Silly Commuter Sportives

Comments

• Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    biondino wrote:
    Attica wrote:
    itboffin wrote:
    I might also add that there are several totally flat sportives down here in the SW each year, around the new forest alas I was unable to attend either work + injury but they do sound like the kinda perfect venues for a mass SCR sportive ride.

This is a lie!

Depends on your definition of a hill!

Furzedown (especially after 93 miles) IS my definition of a hill!

Try Hardknott and Wrynose after 100 :shock: That really sorts the men out from the boys
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    On the principle of starting as I mean to go on, I'm off to do a couple laps on the way home tonight

Well, that was a bit of a disaster :-( Something in the bottom bracket area has started making weird noises; only happens when I put the power down, making it annoyingly difficult to trace. But despite taking it easy because of that, I then managed to break the rear axle. Contemplating whether to search round for a replacement axle for a 20-year-old 6-speed hub, try to find a new (6-speed) wheel to fit a 20-year-old bike, or just throw the whole lot in the Thames :-(

I think the bike is taking out its revenge on me for ordering a replacement; Condor Agio should be ready in early Jan. In the meantime, sounds like I'll be doing 28 miles a day on the Brompton...

CJCP, excellent suggestion for Richmond interval training!

Unlucky! The Brompton should be good training, at least! :)

If you don't fancy the hills, and want to add on just a few miles, you could turn over Richmond Bridge, tunr left before St Margarets, through Twickenham, into Hampton, turn left at the river heading towards Ham Ct Palace, left at the roundabout, all the way to Kingston Bridge, and either up through Hampton Wick and Teddington, or over the bridge up to Richmond thorugh Ham etc.

This adds about six or seven miles to my commute home.

Bikely.com is good for having a play round with some routes.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Rich158 wrote:
    Attica wrote:
    In a fit of enthusiasm, I've just entered the Cornwall Tor
    http://www.kilotogo.com/index.php?optio ... vent_id=12

anybody care to join me?

mmmmmm, I may be tempted. There's just a few bits and pieces to sort out and I may be on, looks like fun :lol:

excellent, hope you can make it
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Nom          No           Route       Start time
    Shoulder     643          110K           09:00
    mathammond   25           110k           09:00
    BentMikey    116          110k           09:00
    TheStone     36           110k           09:00
    markshaw77   610          110k           09:20
    CJ           709          110k           09:45
    JG           549          110k           09:45
    Attica       829          110k           09:55
    Amnezia      820          110k           09:55
    gabriel959   660          110k           10.00
    Phreak       787          110k           10.05
    Lbaguley     835          110k           10:05
    Sewinman     838          110k           10:05

I'm in for Hell too. Great early season ride.
    Main plans next year are Flanders in Apr and Morzine in Jun.
    exercise.png
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    TheStone wrote:

Nice. I think the Joux Plane is my favourite alpine climb to date: it's beautiful in the summer sunshine
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Rich158 wrote:

Try Hardknott and Wrynose after 100 :shock: That really sorts the men out from the boys

+1, I was crying like a baby!
  • bigmat
    JonGinge wrote:
    Nice. I think the Joux Plane is my favourite alpine climb to date: it's beautiful in the summer sunshine

I love the Joux Plane, scene of my greatest cycling victory! 58 minutes with a bullet... :D
  • Rich158
    MatHammond wrote:
    Rich158 wrote:

+1, I was crying like a baby!

You didn't get stuck in the hail storm between the two last year did you. The most unpleasent experience I've ever had on a bike. I'm going back next year for yet more punishment :roll:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Rich158
    TheStone wrote:

I'm in the Hell too, god knows what number but I'll be in London phoenix kit and starting about 9ish

Revised FCN - 2
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Rich158 wrote:

Did it in 2008. Never, ever again. I'm sure people were dying between those climbs.
    10h17 of brutal cycling!
    JonGinge wrote:

Have done the Joux Plane 4 times now. Latest was the best at 1h20. Nowhere near Matt's 58mins.
    Did the Morzine sportive this year. Very tough. JP was closed, so they just added loads of climbs on.
    MatHammond wrote:
    I love the Joux Plane, scene of my greatest cycling victory! 58 minutes with a bullet...

Your blood is still being tested in a lab near Paris.
    exercise.png
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I'm feeling somewhat inspired by this thread to enter one near London or maybe down south in Dorset if there are any? Make a change from my central London commute and actually be a test of fitness.
  • cjcp
    TheStone wrote:
    MatHammond wrote:
    I love the Joux Plane, scene of my greatest cycling victory! 58 minutes with a bullet...

Your blood is still being tested in a lab near Paris.

:lol:

Me thinks it's definitely On. Flanders could be hard core. :)

@iPete - check out the Southern Sportive series on the Cyclosport website. I think there's also the Isle of Wight Randonee - a few guys and girls on here have done that, I think. StuAff? Linsen? Highclere is a route near Newbury.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    :idea:

Just had an idea, the ride i'm planning this weekend I could take it partly off road ie CX :shock: if the desire is there?!?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    There would be, but I'm not around. (Off to Montreal :D )
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    So who's doing the what used to be called the Highclere sportive?

13th June 2010
    http://www.cyclegb.co.uk/

Even though the CommuniCat 51 mile route is different, I might enter, might?, okay I will be entering, it was good training this year for the Dragon ride, so hopefully will be again.

51_profilea.png
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Looks like a perfect first sportive for me. Just need to figure out whether the 80 mile route is a bit too ambitious...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • cjcp
    Very do-able. Remember that you'll probably be training on your own, but it will be a lot easier if you ride with a group during the event. So, if you can comfortably ride 50 miles on your own, you should be in good shape for it.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • bigmat
    Kent Killer on 17 January - nice warm up for Hell!
  • So, who knows of a sportive that doesn't start at stupid o'clock in the morning? That's a major obstacle for me... why so early?
  • itboffin
    It needs to start early so you can spend the rest of the afternoon strutting around telling everyone how it so nearly could have been a win!
  • cjcp
    According to my club website, entries for the Marmotte open on Tuesday.

Soooooo, this just got a little more real...
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin wrote:
    It needs to start early so you can spend the rest of the afternoon strutting around telling everyone how it so nearly could have been a win!

We're not all you, y'know... :wink:
  • itboffin
    itboffin wrote:

We're not all you, y'know... :wink:

Anyone who ridden with my on a sportive will know that i'm pretty quiet at the end :lol:
  • jonginge
    cjcp wrote:
    According to my club website, entries for the Marmotte open on Tuesday.

Soooooo, this just got a little more real...
    As it happens I'm WFH on Tuesday. I wonder if it'll be as busy as trying to get glastonbury tickets... :lol:
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjcp
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • itboffin
    Evans cycles organise regular social sportive style rides and even offer demo bikes, i've just signed up for the 10th Jan 100km Chieveley sportive and a demo Trek Madone 5.2 :D

And it only cost £10 to enter :D
  • And the Evans ones you can start up to 9.30am, LiT, though if you start late, there will be no-one to draft with as it's all the fun distance riders who start riding then. Having said that, it does morale a power of good to overtake lots of people (not something that happens much to me!).
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    itboffin wrote:
    Evans cycles organise regular social sportive style rides and even offer demo bikes, i've just signed up for the 10th Jan 100km Chieveley sportive and a demo Trek Madone 5.2 :D

And it only cost £10 to enter :D

Chieveley. Hmm, that's not too far from me. I could be tempted, I need a reason not to just give in to winter lethargy and general Christmas excess. Or rather, something to work towards to work off all those mince pies :lol:

(caveat: if it snows I'm not going)
    Misguided Idealist
  • And the Evans ones you can start up to 9.30am, LiT, though if you start late, there will be no-one to draft with as it's all the fun distance riders who start riding then. Having said that, it does morale a power of good to overtake lots of people (not something that happens much to me!).

Ooooooh interesting!

I don't mind an 8am start or something, but they all seem to want you there at 6am! 6am FFS. That's just plain daft.
  • jonginge
    And the Evans ones you can start up to 9.30am, LiT, though if you start late, there will be no-one to draft with as it's all the fun distance riders who start riding then. Having said that, it does morale a power of good to overtake lots of people (not something that happens much to me!).

Ooooooh interesting!

I don't mind an 8am start or something, but they all seem to want you there at 6am! 6am FFS. That's just plain daft.
    :shock:
    Chris and I arrived at HOTA just before 10 this year. There was a rushed 10 min sign-in and off we went (a bit late, if truth be told). It really depends on the sportive; how rigid they are with start times; how long they are and how popular. These days sportives fill up very quickly.

The marmotte, though, is going to be ridiculously early due to the length and severity of the course... *whimper*
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides