Silly Commuter Sportives

Comments

• fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    That was hard...

personally I think the organisers were wrong not to move from the original rouyte to a low ice version... There was too much and I had a couple of offs

Stuart
  • Well done!

I demand a more detailed review!
  • I agree fidbod - I'm not sure just how icy it'd have to be before they moved it to the "icy conditions route"???

LIT - seriously, rivers of ice about 2-3 metres long, frequently - say once a mile? And there was a stretch of about 2 miles where it was just non -stop ice. Quite scary.

Otherwise, it was well organised with clear signposting (well, I thought so but bumped into JonGinge at the end and apparently he managed a vigorous 45 min detour). Hot drinks available at feedstations and all the feedstations at places with loos which cheered me up (girly comment, I know!).

The hills were fairly unrelenting - basically always going up or down - but I got up all of them with standard double gearing so it wasn't THAT bad. Just felt endless..
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Have to say CC really don't give a damn, that's why I'll never be doing that sportive ever again, so tell me what was the food and water situation like?

I hope it was better than last year because the poor org last year almost killed my sportive desires before they got of the ground.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    I was out this afternoon- lot of icy patches on the country lanes down here (well, lower reaches of the South Downs, so also 'up there'), must have been tricky in Kent, so well done indeed.
    Trying to do that route on a standard double would kill me I think!!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • That was tough and unrelenting.

As the others have said the ice was really treacherous in places, but then there were other times when you'd go 5 miles or so and hardly see any at all.

I thought the marshaling, sign-posting and feed stations were great. The second feed station really saved my bacon as my bidon was empty and I was at the ragged edge by that point. Stocked up on 'nanas and mule bars, drained a bidon of isotonic and that saw me through fine to the end.

I had six miles or so each way from the station so I ended up doing 80 miles, feeling it now.

Next time I think I'll do more training....
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    itboffin wrote:
    Have to say CC really don't give a damn, that's why I'll never be doing that sportive ever again, so tell me what was the food and water situation like?

I hope it was better than last year because the poor org last year almost killed my sportive desires before they got of the ground.

The feed stations were pretty poor to be honest, no energy drink, very little water and pretty much only banana's. Some of the worst stocked feed stations I've ever come across :shock:

I had a good ride with Attica, cheers dude. Not great times due to the icy conditions, but I didn't think the hills were too bad and only dropped into my small ring for Kidds Hill which pleased me no end :lol:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • itboffin
    Yep i'm thinking HOTA is the worst sportive in the UK, some one tell me otherwise....

Banana's alone and barely any fluids do not count as good food stations, plus putting your food stops in really exposed locations in Jan FFS people how stupid are you!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Rich158 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

The feed stations were pretty poor to be honest, no energy drink, very little water and pretty much only banana's. Some of the worst stocked feed stations I've ever come across :shock:

I had a good ride with Attica, cheers dude. Not great times due to the icy conditions, but I didn't think the hills were too bad and only dropped into my small ring for Kidds Hill which pleased me no end :lol:

The feeding station thing sucks- still thinking of doing the Wiggle-sponsored New Forest one on April 18, hope that's run a bit better.
    At the IOW Randonnee last year, the Bembridge stop ran out of tea......!!!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Rich158 wrote:

I think you must have gone round after me, cos when I was there each of the feed stations had as many mule bars, gels, isotonic drinks & 'nanas as you wanted. I certainly took my fair share (sorry!). I guess they ran out?

Can't compare it to anything else as it was my first one but it seemed pretty well run to me.
  • I would have been pretty blimming peeved if they didn't have water/isotonic when I got there tbh!
  • Rich158 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I didn't think the feed stations were that bad. The first one in a village hall and the second had some shelter too - the Evans Ride it sportives just had water and a bit of flapjack - this had coffee / mule bars / bananas / water - really all I think you need from a feed station?
  • itboffin
    StuAff wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

The feeding station thing sucks- still thinking of doing the Wiggle-sponsored New Forest one on April 18, hope that's run a bit better.

The wiggle ones will be very good, might even have free sweets

I'm so tempted to run my own Jan sportive, I mean how much money are the CC making from the HOTA?

Free marshals and limited food, okay registration was easy and well organised but how much could that cost?

Clearly sportives don't do closed roads usually, so what a couple of printed signs.... mmmm!

Which charity do they support?
  • itboffin
    Rich158 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I didn't think the feed stations were that bad. The first one in a village hall and the second had some shelter too - the Evans Ride it sportives just had water and a bit of flapjack - this had coffee / mule bars / bananas / water - really all I think you need from a feed station?

You should try the dragon ride those feed stations rock, they had everything including cakes & crisps, a choice of SIS drinks there might have even been sausage rolls I forget, anyway it was good, we're expected to pay a lot for these events they should provide MORE I WANT MORE :evil:
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    StuAff wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

To be honest StuAff, that was about the worst I've come across. Generally water and energy drink is the order of the day along with banana's, cakes and various sandwiches/rolls. The Southern Sportive series have always been very good in that respect, as have most of the larger ones I've done. I think a well stocked feed station is the minimum people expect for their money these days, and tbh most do deliver
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Hey guys,

just arrived a couple of hours ago from HOTA.

What a day! Very well organised IMO, the sign on was painless and quick. Arrived late so didn't have any time to search for BikeRadar members. Started at 10.00 and took me in riding time 5h and 20min but I was smashed. Hardest sportive I've done, The Wall is absolutely soul destroying. The face as I got to the top must have been something, the photographer didn't even take a picture!!! Anyway, the route was fantastic but the fact that there was those sheets of ice that others have described was a disappointment as you really had to watch out and it was very hairy numerous times. Saw Morgan (Sewniman) during the ride (behind me by the way :lol:) but couldn't see distinguish any other members.

My legs are not used to this kind of thing though, in Cambridge there are barely any hills but there it was almost impossible to have a flat section.

Feeding stations were great and I started at 10.00. Free energy drinks, water, tea, coffee, nanas, mule bars.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I really quite enjoyed HOTA. Odd I know but it was my first long ride of the year so just felt good to be riding.

Hats off to Christophe for driving me there and back and for saying upfront that I could go at my own pace. This I duly did but with a twinge of guilt. That faded rather quickly as I attempted to keep up with another rider. He was a bit stronger than I was but I kept about 10m back for the first 20miles, mainly gaining the gap back on the descents. Then he slowed and I took the lead. It was about this time I went off course. I just didn't see the arrows. However, shortly afterwards there were arrows (from another event, I guess, in retrospect) and I followed those until they ran out at a roundabout. Two other groups also went wrong and we joined forces to eventually (after a couple of wrong attempts) get back on course using the route plan and garmin navigation :) It cost me about 45mins

I worked with my fellow off-coursers until the last major climb (Star Hill). I remembered from last year that the last five miles were a blast. They didn't disappoint. I finished the ride happy.

The ice was interesting ;) It made some of the descents and even some of the ascents very sketchy. I had a couple of 'whoa' moments but that's about it. Orange lenses are rubbish at picking out slush and ice and I got a few surprises. Lesson learned.

After the ride I bumped into LondonLivvy briefly and then set up camp in the HQ cafeteria. I was soon joined by Rob and his very charming +1, Rich and Christophe. We then adjourned to the pub :)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • itboffin
    The pub :shock: i'm shocked, I spent my afternoon drinking beer then wine - it was ace!

Is ace :D
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Chapeau, chaps and chapettes. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    The route was very good, really enjoyed the first half. The second half i spent a lot of time out on my own and was less fun. Computer says 4:56 riding time but with 2 stops i rolled in 5hr 11min officially, not great but not terrible considering the ice.

Organization at the start was very good. i thought there possibly could of been a few more marshals. in parts its felt like i went for miles without seeing another rider or marshal, several times i wasn't sure if i was still on the right route.

Food stations were okay, if you didn't like bananas you would have been in trouble. There was only limited water at the last feed station when i went through.

All in all i enjoyed it, was nice first event of the year.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Well done peps! After my small outting later in the morning (set off around 11:30) where I headed over towards Farnborough Hospital the roads didn't appear to be too bad, although I do remember quite a bit of ice in the gutters......
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    Well done everyone who made it to HOTA.

FWIW I thought the organisation was pretty good - marshalling was certainly excellent. The feedstations were ok and my goodness I was glad to have a couple of sugary coffees at the second feedstation.

The wall was truly horrible but it was the only really bad hill, all though others were a case of grit your teeth and get on with it.

I find myself perplexed by the commercial photographers would wait to snap you at the top a big climb. The last thing I want when I am dying in small increments up a hill is for someone to take my photo and I certainly won't be buying and unwatermarked version.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    I'm a bit gutted - I had to DNF in the last 15km, my derailleur tore off in a stunning explosion at about 30mph on the descent to the A25. Guess I'm quite lucky my rear wheel doesn't have spokes!! The ice was quite exciting, I'm a little surprised they still ran the same route given the conditions. Quite a few sideways moments at low speed.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    fidbod wrote:
    I find myself perplexed by the commercial photographers would wait to snap you at the top a big climb. The last thing I want when I am dying in small increments up a hill is for someone to take my photo and I certainly won't be buying and unwatermarked version.

I suppose it's the only time the riders are moving slow enough (with the possible exception of JG ;-)) - I had the same on the Capital to Coast, 1 photographer at the top of the last climb and another one at the finish line, at least the ones at the finish line where taken after you'd had a fast decent to town!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Well done guys - freezing and icy here so not ideal conditions I guess - still think how easy the next one will be :wink:
    Those of us who missed it will be still catching up on fitness in April
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Ouch!

Well that was a laugh, really enjoyed it and I thought it was quite well organised. I was given plenty of mule bars and even a free inner tube to replace the one i punctured.

Pace was leisurely to say the least and I got lost for a mile or two (thanks to the driver who told me to turn around), plus the puncture, so my final time was 6 hours 19 mins (5.38 on Garmin)! :lol: I loved it too and managed to cycle up all the hills, although I stopped on 'the Wall' and on 'Star Hill' as I was about to have a coronary.

Highlights - seeing on guying puking up. The bloke who did it in jeans, old bike, clipless and wearing a bobble hat. Getting home to find I had one leg covered in blood and a hole in my leg and not having felt doing it!

Did not see anyone apart fro Gabriel, sad i missed the pub...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/23702754
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    BentMikey wrote:
    I'm a bit gutted - I had to DNF in the last 15km, my derailleur tore off in a stunning explosion at about 30mph on the descent to the A25. Guess I'm quite lucky my rear wheel doesn't have spokes!! The ice was quite exciting, I'm a little surprised they still ran the same route given the conditions. Quite a few sideways moments at low speed.

Good to meet you at last Mikey, shame about the circumstances.
    How is your "BentBikey" (sorry, couldn't resist)

That looked like a very expensive mechanical. Did you get back OK?

I shall post at length later about my ride, but I had quite an encounter with an irate motorist on Star Hill
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Hopefully it's just a new derailleur hanger, so not too serious unless there's more damage I've not spotted yet. Challenge (the manufacturer) have hopefully just posted me two - how's that for excellent customer service!!!!

Sorry to hear you had a nasty moton experience. What happened? There were certainly a few impatient and angry motons around yesterday, but not too many thankfully.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Attica wrote:
    BentMikey wrote:

Good to meet you at last Mikey, shame about the circumstances.
    How is your "BentBikey" (sorry, couldn't resist)

That looked like a very expensive mechanical. Did you get back OK?

I shall post at length later about my ride, but I had quite an encounter with an irate motorist on Star Hill

Saw a motorist get out a car and grab by the arm on Star Hill, was that you?
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    As I was climbing Star Hill I drew level with a guy, I was unable to pass him as we were both being slowed by the car in front who was in turn being slowed by another rider further up the road.

A car drew level with us and started squeezing us in, so I gave him a slap on the wing just to let him know I was there in the main. The driver was far from happy with this and started revving and wheel spinning like a loon.

The guy on my inside dropped back and the car in front opened up a gap, matey behind in the car, screeched round and tried to run me off the road, I continued on the gravel past this guy and the car in front (strange what an adrenalin rush can do for you) and thought "phew, maybe that will give him time to cool off", Bzzt wrong!

Eventually the traffic cleared and again this imbecile screeched round me and skidded to a halt in front of me. I rode around the diagonally parked car and continued on, hearing the door open and a woman's voice screaming "Phil, leave it" It could have been Peggy Mitchell I didn't look. I started thinking "uh-oh, this isn't going to go well when I felt his hand touch my arm, but managed to unclip before it got messy. (Bear in mind this was near the top of the last climb of the day, running faster than me was probably quite easy).

He shouted some rubbish about what was I doing, I talked over him, asking why he was overtaking me when I there was no room in front and why he was squeezing us, he turned and walked off telling me to "grow up and get a car", all the while his wife was screaming at him and his children were looking on in shock.

I shook my head and rode on, grinning my best grin at his rear view mirror as he yet again wheelspun past me.

I just wish I'd had the presence of mind to ask him "If you're in such a rush, why have you stopped your car?" Pillock.

I made a point of relaying this story to the organisers at the end, I just hope they don't get any negative publicity out of it. I felt kind of responsible seeing as I was carrying a race number.

EDIT, Yep Amnezia, that was me
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"