I am planning the ultimate sportive - End to End. I am just sorting out the logistics and trying to convince a couple of mates but this seems the best option: www.rideacrossbritain.com There are only spaces for 2011 but I feel up to it next year so exploring other options such as this: http://www.bikeadventures.co.uk/supportendtoend1.html I am looking at doing it in 9 days. Anybody else planning an End to End? Any advice on good supported packages is most welcome?
    Marin Highway One
    Trek 7.5FX
  • RedJohn
    RedJohn Posts: 272
    -null- wrote:
    These two sound "fun".

Skye Mor and Beag
    Cairngorm 100/50

The Skye one sounds ... challenging ...

The Cairngorm one ... f****g h***fire ... it's hard enough driving up those roads, so that climb at the end of 100 miles :evil: ... Might be up for a try at that actually :)
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    What JG said in an earlier thread:

HOTA
    Dragon: 6th June 2010
    Highclere: 13th June 2010
    taper
    Marmotte: 3rd July 2010

plus maybe Three Peaks Cyclo Cross Race - September.

@ITB - maybe insert "2010" into the thread title?

What's this taper sportive you talk of :wink:

Oh and if I can get a place i'm def up for the three peaks :shock:
  • I did the Anthony Maynard sportive this year and it was very well organised and not nearly as hilly as they said (advertised as 1700m of climb on the medium route - mapmyride and my legs reckoned nearer 1100m).

I also did the Etape Caledonia which was spectacularly beautiful but marred by the tack incident and also by the huge amount of faffage to actually get there with a bike (borrow bike box, get enormous bike box home with no car, dismantle bike, get enormous bike box to airport, fly, rent car, drive, try to put bike back together. fail. cry. find random dude to help, ride sportive, dismantle bike, drive, return rental car, fly, get home with enormous bike box, return enormous bike box to friend etc etc)

Woodcote sportive was ace - thoroughly recommend. Dunsfold is EVIL. If you like hills, it's certainly your sportive. I don't.

So next year :

Hell of the Ashdown (Jan)

Time Megeve Mont Blanc (June)

Anthony Maynard (July)

Woodcote Sportive (Aug)

Ride of the Falling Leaves (Oct)

Dunsfold (Oct)

Looks like I need something else in March / April time. humn.... a holiday maybe?
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    This year I've done:

HOTA
    London Phoenix Sportive
    Hampshire HIlly Hundred
    Little Lumpy
    Isle of Wight Randonee
    Ride of the Falling Leaves

I'll probably do all of those again this year but am throwing in the Maritona and some nice hilly ones to prepare for that so maybe the Cheshire Cat or something.
  • cjcp
    Maratona? Cool. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    cjcp wrote:
    Maratona? Cool. :)

Aye, my first overseas sportive. Should be good :D
  • 2010 definite:

HOTA (Jan)
    Tour of Flanders (Apr)
    Dragon Ride (Jun)
    L'etape (Jul)

And possibles after advice from others in the other thread:
    Fred Whitton (May)
    Tour of Pembrokeshire (Jun)
    Highclere (Jun)

Can't really see past L'etape at the moment, but will probably want to do some later in the year as well.
  • cjcp
    SoL - there's the Tour of the Black Mountains towards the end of July.

You planning to do the 140k route at Flanders?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • HOTA for me and after that I am undecided. Dragon has to be an option but a bit miffed that the Premier Inn is already booked as I'd set my heart on that after last year's well desrved beer(s) on the lawn outside, afterwards... Whilst it would be good to try and better this year's time, not sure whether to try something different, esp as the Highclere is the week before/after annd I have no chance of doing both. The Fred, the Caledonia and the Dartmoor are all tempting. And then there's l'Etape... :?
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    edited March 2010
  • cjcp wrote:

By the end of July I will probably be flat on my back on a beach somewhere in southern france or northern spain. L'etape is 21 July and after that I am on hols. Going to catch the TdF to Tourmalet on 25/7, then probably down to La Franqui on the Med.

I would like to attempt the 260K at Flanders but the 140 might be more realistic at that point. I think you can decide on the day.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    May I also mention the Circuit Of The Cotswolds? Took place 2 weeks after Highclere this year. Mostly straightforward and well organised, but IMO you can only really say you've done it if you get up Bushcombe Lane without walking!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    Yeah I wanna do one, am aiming for a easyish ride sometime in June...not sure which one yet though.
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:

By the end of July I will probably be flat on my back on a beach somewhere in southern france or northern spain. L'etape is 21 July and after that I am on hols. Going to catch the TdF to Tourmalet on 25/7, then probably down to La Franqui on the Med.

I would like to attempt the 260K at Flanders but the 140 might be more realistic at that point. I think you can decide on the day.

Ah, I see. Didn't realise it was that late. Am about to start reading an article on the route in this week's Cycling Weekly. The author of the article spent nearly 4.5 hrs climbing. Ye Gods! :shock:

You can register on the day, but if you want to do the 260k, and you're not getting to the start line independently, I *think* you have to book your place on the coach to the start line in advance. Best check that though.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Just booked place for Hell of the Ashdown - 9am start time for me. Will make a nice break from the marathon training!
  • I've just paid too, also 9am (coincidence).

Should I cycle to the start line or is that just being silly? (12 miles)
  • just booked for HOTA too - went for 9am as seemed like a good time.

I am going to have to cycle to the start as I don't have a car and there isn't a train anywhere terribly handy. I'm more worried about the cycling home bit though!
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    9am here as well...

The easiest train to/from London is either Bromley South, or Hayes. Hayes has slow stopping services via London Bridge, whilst most Bromley South trains end up at London Victoria. Bromley South has the most and fast services and is the one I tend to use when not riding all the way in. It's 8 miles from the start, uphill I'm afraid. At least going home will be much easier.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Booked my space, 8:55 for me

Now just debating whether I ride to the start or not, it would be a nice warm up, but I don't fancy the 20 miles or so home, sfterwards :shock: Maybe common sense should prevail this time :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Anyone willing to check my .gpx?

http://www.londonskaters.com/cycling/He ... shdown.gpx

I guess I should do the alternative ice route as well...