Silly Commuter Sportives

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    @BJ are you suggesting I might have been slightly worse for wear?

Look at these recently discovered very poor quality iphone snaps

4290896873_0cb5e4e51d_m.jpg

4290896315_846d670f5c_m.jpg

Keep still god damn you and take your award like a man :lol:

4291634934_feab33c6b1_m.jpg

4290895247_cc92b14ae3_m.jpg

4291633962_f39189e901_m.jpg

Old skool, passing on the baton to the younger (much younger) generation

4291633484_9095a1d9af_m.jpg

Look at them.... sick with envy, especially the one on the far left I'm sure i've seen his mug on crime watch.

4291632566_0b980140b1_m.jpg
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Oi !

I look sick because I'm still recovering from your tonsil rape earlier that evening.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • itboffin
    Holy cow batman have you HOTA nutters seen the forecast for this weekend

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/7da ... gin%20hill

Looks like snow on Sat. and seriously fecked up cold stuff on Sun. brrrrrr!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :shock:

Oh wait, I'm not doing it, so

:lol::mrgreen:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    itboffin wrote:

0.2mm? pah!

That said, I will be carefully checking the forecast beforehand. By Saturday it'll be way more accurate.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • itboffin
    Attica wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

0.2mm? pah!

That said, I will be carefully checking the forecast beforehand. By Saturday it'll be way more accurate.

I will be drinking beer and stoking the fire (no pun intended) and laughing at your personal torture :lol: HA HA HA HA HA!

Nutters!!!!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Back in the game for Highclere. The visa came through this evening. :D
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I don't know about anyone else who's doing HOTA this Sunday, but I have the fear. It turns out that I have all the kit but am still a bit sh1t...

But on a practical note, I just worked out it's a 10 mile ride to the start from my house in SE London. Does anyone know of a more cunning public transport solution to get me somewhat closer so I don't use up all my mojo before even starting the damn thing?
  • itboffin
    cjcp wrote:
    Back in the game for Highclere. The visa came through this evening. :D

Good show old man :wink:
  • itboffin
    I don't know about anyone else who's doing HOTA this Sunday, but I have the fear. It turns out that I have all the kit but am still a bit sh1t...

But on a practical note, I just worked out it's a 10 mile ride to the start from my house in SE London. Does anyone know of a more cunning public transport solution to get me somewhat closer so I don't use up all my mojo before even starting the damn thing?

I'd go with the 10 miles warm up you're all gonna need it :lol:

Here's a reminder of last years "light" snow forecast
    3245585552_95cb7dc207_b.jpg

3312965503_2755679590_b.jpg
  • I don't know about anyone else who's doing HOTA this Sunday, but I have the fear. It turns out that I have all the kit but am still a bit sh1t...

It's about 12 miles for me, I did it last weekend and the last few miles are uphill almost all the way. I think I'm going to get the train from Ladywell to Hayes, and from there I think it is about 6 miles. Get yourself to Hayes or Bromley South, it's 5-6 miles from either of those. There is no station in Biggin Hill and I think that's as close as you can get by rail.

I did the first two and last two climbs of the HOTA in as part of a 65 mile loop from home. It's nasty!
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    The weather will be a great leveller, as will the fact that most people will have been on the christmas pies and out of the saddle in the run up. Should be a good event, with plenty of groups at varying speeds to join up with. Last time I did it the hill at the end almost killed me, but it was a super fast run in from there to the finish that made up for it. The Wall (hill before the first food stop) also tough, and there's one really steep hill about three quarters of the way in where a lot of people were pushing. All good fun though!
  • fidbod
    fidbod Posts: 317
    I don't know about anyone else who's doing HOTA this Sunday, but I have the fear. It turns out that I have all the kit but am still a bit sh1t...

You are not the only one... If I evade the attention of the sweep up wagon I will be doing ok. Anything sub five hours for me will be a reason for a few ales in the evening.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    fidbod wrote:

You are not the only one... If I evade the attention of the sweep up wagon I will be doing ok. Anything sub five hours for me will be a reason for a few ales in the evening.

Anything under 5 hours and I'll be well pleased. On the plus side, it's probably too cold to
    stop, which should shave 5-10mins off my time.
    exercise.png
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326

Streetcar!
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Coriander wrote:

Streetcar!

Streetvan!

Actually i might be driving down in a van. Not sure how big it is yet but i may be able to offer a lift to someone.

I will also be a bit sh1t but as far as i'm concerned it'll be a social ride with cake.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I am basically pooing my pants about Sunday.

Any great sportive tips and tricks chaps!?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Sewinman wrote:

Calm down.
    Have a good breakfast a couple of hours before the start.
    Take the first few miles very steady. Don't go too deep on the first hill.
    Drink something every 10-15mins. There were loads of bananas at the first feed zone last year. Have a couple but don't stop for too long. Repeat at the next stop.
    Take a couple of bars with you, maybe a gel if you really run out of energy.

Morgan, you've done some decent rides lately so you'll be fine.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    JonGinge wrote:

*Bows head and nods to wise and comforting words from Sensei Ginge*

*whispers* I will try not to disappoint you Sensei.

Cheers!
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227

What time are you starting?

I am starting at 10.00. I have been feeling a bit crap the last couple of days but hopefully I will be feeling better by then.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • I'm starting at 9am - so I'll see you whizz past me at some stage no doubt! Be nice to the girl on the Orca who's looking shattered please...
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    JonGinge wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

Calm down.
    Drink something every 10-15mins. There were loads of bananas at the first feed zone last year. Have a couple but don't stop for too long. Repeat at the next stop.

Wise words indeed. I'll add my tuppence:

+1 to taking the first few miles steady. People will practically sprint out of the blocks - do not be tempted to follow them (I fall for this every damn time :oops: ).

Make sure you keep topped up on food, it you start to feel hungry then chances are the damage is already done!

If you can, find a group that are going your pace, or a pace you feel comfy with. Remember it's far easier in a bunch, but do take your turn at the front, not doing so is bad form! If the pace is too higgh/low then drop out.

It's your first Sportive so take it easy and you'll have a blast.

Have fun kids. I have the missus moving in this weekend so will be carting boxes around. Thank god the new gaff has a lift!
  • I'm off at 9:20 - still waiting on the weather/road conditions before I decide which bike to ride - any signs of frost/ice I'll be riding my winter hybrid hack as I have already had 1 tumble off my best bike this winter and don't fancy another one! I have done imperial centuries on the hybrid before (albeit slowly!), so it'll be fine either way!

Look forward to seeing everyone out there - forecast looks cold, but clear, so I am off to try and find some extra layers for my fingers and toes!
  • JonGinge wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

Calm down.

Wise words indeed. I'll add my tuppence:

+1 to taking the first few miles steady. People will practically sprint out of the blocks - do not be tempted to follow them (I fall for this every damn time :oops: ).

Make sure you keep topped up on food, it you start to feel hungry then chances are the damage is already done!

If you can, find a group that are going your pace, or a pace you feel comfy with. Remember it's far easier in a bunch, but do take your turn at the front, not doing so is bad form! If the pace is too higgh/low then drop out.

It's your first Sportive so take it easy and you'll have a blast.

Have fun kids. I have the missus moving in this weekend so will be carting boxes around. Thank god the new gaff has a lift!

+1

partically out of the start, pick a spinny gear and smell the roses for a mile or two.
  • bigmat
    No no no, from the start attack your friends, especially if there is a nice big hill - push them as far into the red as possible then cruise off into the distance leaving them broken. Its the "Hell" of the Ashdown after all! :twisted:
  • jonginge
    MatHammond wrote:
    No no no, from the start attack your friends, especially if there is a nice big hill - push them as far into the red as possible then cruise off into the distance leaving them broken. Its the "Hell" of the Ashdown after all! :twisted:
    Optionally fitting your bike with a rear-facing smoke/oil/tacks dispenser. :lol:
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • JonGinge wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:
    Optionally fitting your bike with a rear-facing smoke/oil/tacks dispenser. :lol:

That's reserved for Etape Caledonia :wink:
  • bigmat
    JonGinge wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:

I like the way you're thinking!
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    MatHammond wrote:

You go for it. I'll be taking my time, with the hope of having enough left to finish.

Worth getting a group after the 2nd climb, but other than that it's up or down, so will be
    keeping to my own pace.
    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Ca ... hdown-2010
    exercise.png
  • jonginge
    markshaw77 wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:

That's reserved for Etape Caledonia :wink:
    Wasn't me. I was nowhere near. In fact I was not in the country at the time. What day was it?
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides