Silly Commuter Sportives

Comments

• cjcp mentionned Highclere in his post - just curious.

What is happening in Highclere & when as I live there....? Don't want to crash a private party or anything but if you are looking for some good trails I know most of them in the area...

Thanks
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    cjcp mentionned Highclere in his post - just curious.

What is happening in Highclere & when as I live there....? Don't want to crash a private party or anything but if you are looking for some good trails I know most of them in the area...

Thanks

This one: http://www.cyclegb.co.uk/

A challenging day in the saddle.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Entries for the New Forest Spring Sportive (Brockenhurst April 18th) now on sale
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Wiggl ... 360048157/
    Might have a go at the standard route...
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    I'm starting at 9am - so I'll see you whizz past me at some stage no doubt! Be nice to the girl on the Orca who's looking shattered please...

Same start time here, I'll be on the low carbon fibre recumbent. Hope to say hi.

I've also got slightly sweaty palms thinking about Sunday. Starting straight away with Cudham Test Hill!!!!!!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Good luck tomorrow my fellow sportif's

I hope you've all services your bikes (snow mobils) super carb loaded, well hydrated and are tucked up in bed nice and early.

I'll be thinking of you all tomorrow, have a blast i'm sure it will be great whatever the weather.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • So, I've:

• Printed off entry email and route map
    • Cleaned the machine
    • Inflated tyres to 120psi
    • Set brakes to hair trigger
    • Filled water bottle with energy drink
    • Put a gel in back pocket
    • Made sure saddle bag has the essentials(tube / tool / levers / CO2 pump/ £20 / Oyster / debit card )
    • Drunk 3 pints Erdinger and 3 large glasses red wine

Have I forgotten anything?

Also, who else is starting at 9am?

And, anyone fancy lunch/beers after at 2-3pm?
  • itboffin
    The cafe type place and the start/finish was revolting although I did spot a couple of pubs very near by :wink:
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I'm dreading tomorow, been nursing the mother of all hangovers today so might not be fully hydrated yet. Carb loadings been no problem though, i've bean eating like a horse all day!

I'm off at 10'ish as I've arranged to ride with Attica, I'll have to try and blag my way to a later starting time as officially I'm meant to start at 9
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • itboffin
    Rich158 wrote:
    I'm dreading tomorow, been nursing the mother of all hangovers today so might not be fully hydrated yet. Carb loadings been no problem though, i've bean eating like a horse all day!

I'm off at 10'ish as I've arranged to ride with Attica, I'll have to try and blag my way to a later starting time as officially I'm meant to start at 9

tee hee from the Morpeth I hope :wink:
  • cjcp
    Yeah, good luck, chaps
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    About to fettle bike, should I go with my good bike, or my winter bike? I'm down for a 9am start.
  • cjcp
    Which is your winter bike?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    MatHammond wrote:
    About to fettle bike, should I go with my good bike, or my winter bike? I'm down for a 9am start.

Go with winter bike assuming you've been riding it this winter, last year there were a lot of old steel and winter steeds.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    MatHammond wrote:

Take The Iron Horse (from your Flickr stream) I imagine that'll have the gears you'll need ;-)

Good luck HOTA's I'll be thinking of you, but steering well clear of those hills, on my ride tomorrow morning :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • bigmat
    Haha not the ridgeback, that would be a bit extreme - I have an aluminium framed Prorace racer with Mirage 9 speed.
  • cjcp
    MatHammond wrote:
    Haha not the ridgeback, that would be a bit extreme - I have an aluminium framed Prorace racer with Mirage 9 speed.

Yeah, take that.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:

Yeah, take that.

I thought you was doing the HOTA???
  • bigmat
    Makes sense, even though the lure of carbon bling is strong...
  • cjcp
    itboffin wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:

Yeah, take that.

I thought you was doing the HOTA???

I was, but not any more, unfortunately.

@Mat - I only used my Scott last year because I hadn't got round to fitting a front mech to my then alu commuter .
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I'm starting at 9am too - and have also been fighting a hangover all day after a thirsty night out at The Bedford comedy night last night.

I am woefully unprepared. EEK.

But quick question... Do I take the new carbon orbea (which has a compact) or the Monoc (which doesn't)???

I think the alu is probably the more sensible plan, given the potential for ice. But the new shiny bike is talking to me.
  • bigmat
    :shock: I was in the Bedford last night!
  • hilarious... small world... but I'm guessing you didn't consume quite the KEGS of beer that I did...

Are you leaving Carbon at home?
  • bigmat
    It was pub one of a three pub crawl, drank more than I should have - reckon I'll go metal, given the risk of crashing.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    itboffin wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:

tee hee from the Morpeth I hope :wink:

Unfortunately not, that one's for next Saturday :wink:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • ah. I did the drink lots, get home at 2am, spend all day eating stuff made of carbohydrate or fat and drinking coffee thing. Perfect preparation for a sportive. NOT.

Humn. I think I should probably stick with the alu, as you say. t'would be a shame to crash th new bike on first sportive.

see you in the morning!
  • itboffin
    I dont think you people are taking this seriously enough :lol::lol::lol:

Might add that this time last year I was preparing for my very first sportive :lol::lol::lol:

Mmmm beer good, just throw another couple of logs on the fire and settle in for a late nights of movies, beer & choc

Also planning a power-pootle 50m tomorrow or not...
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    I'd almost rather have had a hangover today. Instead I've done a 43 mile ride and spent all day skating. Oh, and sweeping grit off the road by the Albert Memorial.

My legs are well tired now, and I'm *VERY* glad I have a 27" bottom gear and a triple. I've just taken all the commuting heavies off my bike too.
  • itboffin
    I hear it was an icy one today over at the HOTA, hope you're all okay
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Just on the way home from
    Hota. Lanes were very icy today, had to get off and walk in some places. Hills were tough but doable.
  • Thanks for asking ITB - as amnezia says, LOTS of rivers of ice on the roads which made it a smidge interesting in parts. I was very glad I was on my old bike. So I reckon all the walking and gingerly descending will have effected my time - certainly it wasn't anything I'm particularly proud of.

But hey, went to Hell and back and survived. And for January, I guess that's not bad!